Sony A6000

Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:27 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Sony A6000

Anyone have this one or any other of the 6000s? How does it pack? I currently am a "carry-on" only flyer and like to continue that. Right now I pack my DJI spark in my carry on and will be adding this camera if I get it. Does it take up a lot of space when broken down?

And how is it for landscape shots? Will the lens kit suffice?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I use one of these and love it. It is fairly small with the kit 16-50 lens. For landscapes you can look at the sony 10-12mm lens or even a third party 12mm. I usually travel with the kit lens and a Sony 35 mm F1.8 lens.
nh100 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:01 am

I have had one for about five years and it is well worth the money, especially at the current pricing. It was nearly double the current price when I purchased mine, but I got an open box special that significantly reduced the price. It does travel well and produces some really nice images. Not as good as full frame sensors but close. The main downside if you plan on using multiple lenses is that the variety and quality of the lenses available for Sony E mount are not as good as for other brands. That is slowly changing as more are coming to the market. There are adapters that allow the use of other brands and mounts, but I have not tried any of those.

If you do decide to purchase one, I do have a couple of precautions. The first is that since this is a mirrorless camera, the sensor is exposed when the lens is removed and dust naturally heads right to it. Buy one of those large Rocket Blaster blub type air blowers and it will do a nice job blowing away dust. Also, be very careful with the battery/SD card cover. It is easy to break off if accidently left open. Also, there is a small metal clip on that cover that holds the slide lock mechanism to the cover and it comes off too easily and the mechanism falls out. It is an expensive part and not easy to replace. After I had this happen, I put a small dab of superglue gel on one of the tabs of the metal frame that mates to the plastic part. That should keep it from working loose easily I hope.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:17 am

I had one of these as well and I agree with makeUturn's comment about the price point (and I would just never remove the kit lens).

I bought as part of some discount deal from Amazon. I despised this camera and would have been thrilled if it broke.
It was no fun to shoot with at all. I dropped it a lot; it was in the rain quite a bit, the menu system drove me nuts, I couldn't get my head around the EVF and I can go on an on.

But I'm thinking of getting another one if it's on sale in Jan....why?

It took some of my favourite images and I could always have it in my coat pocket/backback and not worry about it too much.
The IQ from the sensor is pretty darned good (and I'm a D850 shooter) and the result was usually satisfying.

But as a photographic experience? Nah...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
I have one, and love it. I've carried it around the world in my backpack, though I generally check a bag for international trips, but I carry mine in a Peak Design Every Day Backpack and on short trips, that's usually all I need for clothing, camera, etc.

I usually carry the camera, the 16-40 f/4 Zeiss lens as a walkabout, and the 30 f/1.4 Contemporary from Sigma. I've carried it all over while exploring the cities I land in, it does take great photos, and despite other comments, I, personally, had no problem transitioning from a SLR with OVF to this with the EVF. Couple this with a small tripod and a shutter release like the Pluto Trigger and it's all I've needed for just about any situation. (Note, I'm not a pro, so my needs vary).

Full disclosure, however, I am looking at replacing it with an A7R III in the next year, but that's no fault of the a6000, it's just my desire to have a full frame camera, rather than an APS-C crop sensor.

My only complaint about the Sony is that there's a limited selection of E-Mount lenses available that are any good. Sony has a few, as does Sigma, but that's about it (I know there are others out there, but the Sony and Sigma lenses seem to be the best reviewed and the only ones I've really tried, to be fair).
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
I have the a6300 (along with NEX5T )with the lens Zeiss Sonnar 24mm f1.8. I'm very happy with it especially for landscape and night shots.
So yes you should definitely go for it.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:02 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
I'm loving this camera. For me it's serving it's purpose. It's a step above my cell phone camera. Just took a trip to Argentina and had no issues whatsoever and it performed. I might need another lens for my landscape shots though. Full disclosure I did buy a Tiffen ND polarizer and step downs.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I have an A6000 too.. I have two kit lenses, but probably 99% of my shooting with it are using my "regular" SLR and rangefinder lenses with adapters. That's actually why I bought the camera - it lets me use some really old (but good!) lenses on a digital camera for the first time. The camera takes great pictures, within reason. Exceptions include very long telephoto shots with the kit lens, and high-ISO shooting in dim light.

