Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying a DSLR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by wco81
The weight difference of the body is just 100 grams, which I was disappointed to hear. The A7 was 450 grams, the A7II was 550 grams and the A7III is now 650 grams.

You're probably right about Nikon lenses being bigger than lenses for mirrorless but VR lenses often have smaller apertures so non-VR might be 2.8 but the VR version will be 4.0. For instance, I went for the 70-200 f4 rather than the f2.8. Besides the price difference, I didn't see a way to carry that 2.8 along with other photo and electronics so easy on my carryon.

We'll have to wait for the A7III to actually come out but some of the sample shots posted on DP Review are not that impressive.

I'm going to see what Nikon releases with mirrorless. There seems to be high confidence that Nikon will release both DX and FX mirrorless this year. But it will take them awhile to build up a collection of dedicated lenses.

But you'd expect Nikon will offer ergonomics more similar to their DSLRs than the Sony A7 ergonomics. Where Nikon may not match Sony is in video as well as overall electronics, like NFC, Bluetooth, USB 3.1, etc.
What Nikon mirrorless are you guys taking about? Nikon has the 1 series which is all but abandoned, and I haven’t heard anything about a Nikon half or full frame mirrorless camera planned.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Nikon is expected to introduce mirrorless cameras with DX and FX sensors.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Nikon is expected to introduce mirrorless cameras with DX and FX sensors.
This would be compelling as I’m currently looking to downsize - any details/sources on that?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:55 pm
Suspended

All mostly speculation but from several sources.

Nikon's 2018 | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are already amazing mirrorless cameras. Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus all make superb cameras that are mirrorless. If Canon and Nikon jump in, unless their lenses stay with the same mount, they may have a tough time. And it isn't the bodies that are so heavy, so often it's the lenses.

I have a micro four thirds Lumix and everything is just smaller and weighs less including even the best glass. Although lately I am shooting mostly full frame, many times I'm going to the MFT as it is just much less bulky including the glass. I have a walkaround type zoom and the camera body and it is perfect for street photography both in terms of not weighing that much, and in not being so intimidating as a big DSLR.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Nikon certainly would be starting from scratch as far as building up a lens collection for their mirrorless cameras.

But I think Canon has a mirrorless already, M50 or something like that.

Regardless, I'm sure they will put out adapters to make the cameras work real well with their DSLR lenses.

I'm wondering though if it would be possible to produce a mirrorless which is about the same size of the D750 -- so comparable handling -- but make it say at least 30% lighter. Not having a prism is a good start but could they use lighter materials but still make the bodies strong enough to secure some of the larger FX lenses?

Maybe using lighter but as strong or stronger materials would make it impossible to keep costs down though.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Mirror box and prism are the two big weight saving.
The question is the lenses - you would need a line of lighter mirrorless mount to take advantage of the thinner body made possible without the mirror box.
Then there is the weight of the adapter to use existing lenses.
My autofocusing (with built-in motor) Leica M to Sony A mount is not a lightweight but it is well made of the proper material.
Where I am getting most of the weight saving is the weight of the M lenses and the ability to auto-focus them with my aging eyesight.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I find the hassle of always carrying my DSLR worth it. If I'm just walking around the city, I'll usually just use the strap as I typically only carry one lens. If I'm out shooting sunrise/sunset or something at night that requires a tripod, I bring my full backpack. I looked at switching to Sony or Olympus to save bulk and weight, but TBH, once you switch out the kit lenses, they're roughly the same size and weight. I decided that simply wasn't worth the hassle.

