Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for travel camara

Old Aug 1, 18, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I have a Canon 6d, but looking for a smaller camera that can take great quality picture and is small and easier to carry around. Thank you!
Old Aug 1, 18, 7:42 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ G, CI Em, QF G
How small is small? interchangeable lens?

As a pocket-size camera I take a Sony RX100 v3, next size up I go for the Sony A6000/A6300/A6500 cameras.
Old Aug 2, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
this is one of those nearly impossible questions to answer.

I switched from Nikon DSLR to Olympus micro4/3 system and have been quite happy with it. Excellent quality lenses that are a fraction of the size and weight. My whole kit fits into a very small pack. Great IQ. I have lots of large prints on my wall that I shot with the system.

But if you're looking for a point and shoot I really like my Panasonic LX10. 1" sensor, lots of nice features - much cheaper than the Sony RX100s. I do miss the EVF though.
Old Aug 2, 18, 1:55 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I agree with Glen. I am an Olympus m4/3 guy.

That said, if you are a Canon loyalist, several of the Canon pros I know carry a Canon G3X as a small back-up. If that is more than you want to spend, the G9x mk2 is not bad.
Old Aug 3, 18, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS DL
If you have a Canon 6D, consider a Canon EOS M100 which, with an adapter, can use all the Canon lenses you have for your Canon 6D. The Canon EOS M100 is smaller than the 1970's 35 mm film rangefinder cameras or, in other words, a medium sized camera. Think smartphone sized except much, much, much thicker.

If that is too big for you, there are many small point and shoot cameras.
Old Aug 6, 18, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all your answers, even the question is kinda hard for you guys to answer. I will dig deeper and find one to fits my need.
Old Sep 11, 18, 9:55 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by glennaa11 View Post
this is one of those nearly impossible questions to answer.

I switched from Nikon DSLR to Olympus micro4/3 system and have been quite happy with it. Excellent quality lenses that are a fraction of the size and weight. My whole kit fits into a very small pack. Great IQ. I have lots of large prints on my wall that I shot with the system.

But if you're looking for a point and shoot I really like my Panasonic LX10. 1" sensor, lots of nice features - much cheaper than the Sony RX100s. I do miss the EVF though.
Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
I agree with Glen. I am an Olympus m4/3 guy.

That said, if you are a Canon loyalist, several of the Canon pros I know carry a Canon G3X as a small back-up. If that is more than you want to spend, the G9x mk2 is not bad.
Sorry for the late reply, I use Olympus m43 equipment for my travel shots and love the system! They have an enormous selection of lenses in the m43 eco system and you should read the buying guides on DPReview.com and if possible go to a local camera store and actually hold whatever camera that you are considering in your hands.
Old Sep 19, 18, 11:29 am

Location: Continual long-term travelling since 2016 (4 continents, 26 countries, ~80 cities)
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite, United Silver, Hertz Five Star, Etc.
There's no doubt about it, Sony's RX100 series has better optics but from our research, if you want pocket-ability and a long range optical zoom (more than 3-5x) you'll be hard pressed to find a better camera than the Panasonic LUMIX ZS100. It's not perfect, we wished its low light performance was better.

It weighs 11 ounces, has a 10x optical zoom, a wide-angle lens (F/2.8-5.9 aperture, 25mm-250mm), shoots 4K Ultra HD photo and video, and has a 20 megapixel sensor.

FYI, Panasonic refreshed this model with the LUMIX ZS200 (which has a 15x zoom) but the optics and speed seem to have notably suffered.

Imaging Resources has a wonderful tool that compares the photos (of the same subject/content) being shot by different camera side by side that we highly recommend before buying a camera! The tool really helps to take the guess work and subjectivity out of most reviews.

Happy Travels!
Old Sep 19, 18, 8:21 pm

I think the answer also depends on what you like to photograph. For example, if you like street photography, landscapes etc, then you might find that a fixed lens camera with a 35mm equivalent focal length of about 21-40 is going to serve your needs quite well. If you, like me, like to photograph animals who are often some distance away from you, then you might want a camera with a zoom that covers the range you need. Are you going be focusing in lower light sometimes? If so, you'll want a "fast lens" (e.g. f 2.8 or lower). Do you want to shoot in RAW so that you can retrieve more data from the image? Do you want to be able to shoot in manual or semi-manual mode?

Search this Thread