FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/)
-   -   Can I bring a tripod on a plane? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography/1964268-can-i-bring-tripod-plane.html)

namtuge Apr 6, 2019 3:10 pm

Can I bring a tripod on a plane?

To the best of my knowledge tripods are not on a list of prohibited items. Yet, I keep hearing stores of TSA and/or gate agents refusing to allow them with carry-on baggage. Do you have any experience to share?

socalflying Apr 7, 2019 6:41 am

Mine folds up enough to fit in my carry-on bag, have taken it on several flights, no one has ever said anything about it.

hockeyinsider Apr 7, 2019 7:26 am

It's official: yes.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../items/tripods

jamcoley Apr 8, 2019 1:58 am

I've never had any issues with bringing my tripod as a carry on or stored in bag. Although I would recommend carrying on.

chongl Apr 16, 2019 2:56 pm

I've always put my tripod in my checked bag

alanslegal Apr 16, 2019 8:27 pm

Checking in at DPS a few days back for a VA flight, my wife's selfie stick was confiscated at security screening :o

abmj-jr Apr 16, 2019 11:54 pm

I have always put my tripod inside a piece of luggage. Usually carry-on, occasionally checked. Never had a problem. I can't see any reason to try to carry one aboard "naked." If a tripod cannot be folded enough to go in a rollaboard, it should probably be replaced with a tripod designed for travel.

Hezu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 31009021)
I have always put my tripod inside a piece of luggage. Usually carry-on, occasionally checked. Never had a problem. I can't see any reason to try to carry one aboard "naked." If a tripod cannot be folded enough to go in a rollaboard, it should probably be replaced with a tripod designed for travel.

It is indeed nice if the tripod is light and folds down into small size, but on the other hand the primary criteria in selecting a tripod should be that it is suits your needs: tripod is no good if it is too flimsy for your chosen camera equipment. For example the telephoto lenses used for wildlife photography can be heavy and you want a sturdy tripod for those.

chipmaster Apr 18, 2019 11:30 am

I've successfully brought it on with my backup filled with high end gear, yeah it looks like a pretty big club, but when going with a backpack full of equipment was never a problem.

Loren Pechtel Apr 21, 2019 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 31009021)

Originally Posted by Hezu (Post 31013600)
It is indeed nice if the tripod is light and folds down into small size, but on the other hand the primary criteria in selecting a tripod should be that it is suits your needs: tripod is no good if it is too flimsy for your chosen camera equipment. For example the telephoto lenses used for wildlife photography can be heavy and you want a sturdy tripod for those.

I don't recall the model but I did find a tripod that's both short and sturdy. It accomplished that by adding another leg segment--the result is that it's fatter and I would guess a bit heavier than something of the same strength but using fewer segments.

nancypants Apr 22, 2019 1:03 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal (Post 31008560)
Checking in at DPS a few days back for a VA flight, my wife's selfie stick was confiscated at security screening :o

i think selfie sticks are prohibited by The Hague convention

jamcoley Jun 6, 2019 12:48 am

Originally Posted by chongl (Post 31007644)
I've always put my tripod in my checked bag

I'm the same but have had friends have tripods on their carry-on with no problems.

Usha Bilgi Dec 18, 2019 12:32 pm

tripod on a plane

I will be flying next week decided to take my tripod, in my handbag, smaller one would love to take bigger one but after reading all the messages rather not, and will be leaving selfie stick at home.

sea_jeff Dec 19, 2019 10:01 am

I always have a Gorillapod in my carry on just in case. When I know I’m going to be able to do some shooting on a trip my go-to has been a Benro Travel Angel. Good tool for the job and fits in my carry on domestically without a problem.

satman40 Dec 19, 2019 11:22 am

Benro TA great, but it depends on the tripod collapsed size,