I use my Note 8 to take simple travel photos (the kind you share with FB or messenger to someone) but otherwise everything else is shot in RAW and edited in post later on.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by richard
If Canon and Nikon jump in, unless their lenses stay with the same mount, they may have a tough time. And it isn't the bodies that are so heavy, so often it's the lenses.
Well I really don't understand why Canon and Nikon make their newest DSLRs mirrorless. A hypothetical Nikon D850 or Canon EOS 5 without mirror box would be less bulky and yet, mount all Nikon resp. Canon lenses (and even mount all lenses with an adapter), as the flange distance is far less due to the missing mirror box.
The existing EOS M series (APS-C) can mount all EF lenses with an adapter from EF-M to EF.
The current mirrorless of Canon and Nikon are APS-C only. Only Sony has full frame mirrorless DSLR's such as the A7 series. These ones can give the vintage lenses of the 1950s-60s a new life.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airsurfer
​​​​​​...
Only Sony has full frame mirrorless DSLR's such as the A7 series. These ones can give the vintage lenses of the 1950s-60s a new life.
Oldest lens I shot with my Sony A was 1935 vintage, Chateau Wetzlar.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:08 pm

But I think Canon has a mirrorless already, M50 or something like that.
Sort of. It looks good in a headline. Then you read the specs and realize they gutted it's headline feature (4K).

IMO, Canon and Nikon still don't have an up to date mirrorless offering.

I've put my A7 iii pre-order in. Nikon just lost another long time customer. They really need to stop focusing solely on Canon. Canon was never a threat to convert me because they never put out anything so class leading to make someone want to switch. Not for years (pretty much since the early days of DSLRs).
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codex57
Sort of. It looks good in a headline. Then you read the specs and realize they gutted it's headline feature (4K).

IMO, Canon and Nikon still don't have an up to date mirrorless offering.

I've put my A7 iii pre-order in. Nikon just lost another long time customer. They really need to stop focusing solely on Canon. Canon was never a threat to convert me because they never put out anything so class leading to make someone want to switch. Not for years (pretty much since the early days of DSLRs).
Nikon had the optics and mechanical precision. They were very traditional.
Canon took the lead having electronics in the company culture.
Sony with their electronic heritage tried being too proprietary initially but soon realize proprietary might no be a good thing; Beta VCR and memory stick come to mind. They refocus, with the acquisition of Konica/Minolta and parts of Zeiss plus their electronic powerhouse my money is on them.
Having a large collection of various classic optics I can use them all with my Sony A7rii, A6000 using adapters, including full focusing range.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:32 pm

I carry a Nikon D7100. Solved the problem by investing in one lens for closeups to long shots Nikon 18-300mm VR Review I combine the camera with a sling which I find more comfortable than a neck strap. Lastly, I carry a side bag which allows me to slip the camera in case of rain and it fits 2 bottles of water plus a light rain jacket and most important, keeps my money and wallet at my side, pick pocket proof.
https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passport-Sling-III-Protective/dp/B00J8V1INU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1520314038&sr=8-10&keywords=lowepro+camera+bag https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passport-Sling-III-Protective/dp/B00J8V1INU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1520314038&sr=8-10&keywords=lowepro+camera+bag
I got my bag for under 20 bucks. Shop around. If I am traveling 6000 miles I do not want to trust my shots to an iPhone. Mirror less will cost as much as your current setup and weigh about the same as the Nikon with just that one lens I recommend.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
While nothing can replace a DSLR, it is simply not meant to be an EDC camera.

Try an intermediate step for while - carry a quality point and shoot or even a lightweight bridge camera instead of the 70D. A P&S isn't much bigger than a cell phone; you can carry it on your belt or in a laptop bag or even (some models) in your pocket.

A good bridge cam, on the other hand, is halfway between the P&S and the DSLR. It's light enough to carry easily but has a lot of advantages over a P&S (longer zoom, more stability, often equipped with a viewfinder or EVF).

Cameras are not like cars; you don't have to limit yourself to just one for all situations. They're more like golf clubs - there's a perfect one for every shot. Just as a driver doesn't belong on the green, a DSLR doesn't belong at a casual dinner and a movie.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Cameras are not like cars; you don't have to limit yourself to just one for all situations. They're more like golf clubs - there's a perfect one for every shot. Just as a driver doesn't belong on the green, a DSLR doesn't belong at a casual dinner and a movie.
Good logic. How well does this work with wives?
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.