FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/)
-   -   Question about taking pics induce airport and on the plane? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography/1923674-question-about-taking-pics-induce-airport-plane.html)

YSL5577 Aug 5, 2018 9:19 pm

Question about taking pics induce airport and on the plane?

Not sure if this is the correct forum section?

I will be doing RTW with in a few months and bought my first expensive camera. The A6500 series.

Is there a restriction as to what I can capture as photos and videos? Are there certain spots where photography may not be allowed?

Can someone give me some guide on how to take better videos and pics?

Even how create my first trip report.

LtKernelPanic Aug 6, 2018 11:23 pm

In general in the US, at least photography (and video) in an airport or on a plane isn't much of an issue. A few things to be aware of:

The TSA generally allows photography at checkpoints provided you're not capturing the screens on their screening equipment. As always with the TSA this can change by the minute.

At US CBP (passport control and immigration) inspection areas it is banned and doing so will likely get you a stern lecture to and possibly a lengthy visit to secondary. If you're a member of a trusted traveler program you may potentially lose membership for violating this rule.

Gates/Planes: Most airlines generally don't prohibit it unless you're taking pictures of their staff or other pax without their permission. General shots of a gate area or interior of a plane aren't usually an issue. Remember the interior of a plane *is not* a public place. Aircraft are privately owned and the usual generally accepted rules of photography in public do not apply. If you have a recent smart phone you may want to use it in crowded areas such gate areas because they're a lot less noticeable and obtrusive as a DSLR or even a m4/3 camera.

Just remember if asked or told to stop do it. It's not work an creating an incident that may cause you to miss a flight or even up in legal trouble.

As for creating trip reports go look at the TR forum and look at how others have written up theirs and go from there.

Hopefully others can offer advice for other countries.

CMK10 Aug 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Every so often you might run into a rogue agent who has a problem with pictures. I've had gate agents and supervisors order me to stop taking pictures at gates and lounge agents at lounges. Some have been polite about it, others quite rude. I've learned to be subtle about things.

g289t Aug 28, 2018 8:55 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 30083585)
Every so often you might run into a rogue agent who has a problem with pictures. I've had gate agents and supervisors order me to stop taking pictures at gates and lounge agents at lounges. Some have been polite about it, others quite rude. I've learned to be subtle about things.

I enjoy trip reports on YouTube. One thing I notice is that they often film while boarding and deboarding the plane. I've been told to stop videoing when deboarding already.

I'm wondering how they do it. Does it work to do something like turn your camera on and hang it around your neck so it is pointing forward? I've already seen the one side of a zipper on the edge of a video, which would indicate that this is how the videographer was filming.