Wiki Posts
Search

Travel with Rebel t6

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Travel with Rebel t6

Hi All,
I purchased Rebel T6 last Christmas for our family vacations.
With the new bans on electronics from the list of countries/airlines coming in to the US. How is everyone handling packing /checking in their camera?

are we able to take the cameras on an outgoing flights to your destination and then checking in luggage on the inbound flight tot he US? Are we able to gate check?

Iah - IST - CDG-AMM via TSK
AMM-IST-IAH on the way back.

thanks for any tips /advise in advance.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I don't think this is a settled area yet. Airlines are protesting some of the regulations as are passenger groups.

Without actual facts, I have had a few ideas that I might consider:

Is it possible to change your return itinerary to insert a "safe" airport before the flight back to IAH? Perhaps another leg from IST to CDG, LHR or any of several European hubs that are not on the list?

If you must pack your camera in checked baggage, I'd suggest removing all memory cards, which would be carried in your carry-on. That way, if the camera disappears, you would still have your photos. I might be tempted to mount my least expensive lens on the camera and try to carry the more expensive lenses in my carry-on as well, which would keep the replacement costs down if the camera disappears.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I don't think this is a settled area yet. Airlines are protesting some of the regulations as are passenger groups.

Is it possible to change your return itinerary to insert a "safe" airport before the flight back to IAH? Perhaps another leg from IST to CDG, LHR or any of several European hubs that are not on the list?

If you must pack your camera in checked baggage, I'd suggest removing all memory cards, which would be carried in your carry-on. That way, if the camera disappears, you would still have your photos. I might be tempted to mount my least expensive lens on the camera and try to carry the more expensive lenses in my carry-on as well, which would keep the replacement costs down if the camera disappears.
My understanding is that even lenses fall under the ban since they have electrical circuits etc. Fortunately for now the ban is not being seriously considered for expansion to include ALL ex-usa and to-usa travel.

Homeland Security stated that if airports follow protocols for screening, a need for a ban would not be necessary. I think they caught a ton of heat from the airlines and spun it to make it look like they're doing us a favor.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr

thank you ! its not possible at this point to rebook my return flight to CDG or LHR as i booked it on points and in business . its going to be hard for me to try to re-route at this time.

i did check my travel insurance and there is covered items such as camera up to 500 which is fine as the whole bundle i bought from amazon last year was around 470.

yes definitely i would take my memory card with me in carry on and copied on a memory stick with my wife ( who's coming on a separate flight few weeks later)

the ban is only to incoming flights correct? i should be fine if i carry the camera from IAH ->IST->CDG ( have few days in paris) then AMM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.