Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

Old Oct 9, 17, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I'm going to be spending a week in both cities starting next week. I'm just wondering where are some of your favourite vantage points to shoot photos in either cities?

I prefer to shoot with a tripod and I have heard lots of stories about tripods being prohibited in NYC. Any truth to that? Is there a way to use a tripod in Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, WTC Memorial, or Rockefeller? If I can't use a tripod in either place, is there a way or place in those locations to use a tabletop tripod?

Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 17, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I'm going to be spending a week in both cities starting next week. I'm just wondering where are some of your favourite vantage points to shoot photos in either cities?

I prefer to shoot with a tripod and I have heard lots of stories about tripods being prohibited in NYC. Any truth to that? Is there a way to use a tripod in Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, WTC Memorial, or Rockefeller? If I can't use a tripod in either place, is there a way or place in those locations to use a tabletop tripod?

Thanks!
Tripods are a hit and miss thing in cities. Expect to not be allowed to use them in public places like museums, etc. You might want to take a monopod if you're worried about stable shots.
Old Oct 11, 17, 6:52 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
I had planned a whole day of shooting last time I was in NYC, but due to the weather I called it off. I have however used a tripod at the WTC Memorial (not in the museum) with no issue, along with various shots along the streets in NY.

I did get 'yelled' at in Grand Central for a monopod even though they only prohibit tripods, but it is what it is. There are plenty of ledges you can set the camera on to stabilize it, so you should be good there.

This link has some great information as well.

Search this Thread