Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Checkin a Pelican Bag?

Checkin a Pelican Bag?

Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Checkin a Pelican Bag?

I have a Pelican case and thinking whether I should check the bag in. I have 2 DSLRs, a 400mm and 200mm and other lenses. I'm flying HKG-DOH-NBO.

1) Is it secure to check all the gear in? Not from a security point of view but whether the pelican case is secure enough so the gear won't break?

2) Any thoughts on whether it is safe to check-in? I.e. security (theft?)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bagold
I have a Pelican case and thinking whether I should check the bag in. I have 2 DSLRs, a 400mm and 200mm and other lenses. I'm flying HKG-DOH-NBO.

1) Is it secure to check all the gear in? Not from a security point of view but whether the pelican case is secure enough so the gear won't break?

2) Any thoughts on whether it is safe to check-in? I.e. security (theft?)
Security wise, no way!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I would put secondary equipment in the checked case - tripods, lights, filters, etc. Cameras and lenses would go in a carry-on or camera backpack and stay with me. No way would I check the expensive stuff.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) Yes.
2) No.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
No sure why the site put this post on the front page for me but its quite appropriate, was flying with similar load of gear on flights where there was no carry on allowance to bring the cameras in the plane with me and all was fine checking it on 9 flights in Southeast asia, and then on the flights home where I probably could have talked my into bringing it in the cabin I checked it and this happened...

But the gear inside was fine

Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Security wise, no way!
Really?

I use a Pelican 1510 as my regular bag, check it almost every time I fly and have never had a problem beyond ham-fisted TSA opening it in second search when I'm not there to close it up nicely. Camera equipment, bottles of alcohol....everything....I have never for a second worried about the contents of the case. I'll take my pelican over my old music equipment flight cases any day.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madone59
Really?

I use a Pelican 1510 as my regular bag, check it almost every time I fly and have never had a problem beyond ham-fisted TSA opening it in second search when I'm not there to close it up nicely. Camera equipment, bottles of alcohol....everything....I have never for a second worried about the contents of the case. I'll take my pelican over my old music equipment flight cases any day.
TSA locks are not secure, period. And a Pelican case screams "valuable".
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Myself and friends frequently transport $30-40K in demo equipment via Pelican cases. 100 flights/year on average for all of us, and never had a problem. Opened and not repacked to my liking, but nothing ever missing. Shipped the same Fedex case via Fedex one time, and it arrived with a nice crack in it... Haven't bothered with a lock on any luggage in 20 years, as its a waste of time.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:27 am

Likewise, never had a problem with BA. Insurance brings peace of mind though.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:07 am

TSA locks are not secure, period. And a Pelican case screams "valuable".
Ya, I don't bother with locks.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
And a Pelican case screams "valuable".
That's the whole problem. You can check in a Pelican, but you just will never see it again.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by alangore
That's the whole problem. You can check in a Pelican, but you just will never see it again.
And how many Pelican cases have you lost?

People use them every day on who knows how many flights without issue. I'm not saying that theft doesn't happen, but it also happens with normal, non-pelican cases, soft-sided luggage, duffels, etc.

If I don't have an extraordinary amount of expensive kit, I'll carry on and check everything else. But if I have a lot of kit, it will get checked. I've checked pelican cases (even small ones like the 1450) full of computer equipment and have never lost one piece on many international flights. And most flights I'm on have at least one or two pelican or similar cases that show up in baggage claim.

Is it a concern? Yes. Is it something that happens in epidemic proportions? Doubtful, and not likely in absence of hard data to the contrary. But also, if you're carrying enough expensive equipment that you need to protect it in expensive hard cases AND check it, you can afford (and are stupid not to buy) insurance on that kit in case it DOES go missing.
abmj-jr likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by alangore
My pelican has been through a four hour layover in Lagos and an overnight hold when transiting in Johannesburg. On both accounts it came back to me just fine and un-pilfered - you think I worry about a nice bottle of wine flying out of LAX or my camera flying out of CLT........nope.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.