Travelling/flying with an SLR camera?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling/flying with an SLR camera?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
If you want the camerabag on location, fill it with clothes and put it in yout checked bag.
and wrap you camera etc in t-shirt ot similar in your carry-on.

Unless you really want a new camerabag anyway ;-)

- DanishFlyer
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Thank you DanishFlyer.
Yes, you're right. That can be an option too.

My current camerabag is fine for it's purpose for everything other than being a streamlined travel accessory, suitable for airline travel.
I will have a look around and see if purchasing a new camerabag can be a justified expense.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1
Loren Pechtel /abmj-jr - Thank you very much for your replies and advice. That's good to know from your personal experience.
I will then check with the various airlines that I will be flying with.

Shamefully I am not very good at packing efficiently for these long trips.
I will already have a checked bag, with my carry-on backpack about 50% full (and that includes a laptop computer).
If my camera won't qualify as a personal item with the airlines I will need to reconsider my packing and see how much of my carry-on items I can get into the checked bag.
It could be possible! Otherwise I may need to leave the SLR at home which will be a shame.
Unfortunately due to my travel itinerary,camera hire (in the destination country) won't be feasible on this particular trip.

Thanks again.
Cheers
My laptop lives in a backpack that just barely qualifies as a personal item on most airlines. The camera bag occupies most of my rollaboard. Most everything else goes checked.
Adam1 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
My laptop lives in a backpack that just barely qualifies as a personal item on most airlines. The camera bag occupies most of my rollaboard. Most everything else goes checked.
Thank you Loren. This seems to be the packing option I will need to try and replicate.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:19 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
YMMV: I've done many a trip with RollerBoard ( BR International ), Tumi Backpack, and then a small sling bag carrying a Nikon Df and 4 prime lens.

Domestic US airline, except for overzealous GA enforcement never had problem with above carrying. International airlines are well known being strict on domestic flights to be both size/weight restrictive as well as # of articles.

I've also seen many travels just carry by strap their DSLR and superzoom as third or even fourth item. Not advocating that, but naked camera usually is accepted as uncounted as long as you are comfortable getting it squeezed below seat or in available space in overhead.
Adam1 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. Thank you for your reply chipmaster.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Here is a trick I learned from photographer that I travel with on a lot of tours together. He was with a group of photographers in Churchill, Manitoba photographing polar bears a few years ago. They took train to get there but on the way back there was a huge snowstorm that covered train tracks and all trains were cancelled. Train company offered to book all of the photographers onto plane that would take them to Calgary. They all had their photography bags that were OK weight wise for train but were over the limit for plane. They all had to scramble about moving all of their equipment between each other and involved a few non photographers who would be on same flight.

Lesson learned that day - airline can restrict weight of the bags but cannot restrict what you carry yourself. To lower the weight of their bags they put some of their lenses in the side pockets of their jackets and carried DSLR on their neck / shoulders with a strap. I planned to do it last November when I was in Bali and travelling on airlines that had similar weight limit.

PS. I was coming back from Yellowstone 2 weeks ago and there was a guy on my plane that carried 2 huge snowboarding shoes tied up together around his neck. They would not fit into his carry on bags and he already had other boots on.

Last edited by Fine Art Landscape Photographer; Jan 24, 2019 at 2:31 pm
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Fine Art Landscape Photographer - Thank you, another interesting reply. Wearing items around your neck is a handy trick to know. I would think that the allowable size of those items would vary between the airlines. I'll have to research that for next time.
Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:53 am

I am often travelling with my photo/video gear backpack with, ff camera, drone, batteries and lenses as a carry-on bag. For take-off and landing I take out my camera to take some pictures or video for my review. Never had a problem, cabin crews seem to be used to 'trip reviewers'
Adam1 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
My 'camera bags' dont look like 'camera bags'...

I have a modified rectangular padded, divided liner that I can stuff into one of two backpacks. I keep my bits and bobs in zippered pouches- not inside defined zippered compartments in a 'photo backpack'. I can put the camera or the lenses in individual padded pouches for travel to and from, or leave them bare inside the pack when I am out shooting. I can select a subset of what I need- be it the whole pack and a tripod, or the camera in one hand and a spare lens in the coat-

Point is that when I am walking, moving I dont look like a rich tourist with a ton of camera equipment in a swiss-army-knife, LowePro backpack. I look like a deadbeat with a dirty backpack.

For years I had a hard side samsonite wheeled carryon- had two actually- from the outside it looked like a beater. Inside it was lined with foam and dividers. Even had a way to lock it with looped cables, to a pipe, radiator or steering column in a car...and treat your memory cards like a passport, except you can replace the passport.
Adam1 and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:07 am

I am into Nature and Wildlife photography and I use a 500mm prime telephoto lens for most of my shots. I generally carry my camera gear in a camera backpack which can easily go inside the overhead compartment of the flight. So, go for a camera bag which fits inside the overhead compartment. It is not recommended to carry the camera on lap when in flight
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:59 am

What about the EOS RP ?
The smallest full frame SLR available due to lack of a mirrorbox and a decent price. And it mounts all EF and EF-S lenses, beside its native RF mount.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by airsurfer
What about the EOS RP ?
The smallest full frame SLR available due to lack of a mirrorbox and a decent price. And it mounts all EF and EF-S lenses, beside its native RF mount.
A Single Len's Reflex (SLR) without a mirror box???
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The EOS-R/P line is mirrorless so technically it isn't an SLR.

That said, it is an excellent choice for travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.