Not a fan of the menu system, and I was bugged for a long time by how easy it was to accidently press the Video button while handling the camera and waste battery power because its sitting on the car seat for twenty minutes filming a video of my upholstery. Battery life is pretty short too, at least in comparison with my Nikons. If I use the Sony on a Saturday, I MUST charge the battery if I plan to use it again on Sunday. Or else I have to stay home.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Battery life is pretty short too, at least in comparison with my Nikons. If I use the Sony on a Saturday, I MUST charge the battery if I plan to use it again on Sunday. Or else I have to stay home.
Or buy some extra battery packs. I carry at least two spares in my backpack because the battery life IS a bit short, especially if you're shooting a lot (I tend to shoot 3 shot brackets for everything, to allow for HDR later on). That said, for spares, I'd opt for the Sony batteries, not the cheaper Chinese generics as they only last about 75% of the time that the Sony ones do, IME.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Yep, I have one spare.... I'm doing well if I have both fully charged ahead of time. Too often I forget and when I check the spare, I find its down to 18% or some low number like that. That's my fault though.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:29 pm

I carry the a6000 and the dji spark in my carry on. ALso for dive trips, use an underwater housing with lights specifically for the a6000. Great camera. Shoot in raw, edit in lightroom, boom.l
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
I have the A5100 (almost the same camera) and when I travel "lite", I carry this camera with the small kit lens. As other already said, it is very portable. For me, it provides adequate quality photos for less than 1/3 the packing volume as my full frame DSLR. That number gets even smaller when you consider my other lens that I always carry with my DSLR...

Other important considerations others haven't mentioned:

USB charging - don't need to carry another charger! But it also mean you can't use the camera while it is charging.
Battery life suck, but the stock battery should be able to get you 100-200 shots, so plan extra batteries accordingly. (I only need 1 extra in my style of sightseeing/photo taking)
Low light focusing suck with this camera and stock lens! (Well, I'm comparing to my Canon full frame with lens down to F2.8 so it is not fair...)
Because of the small size/weight, you can get away with using one of those mini pen-size tripods or small gorilla pods for night shots.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:39 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jcnyc
I carry the a6000 and the dji spark in my carry on. ALso for dive trips, use an underwater housing with lights specifically for the a6000. Great camera. Shoot in raw, edit in lightroom, boom.l
I bought it everything has been great. This is exactly what Ive done, carry-on life.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:22 am

Too much hassle

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
Or buy some extra battery packs. I carry at least two spares in my backpack because the battery life IS a bit short, especially if you're shooting a lot (I tend to shoot 3 shot brackets for everything, to allow for HDR later on). That said, for spares, I'd opt for the Sony batteries, not the cheaper Chinese generics as they only last about 75% of the time that the Sony ones do, IME.
Same here. However, I have not noticed any difference between the Sony vs the third party batteries in terms of charge retention (number of shots). To charge batteries overnight, I charge one in the camera body, and two more with a "Vivitar USB dual port charger for Sony NP-FW50 battery" from Amazon.

They take up two USB ports on a multi port charger. And two USB cables. Packing and carrying all these just for one camera is no fun.

BTW, ditto for the Sony RX100, which I carry as a spare. Same problem, charging setup, and hassle.

One reason I miss my good old film camera.

Last edited by getmethere; Jan 16, 2019 at 9:40 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:34 am

Try, and try again

Originally Posted by chunky649
Low light focusing suck with this camera and stock lens! (Well, I'm comparing to my Canon full frame with lens down to F2.8 so it is not fair...)
Yes. After every shot, I would display and zoom in to check focus. If not in focus, shoot and check again.

What does this do? Drain the battery.
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.