Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Your checked bag may already be insured

Old Mar 7, 18, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My renters policy includes $150,000 in valuables insurance and I called my agent and they verified that it covers anything stolen in a checked bag. Homeowners policies work this way too. At least in the United States. You may want to check in case you have to check bags that include your camera equipment.

Sometimes you have to gate check or plane side check.
Old Mar 7, 18, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by richard View Post
My renters policy includes $150,000 in valuables insurance and I called my agent and they verified that it covers anything stolen in a checked bag. Homeowners policies work this way too. At least in the United States. You may want to check in case you have to check bags that include your camera equipment.

Sometimes you have to gate check or plane side check.
Yep, homeowners insurance covers equipment under the 'personal property' amendment of the policy. No need to fall for the scams of camera insurance.
Old Mar 7, 18, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Just keep in mind that the deductible and potential rate increases based on claims may impact claim decisions.
Old Mar 7, 18, 7:57 am

also make sure you get a police report, otherwise the insurance company will laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.
Old Mar 7, 18, 4:57 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Make sure you get, in writing, from the insurance carrier that your photo equipment is covered.

"professional equipment " and "income from photography". Are two common excuses.
Old Mar 7, 18, 5:01 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
also make sure you get a police report, otherwise the insurance company will laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.
most police will not do a report unless you have proof of what was put into your bag that was stolen.
Old Mar 9, 18, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Just keep in mind that the deductible and potential rate increases based on claims may impact claim decisions.
That's what would give me pause. It really better be worth it to file a homeowner claim. I probably wouldn't file unless it was multiple times my deductible. And my homeowner's policy (from Costco) had $ amounts on various categories. You may want to check to see if electronics has a separate limit.

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
most police will not do a report unless you have proof of what was put into your bag that was stolen.
I think it depends on where you are. I live in a suburb with low violent crime. Decent amount of property crime though. I was broken into. Police detective just said, "just give me a list of what you think was stolen and I'll put it in my report." And he did. Unfortunately, I had a limit on the $ amount you can claim for the one category the thief stole and I blew way past that.
Old Mar 9, 18, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
I think it depends on where you are. I live in a suburb with low violent crime. Decent amount of property crime though. I was broken into. Police detective just said, "just give me a list of what you think was stolen and I'll put it in my report." And he did. Unfortunately, I had a limit on the $ amount you can claim for the one category the thief stole and I blew way past that.
The police report at an airport where you had items stolen from your bags has a disclaimer that the missing content was base on the verbal statement without any verification.
Insurance companies usually ask for more evidence that the stolen items were actually in the bag when it was checked in before they will pay the claim.
Old Mar 9, 18, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

"professional equipment " and "income from photography". Are two common excuses.
One of my friends is a makeup artist who travels with a kit that's worth over $10k. Apparently, most of her colleagues assume that they have coverage under their homeowner's/renter's policy, but this is doubtful -- as one of her friends found out when her place burned down and the insurance denied payment for the makeup kit because it's professional equipment. My friend has called various insurance agents, but it's difficult to find insurance for her kit. She often declares excess valuation on her checked luggage, but this is time-consuming and doesn't always work because many airline staff have no idea how to do it.

Search this Thread