Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Are selfie sticks acceptable?

Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Many ridicule them but they are still used.

Let me know your thoughts ... are selfie sticks acceptable?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:32 am

If they serve a purpose and make you happy then they're most certainly acceptable. Just don't get in other people's way while using them.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Depends what you mean by "acceptable".

Many museums have prohibited them due to damage caused. Other places have prohibited them because they interfere with other guests and generally just cause problems.

Don't even think about bringing your selfie stick to these tourist destinations

If you're alone and/or don't care about interfering with others, and they're not prohibited, then they are "acceptable".

I find them the equivalent of the old fashioned vacation slide show. Narcissistic exercises that no one else cares about in which you miss seeing what's actually there to see because you're too busy taking your own picture.

Personally, I prefer my memory of laying on a bench for 10 minutes and staring at the Sistine Chapel ceiling, tracing the intricacies of the painting, over looking at a picture of me looking at my phone down near my feet with a few pixels of the ceiling in low resolution in the background.

But maybe that's just me.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
This was hashed to death a couple of years ago and inevitably deteriorated into rancor and side-taking. I predict the same will happen here. It will eventually become a "selfie stick versus tripods" thread.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
Personally, I prefer my memory of laying on a bench for 10 minutes and staring at the Sistine Chapel ceiling, tracing the intricacies of the painting, over looking at a picture of me looking at my phone down near my feet with a few pixels of the ceiling in low resolution in the background.
Isn't photography forbidden in de Sistine Chapel? When I visited guards were constantly walking around making sure nobody took pictures but it's 10 years ago so perhaps things changed
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by TimDP
Isn't photography forbidden in de Sistine Chapel? When I visited guards were constantly walking around making sure nobody took pictures but it's 10 years ago so perhaps things changed
It's still forbidden. Ah, memories of the guards constantly yelling "Quiet Please!" and "No photos!" Definitely lessened the experience of the Sistine Chapel.

One of my favorite Rome memories is sitting at the Trevi Fountain eating gelato and watching all the people with their selfie sticks who had their backs to the Trevi Fountain the entire time, and never actually looked at the fountain with the naked eye.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:13 pm

IMO no. There's a reason people refer to them as the "Staff of Narcissus." That said as long as you use a little common sense when you use them and follow rules regulating/forbidding their use you should be fine. If you're going to let your kids use one make sure they're not waving them around smacking people. I nearly throttled a kid after she smacked me in the head for the second or third time in under 10 seconds knocking my glasses almost completely off my face the last time. He father quickly told her to put it away after that. Didn't get an apology from either one. It's a good thing they didn't get completely knocked off my face and broken or I would have had serious words with her father.

edit: found the previous thread on the topic.

Selfie Sticks
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sure they’re ok. So are fanny packs and sandals with white socks.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
edit: found the previous thread on the topic.
That's the one. Pretty much everything to be said on the subject.
gobluetwo likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: none
For me, they still are. I travel alone often so I have to use selfie sticks to capture that moment. If I use just my arms, my face takes up a big chunk of the space whereas using a selfie stick allows the view to be seen. As long as you don't bother any other tourists or you use it in a secluded area where there aren't many people and as long as you aren't hurting anyone, selfie sticks should be acceptable to use. You do you, boo.
nh100 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:51 am

Keeping your mug out of your own pictures allows even more of the scene to been seen.

But hey. You do you.
nancypants and CDTraveler like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by wrp96
It's still forbidden. Ah, memories of the guards constantly yelling "Quiet Please!" and "No photos!" Definitely lessened the experience of the Sistine Chapel.

We visited the Sistine Chapel several years with a special guide who took us around the Vatican starting about 30 minutes before the regular tours. it was just the 3 of us. In the Chapel, I asked our guide if I could take photos. She said something to the guard, he shrugged and literally turned his back. I took some great shots while lying on the floor. I think we tipped the guard before leaving.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Although lot’s of modern travel habbits annoy me, the use of selfie sticks doesn’t bother me at all, provided that people who are using them have some situational awareness. Unfortunately, many do not which can make it a nuissance.

Last edited by Great_circle; Jun 27, 2019 at 9:05 am
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jackb1
Many ridicule them but they are still used.

Let me know your thoughts ... are selfie sticks acceptable?
Well, they aren't acceptable (being used) while on Shinkansen platforms.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There are no bad selfie sticks, just bad selfie stick owners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.