Search

Landscape Photography Near Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Landscape Photography Near Vancouver

Hi All,

I have a 24-hour layover in Vancouver in late October and was wondering if anyone had any tips for great landscape photography opportunities in / near the city.

I've heard good things about Lighthouse Park, Quarry Rock, and Lynn Canyon, but not sure how accessible those are. Would I need a car? And any suggestions for which part of the city to stay in?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Hi All,

I have a 24-hour layover in Vancouver in late October and was wondering if anyone had any tips for great landscape photography opportunities in / near the city.

I've heard good things about Lighthouse Park, Quarry Rock, and Lynn Canyon, but not sure how accessible those are. Would I need a car? And any suggestions for which part of the city to stay in?

Many thanks!

I went to Iona Beach Regional Park a year ago on the recommendation of a local photographer. It's very close to the airport. I used a car, but I think public transit might get you close. There are mountain views, walkways out into the water with views of planes landing and taking off. I'll try to upload the photo I took that is my favorite of my trip. Early morning.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...-regional-park
Attached Images  
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:39 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I have a 24-hour layover in Vancouver in late October...
That's the rain season so my advice is to play it by ear; the (beautiful) mountains to the north and up the Sea to Sky Highway (BC 99 toward Whistler) are likely to be invisible behind clouds, and unless you like being wet, other outdoors activities might be yucky.

So think about alternative and in-town activities that might be more appealing. For example, the Granville Island market is always colorful and busy; you can walk around Stanley Park (including some of the inland paths through old-growth forest) or see if there's any fall foliage remaining in Queen Elizabeth Park or the Van Dusen botanical gardens.

If the weather's mixed or unpredictable, I'd consider getting a car for a couple of reasons - mobility plus shelter from rain. You could take the day and drive up to Whistler and back; stop in Squamish along the Sea to Sky Hwy and see if you can figure out how many TV shows or movies have been filmed here (answer: lots.)

Or visit Lynn Canyon park for the (free) suspension bridge, or visit Vancouver's fishing port of Steveston (more TV shows, this time Once Upon a Time) or just drive around the city, visiting places like the Spanish Banks (beach with amazing views of downtown) or the Punjabi market on S. Main (at 49th.)

Or another day trip could be up to Squamish, then back to Horseshoe Bay and hop a ferry over to Langdale on the Sunshine Coast - a beautiful ferry ride and some fun little towns once you're on the other side.

Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I went to Iona Beach Regional Park a year ago on the recommendation of a local photographer. It's very close to the airport. I used a car, but I think public transit might get you close. There are mountain views, walkways out into the water with views of planes landing and taking off. I'll try to upload the photo I took that is my favorite of my trip. Early morning.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...-regional-park
Thanks very much for the tip, Bear4Asian!

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
That's the rain season so my advice is to play it by ear; the (beautiful) mountains to the north and up the Sea to Sky Highway (BC 99 toward Whistler) are likely to be invisible behind clouds, and unless you like being wet, other outdoors activities might be yucky.

So think about alternative and in-town activities that might be more appealing. For example, the Granville Island market is always colorful and busy; you can walk around Stanley Park (including some of the inland paths through old-growth forest) or see if there's any fall foliage remaining in Queen Elizabeth Park or the Van Dusen botanical gardens.

If the weather's mixed or unpredictable, I'd consider getting a car for a couple of reasons - mobility plus shelter from rain. You could take the day and drive up to Whistler and back; stop in Squamish along the Sea to Sky Hwy and see if you can figure out how many TV shows or movies have been filmed here (answer: lots.)

Or visit Lynn Canyon park for the (free) suspension bridge, or visit Vancouver's fishing port of Steveston (more TV shows, this time Once Upon a Time) or just drive around the city, visiting places like the Spanish Banks (beach with amazing views of downtown) or the Punjabi market on S. Main (at 49th.)

Or another day trip could be up to Squamish, then back to Horseshoe Bay and hop a ferry over to Langdale on the Sunshine Coast - a beautiful ferry ride and some fun little towns once you're on the other side.

Thanks so much, Gardyloo! Where were those two photos taken from? They're beautiful!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:57 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Thanks so much, Gardyloo! Where were those two photos taken from? They're beautiful!
They were taken from the ferry to Langdale (other return ferry passing) and at some little cove somewhere along the coast - north of the town of Sechelt IIRC. The whole coast facing the Georgia Strait is stunning, e.g.

and

Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
They were taken from the ferry to Langdale (other return ferry passing) and at some little cove somewhere along the coast - north of the town of Sechelt IIRC. The whole coast facing the Georgia Strait is stunning.
Got it. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.