Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance for Camera Equipment

Travel Insurance for Camera Equipment

Old Jun 1, 18, 10:52 am
Original Poster
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 1,183
Travel Insurance for Camera Equipment

Does anyone purchase travel insurance specifically for their camera gear? I've searched and searched and 100% of the policies I've found cap coverage for camera gear at $500 (where as the total payout could've been upwards of $4,000). Just curious what you all do to protect your gear insurance wise? Do you just depend on your homeowners (subject to a 1K deductible for me), get a personal articles from somewhere like State Farm, or just take the risk?

I've not had it happen to me before, but you never know. Losing a new camera/lens could be quite the costly event.
ChiefNWA is offline  
Old Jun 7, 18, 11:45 pm
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 20
A Personal Articles Policy / Inland Marine policy is the best way to go. Your homeowner's insurer might be cheapest -- but might not be. State Farm usually has good coverage, but check with your broker as well. A good PAP includes coverage for "mysterious disappearance" and worldwide coverage.
sgent is offline  
Old Jun 8, 18, 10:12 am
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
Posts: 731
I've had a rider on my home policy, as long as it isn't a business the cost is pretty reasonable.
chipmaster is offline  
Old Jul 23, 18, 2:58 pm
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Posts: 560
Athos Insurance.

I use for my gear (personal and business) and depending what specific options I select, you can cover about 20-25,000 usd worldwide.

It excludes countries currently sanctioned by US treasure dept. (iran, dprk, sudan, yemen to name a few)
rivlinm is offline  
Old Jul 26, 18, 2:49 pm
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: Hertz PC
Posts: 11
I use a special photography insurer in the UK: https://www.photoguard.co.uk
It worked out cheaper getting a policy with them than trying to get my gear covered under my home or travel insurance.
HamishBurns is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread