Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Will be deleting COMMENTS with 'Dead Photo' links.....

Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Starting next week I'll be deleting posts that have expired photo links. The biggest offender has been Photobucket and their recent decision to start charging excessive fees for storing photos which has led to many people abandoning their PB account.

Hopefully this should clear out some of the clutter of posts where photos are no longer visible.

If your posts are affected, and you have a different source from where you can repost the photos, please feel free to do so in the next few days.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I assume you mean you'll delete the posts, not the entire thread, correct? The title is somewhat misleading.

And what about where there's an ongoing discussion that just happens to have an included photo? Losing the entire post may make the thread flow nonsensical. Example - if in the Sensor Dust thread, someone posted an image of spots on their sensor, then went into great/valuable detail about how they fixed it, losing everything because of a bad link would lose a lot of valuable info. Can you just delete the image reference?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
I assume you mean you'll delete the posts, not the entire thread, correct? The title is somewhat misleading.

And what about where there's an ongoing discussion that just happens to have an included photo? Losing the entire post may make the thread flow nonsensical. Can you just delete the image reference?
Thanks for the idea. It will depend on the post. If the photo doesn't have a follow up post, I'll delete just the post. If it's easy to delete the post and the follow up posts I'll probably do that. It will be on a case by case basis depending how complex it gets. I'll start with the oldest posts and work forward, that will let me see just how messy this could get.

And yes, I won't delete the thread, just the posts. I've updated the title, sorry for the confusion.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just in this forum right? because there are so many posts with nothing but links?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
just in this forum right? because there are so many posts with nothing but links?
Correct, I've gone back to the first posts in the photo threads and there are a ton of dead links. I left the posts that have hyperlinks in their posts since most of those photos are still available.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i might help (finding) some, if you leave this thread open
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:15 am

Too bad if the listed action of deleting replies w dead Photobucket image links happened.

The Photobucket extortion evolved over time.

The current situation is the dead images have been restored.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
This could be a big job. The "Beautiful Images ..." thread alone has dozens of pages. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.