Wiki Posts
Search

Can I bring a tripod on a plane?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by satman40
Benro TA great, but it depends on the tripod collapsed size,
Yep - it has served me well. Just got a new toy. Peak Design Travel Tripod in CF. Backed the Kickstarter a while back and it’s here. So far - I love it. Killer design and super compact. Works with all my plates and L brackets.

Will see how it fares in actual use shortly. It’ll easily work for carry on.
satman40 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
It’s not a matter of what is legal to carry as much as what tsa / local security will allow. I travel with both monopods and tripods that fit completely inside a backpack. In the last four years I have been told to put a mephoto backpacker into check baggage and had a monopod confiscated in FRA because it was 2cn too long to carry on board even with a camera mount and camera.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by satman40
Benro TA great, but it depends on the tripod collapsed size,
MeFoto (a Benro brand) tripods are small yet sturdy. They also take a standard Arca Swiss plate.

I've never had a problem, but I also usually don't bring my smaller tripod(s) unless I'm not checking a bag. I usually am able to get away with either strapping a monopod to my carryon (or I put it in the water bottle pocket) and/or bringing my smaller Manfrotto tripod as a personal item. I usually just throw my large Manfrotto tripod into a checked bag diagonally. You'll see plenty tripods as carry-on/personal items during events like solar eclipses.

I suppose TSA might take issue with your tripod if it has spike feet.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by diburning
MeFoto (a Benro brand) tripods are small yet sturdy. They also take a standard Arca Swiss plate.

I've never had a problem, but I also usually don't bring my smaller tripod(s) unless I'm not checking a bag. I usually am able to get away with either strapping a monopod to my carryon (or I put it in the water bottle pocket) and/or bringing my smaller Manfrotto tripod as a personal item. I usually just throw my large Manfrotto tripod into a checked bag diagonally. You'll see plenty tripods as carry-on/personal items during events like solar eclipses.

I suppose TSA might take issue with your tripod if it has spike feet.
Mine has spiked feet, never had a problem, you help yourself by setting it out so they can check it if desired
Old Jul 5, 2020, 5:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Interestingly, I flew down to Cabo, MX recently. No problems with my tripod (brought a spotting scope to watch whales from my balcony at the Waldorf Pedregal) on the USA>MX legs in a carry on.
On the way BACK, Mexican airport authorities pulled it from my backpack and were like "nope."
I did the amateur "But they didn't have a problem coming IN..." excuse, even though - like scales lifted from my eyes - I now saw "NO TRIPODS" signs everywhere around security.
I even schmoozed the security person, who seemed like they could have wavered a waiver / it all seemed a little discretionary and laxidaiscal .
Then, I did the reasonable thing of trying again, at a different entrance. Because I'm a firm believer in "if at first you try and fail, try again".
No bueno. They gave me stinkeye and I had to check my bag with the tripod in it.

Anyway, just a datapoint.

Wasn't a large tripod: A super light carbon fiber one that has served me well for a couple years. Zomei 669c model. Worth checking out, especially in light of the Peak carbon prices. Extends really tall (60") for how small it compacts (15"), reasonably small diameter, sturdy, and inexpensive to boot! I've got a few massive ones from Xiletu that I wouldn't travel with unless I needed them. This is my "toss it in a backpack" sized one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PRM3H1A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PRM3H1A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
For a tripod with a folded length exceeding carry-on dimensions (including diagonal), has anyone tried to bring it in a backpack not completely closed? So, the legs would stick out by another 1-3". Would that be a problem?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hyedmd
For a tripod with a folded length exceeding carry-on dimensions (including diagonal), has anyone tried to bring it in a backpack not completely closed? So, the legs would stick out by another 1-3". Would that be a problem?
I would think that would be considered oversize. That 1"-3" would occupy space either your feet or another bag should have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.