Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying a DSLR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update: bought a Peak Design strap - the wider one since it has padding for where it rests on your shoulder. I'm excited!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:45 pm

I've been using a generic black rapid strap. It helps a lot to distribute the weight (d7100, 17-50 f2.8)
Amazon Amazon

I recently got a backpack to travel with as well (currently on sale again) that I'll use on my next trip and see how I like it.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/manfrot...?skuId=6092823
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I switched to Sony a7riii which I love. It's so much lighter than my Canon 5D. I can use Canon lenses with an adaptor and the autofocus is pretty fast even with the adapter. Lenses are unfortunately, about as heavy whether Sony or Canon, but the camera is so light. Rent one and try it.

I use a micro 4/3s underwater where its adequate, but I don't like it above water. I can get really good sharp 20x16 prints from it.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by manneca
I switched to Sony a7riii which I love. It's so much lighter than my Canon 5D. I can use Canon lenses with an adaptor and the autofocus is pretty fast even with the adapter. Lenses are unfortunately, about as heavy whether Sony or Canon, but the camera is so light. Rent one and try it.

I use a micro 4/3s underwater where its adequate, but I don't like it above water. I can get really good sharp 20x16 prints from it.
Is it true the battery can be charged in-camera via USB-C?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going on a trip and in a bind, a good bind, as I have some amazing camera equipment. Most practical is my MFT Lumix and a few of its lenses. But the Sony beckons...either way I have a pocketable GR II Ricoh that is amazing and that goes with me everywhere these days.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Update: bought a Peak Design strap - the wider one since it has padding for where it rests on your shoulder. I'm excited!
Ya got me. That excitement is contagious. The bouncing effect has always bugged me with my current neoprene (or whatever stretchy material it is) strap. I just ordered the Peak Design system. The wide Slide, Capture clip, and Pro Pad. I really like the idea of hanging it off my waist and swinging it up when ready. I have a ThinkTank SpeedFreak that hangs at the waist and I really like it, except the back mesh area frayed after the very first use rubbing just against swim trunks. Wasn't thrilled with ThinkTank's lack of response so while I generally like the bag, the experience left such a bad taste in my mouth I just leave the bag in the closet (bought another Lowepro, backpack this time, and it never shows wear like all my previous Lowepros). Walking around did feel better with the weight at my waist, but it was slow getting it out of the ThinkTank bag. The clip attachment sounds like it will solve the speed aspect very nicely.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
I just suck it up and do it. The photos are worth the effort carrying the right bodies and lenses.
Ditto, though more and more, I only go around with one or two lenses, leaving the longer, bigger lens at the hotel, along with the tripod. But I pack them all the time.

I am supplementing with pants and videos from iphone but never travel without DSLR. In fact I revisit places to recapture with better camera.

However I am trying to hold the line on not going heavier than my Nikon D750, which is 750 grams. Nikon is suppose to be introducing a mirrorless full frame this year so I will see what that's like.

Sony just introduced the A7 III with the body just under $2000 for 24 Megapixel full frame. But at 650 grams it's not that much lighter than what I have.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:31 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I always was a Canon DSLR guy. I had the Rebel series and I would travel with 1 or 2 lens. The last few years, with the advancement of smartphone cameras, I pick if I will carry the DSLR around or not. On some trips, it's a easy decision (Namibia is a yes on DSLR, a weekend in XXXX usually is not). And of course weight restrictions on carry-on plays a factor in. I just changed over to the Sony A7ii and a new Sony lens. It's smaller, but it's not that much smaller than my old Canon, so I don't think it will be too much of a difference than what I did before.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:36 pm

I think we're gonna switch from the Nikon D750 to the new Sony a7 iii. Weight might not be a huge difference, but every little bit helps. Same for size. I'm not a large person so I can hold something even as small as an A6XXX just fine. That's actually my ideal size, but I'm too attached to the photo quality and abilities of full frame with pro level glass. With IBIS, I don't need lenses with IS. The non-VR 2.8 lenses from Nikon are already beasts. The VR versions are even bigger. For travel (my primary use), it's just too much for me.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by codex57
I think we're gonna switch from the Nikon D750 to the new Sony a7 iii. Weight might not be a huge difference, but every little bit helps. Same for size. I'm not a large person so I can hold something even as small as an A6XXX just fine. That's actually my ideal size, but I'm too attached to the photo quality and abilities of full frame with pro level glass. With IBIS, I don't need lenses with IS. The non-VR 2.8 lenses from Nikon are already beasts. The VR versions are even bigger. For travel (my primary use), it's just too much for me.
The weight difference of the body is just 100 grams, which I was disappointed to hear. The A7 was 450 grams, the A7II was 550 grams and the A7III is now 650 grams.

