FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/)
-   -   Micro Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography/1908517-micro-photography.html)

Madone59 May 9, 2018 8:54 am

Micro Photography

I got a set of tubes and taking a swing at my first attempt at Micro Photography. Anyone else shoot micro?

Water web:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/904/4...9b020805_c.jpg

stacehumphrey May 11, 2018 1:55 am

Wow! What an amazing shot! What camera did you use? Can you please give me some tips in taking pictures like this?

Madone59 May 12, 2018 5:19 am

Originally Posted by stacehumphrey (Post 29741416)
Wow! What an amazing shot! What camera did you use? Can you please give me some tips in taking pictures like this?

Thanks, I guess I will keep shooting :cool:.

I use a Samsung NX30, which is out of production, but you can do this with any camera that will accept micro extension tubes. I got a set on Amazon for $30. My only suggestion is to use a tripod. For the grass I used a mini tripod right on the ground.

abmj-jr May 12, 2018 11:41 am

This sort of photography is called "wet belly photography" by serious practitioners - for fairly obvious reasons. You have to get right down on the same level as the subject and up close to get good results. I did a lot of this sort of thing when I was still able to get around more easily, back in the dawn of time. Age and infirmity tend to slow one down a little. ;)

Extension tubes are a good way to get started in micro (Nikon's word) or macro (Canon's word) photography. They allow you to focus closer than standard lenses alone. If you really get into it, you may want to look into dedicated micro/macro lenses, which can be pretty pricey but also can extend the possibilities. This is a rewarding branch of photography for those willing to put in the work.

stacehumphrey May 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 29745320)
Thanks, I guess I will keep shooting :cool:.

I use a Samsung NX30, which is out of production, but you can do this with any camera that will accept micro extension tubes. I got a set on Amazon for $30. My only suggestion is to use a tripod. For the grass I used a mini tripod right on the ground.

Thanks for the suggestion! I would try it and I will post soon my photos.

abmj-jr May 14, 2018 1:13 am

..: I use a Samsung NX30, which is out of production, but you can do this with any camera that will accept micro extension tubes. ...

I am sure the questioner understood this but it bears emphasizing. Macro extension tubes fit between the lens and the camera body, extending the focusing distance. That means that they are only useful on cameras that accept interchangeable lenses. Point and shoot cameras with fixed lenses won't work. It also means that the tubes must be made to fit the particular type of camera. Tubes made for a Nikon lens mount will not fit on a Canon camera and lenses. Be sure whichever set of extension tubes you order are specified for your camera/lens mount or one that is compatible.

Madone59 May 14, 2018 6:54 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 29750902)
I am sure the questioner understood this but it bears emphasizing. Macro extension tubes fit between the lens and the camera body, extending the focusing distance. That means that they are only useful on cameras that accept interchangeable lenses. Point and shoot cameras with fixed lenses won't work. It also means that the tubes must be made to fit the particular type of camera. Tubes made for a Nikon lens mount will not fit on a Canon camera and lenses. Be sure whichever set of extension tubes you order are specified for your camera/lens mount or one that is compatible.

The title of the article I linked to was "How to Use Extension Tubes for Macro Photography" :p

Also: Spider
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/828/4...1a92cd50_b.jpg

sbm12 May 18, 2018 4:56 am

Macro, not micro. :-:

I've done some over the years. It can be a fun way to see a different take on a subject.

JennyT Jun 5, 2018 3:05 pm

Waouhh it is great ! Did you use a specific camera ?

Madone59 Jun 11, 2018 6:35 am

Originally Posted by JennyT (Post 29832848)
Waouhh it is great ! Did you use a specific camera ?

willah Jul 8, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi, you have shared a great pic here which if you don't mid I would like to make my screensaver.

Thanks!

hastasiyizdede Jul 9, 2018 12:49 pm

wow! it's a success

Madone59 Jul 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by willah (Post 29952356)
Hi, you have shared a great pic here which if you don't mid I would like to make my screensaver.

Thanks!

I don't mind at all - glad you enjoy.