You're probably right about Nikon lenses being bigger than lenses for mirrorless but VR lenses often have smaller apertures so non-VR might be 2.8 but the VR version will be 4.0. For instance, I went for the 70-200 f4 rather than the f2.8. Besides the price difference, I didn't see a way to carry that 2.8 along with other photo and electronics so easy on my carryon.

We'll have to wait for the A7III to actually come out but some of the sample shots posted on DP Review are not that impressive.

I'm going to see what Nikon releases with mirrorless. There seems to be high confidence that Nikon will release both DX and FX mirrorless this year. But it will take them awhile to build up a collection of dedicated lenses.

But you'd expect Nikon will offer ergonomics more similar to their DSLRs than the Sony A7 ergonomics. Where Nikon may not match Sony is in video as well as overall electronics, like NFC, Bluetooth, USB 3.1, etc.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
When I made the switch from DSLR to mirrorless, I found the size difference was notable but the camera body weight was not a lot less. The major difference in my kit was the reduction in weight of the lenses. That was the main improvement.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
The weight difference of the body is just 100 grams, which I was disappointed to hear. The A7 was 450 grams, the A7II was 550 grams and the A7III is now 650 grams.

You're probably right about Nikon lenses being bigger than lenses for mirrorless but VR lenses often have smaller apertures so non-VR might be 2.8 but the VR version will be 4.0. For instance, I went for the 70-200 f4 rather than the f2.8. Besides the price difference, I didn't see a way to carry that 2.8 along with other photo and electronics so easy on my carryon.

We'll have to wait for the A7III to actually come out but some of the sample shots posted on DP Review are not that impressive.

I'm going to see what Nikon releases with mirrorless. There seems to be high confidence that Nikon will release both DX and FX mirrorless this year. But it will take them awhile to build up a collection of dedicated lenses.

But you'd expect Nikon will offer ergonomics more similar to their DSLRs than the Sony A7 ergonomics. Where Nikon may not match Sony is in video as well as overall electronics, like NFC, Bluetooth, USB 3.1, etc.
No, the VR is the same aperture. It just costs a lot more and is a LOT bigger. Just last week, DW and I were deciding on what to do with our camera equipment. The A7Riii was just too expensive, and with Sony's crappy ergonomics, it wasn't compelling enough. She's not thrilled with the performance of our 24-70 non-VR. We were trying to decide whether to get the VR version, but we'd probably only get about $1200 for our 24-70 and the new VR version costs about $2400 and is a LOT bigger (size and weight), totally adding on to really our only complaint about our current system. Don't think any image quality benefits will be worth the extra $$$ and weight/size. Don't really get enough benefit upgrading to a D850 either for our shooting and that thing is even bigger too.

Sony's 24-70 f2.8 costs about the same as Nikon's VR version, but at least it's about the same weight as the smaller non-VR. I can't remember if how it compares in size, but at least the weight savings is there. Any future lens from Sony is also going to have that benefit of not needing the weight of VR equipment because the body already does stabilization.

With the new A7iii, the cost is only a bit more than a D750. You get all the new connections like USB 3.1, NFC, etc (the D750 wifi is pretty awful), size is a tad smaller... there aren't a ton of downsides. Touch screen focusing and that eye tracking is gonna be really helpful. Sure the ergonomics suck in comparison, but having that "My Menu" function will help a lot. It won't convince everyone to switch, but there are finally enough benefits and they took a way enough killer downsides that I think it's the first full frame mirrorless to cause a noticeable amount of switching. Basically, the same impact the D750 had when it first came out.

Honestly, I have no confidence in Nikon releasing a mirrorless this year. Add that to how long it will take for them to build up their mirrorless lens lineup. I think they're actually in much better shape for the future than Canon, but if you've been waiting to switch, there's no longer any big reason to delay.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Mirrorless lenses can be smaller because there's no mirror so the sensor is closer to the opening of the camera.

However, any Nikon mirrorless will probably have some solution to allow using existing Nikon lenses probably, even if they're awkwardly too big for the body.

I may change my mind on the Sony once the Nikon mirrorless is out but I don't see it that compelling over the D750. Maybe if they put in at least a 36 Mp sensor on it, I'd be more tempted.

The 4K video is nice but it'd be more compelling for 4K60.

I shoot mostly on trips so there has to be a geotagging solution. There are devices for Nikon DSLRs but not Sony cameras, though apparently they have a way to do it with apps. on smart phones paired by bluetooth to their newer cameras. But I'd hate to be running an app. on my phone and using GPS just to geotag while I shoot.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For a good lightweight solution- try Mine:
A7III, Leica M autofocus adapter and a fleet of M lenses.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:45 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I used to travel with the camera bag. Now I just take the DSLR over the body with a cross body strap. It's always on unless I'm in a bad area; then it's inside a light jacket hidden from view. I don't bother with the camera bag since I didn't take it out during the day. I'm on an older Nikon D5100 with a 28-200mm lens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.