Drone photography

Old May 18, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
A recent one I took in Alaska.

mrvincent likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:29 pm

I am still looking for a best photography drone in 2018 under 100$

Originally Posted by Erhank
Anyone using drones for photography? Which equipment do you use? What are your experiences?
I am looking to buy Mavic 2 pro but my budget is restricted to under 1000$ so i am looking to buy DJI Mavic Pro which comes under 1000$. So it will be a good choice or i should go with something else?.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:07 pm

The Mavic is still a great quad honestly. I ended up getting the Mavic Air with the fly more combo instead due to its size and have been quite happy with it. Unfortunately since my Hawaii trip didn't happen this year I haven't flown it much other than at the park down the road from here.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
A recent one I took in Alaska.

Loving the texture and color, great job. What part of Alaska?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:11 am

I've just bought a Mavic Air and flown it once (to check the leaves in the guttering of my house). I've got a couple of weeks in Sweden in December and then a trip to HK, Cambodia, Vietnam, Bangkok, Sysdney and LA in Feb/Mar next year. What limitations / acceptability will there be about drone flying internatuoinally? I imagine that I would make people unhappy flying it over Angkor Wat but would be OK over a cliff near the Pacific Highway, but am i right?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:11 am

I highly suggest looking up the laws for each country you're planning on visiting. Some countries even bringing a drone with you can lead to massive fines. Others, such as Portugal, have weird laws IMO. You can fly almost anywhere as long as you follow their published rules and stay out of no-fly zones but if you want to take photos and/or video video it's not allowed without a (thankfully free) permit. Want to fly it over a beach at the coast? Not allowed without a different paid permit.

In the US you can generally fly in most areas as long as you keep it under 400 feet AGL, keep it within line of sight, and stay away from no-fly zones, such as airports. DJI's app will alert you of different restricted areas. If you're within 5 miles of an airport and want to fly you're supposed to notify the tower if there is one or the airport manager if there isn't one. As always local rules and regulations may vary. Legally any drone wighing over 250g must be registered with the FAA. The FAA's Know Before You Fly website has all sorts of info about flying them in the US.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:30 am

Great photos all! I like that drone make me take easier bird's-eye view photos.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don’t shoot a lot of videos but take a few short clips using iPhone.

Apple touted video stabilization but I was looking at my shaky 4K clips.

So for 1080p, there is OIS and something called Cinematic Video Stabilization, which is presumably EIS. But it is only available in 720p and 1080p.

Looks like there are handheld gimbals or stabilizers for phones which are under $200 but apparently you have to use their apps. to do the recording, so that you can control the app. from the gimbals hard controls.

These apps. Seem to get mixed reviews and may not support all the video modes that the phones are capable of. Seems like mostly Little known Chinese brands so uncertain about their app. support.

DJI is one of the better known brands in the market so that made me wonder if a drone might not be better, since it’s basically a stabilized, flying camera, with bigger sensors and better optics than any phone.

It would be mostly for landscapes anyways. Of course there are downsides, like the expense, the increasingly restrictive regulatory environment, pretty much everywhere.

Have anyone stopped using phones for landscape videos in favor of drones?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by skyccord
DJI Spark
All these pics are amazing!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:40 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by SJWarrior

All these pics are amazing!
Wouldn't know since the mods decided to delete em.

But to be honest with you, you do have to do a bit of post processing on the photos. What comes out the drone is not necessarily the best on it's on.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:44 am
Suspended

I've been reading about making hyper lapses.

They often involve using motorized mounts or rails or other specialized equipment, which is either too expensive or too big for travel. Some of this gear can also be used for panos.

Obviously a small camera on a foldable drone like the Mavics don't have the image quality of DSLRs. But a Mavic is smaller and lighter than my travel tripod. Many have gotten great results with panos and hyper lapses shot with drones but still a tradeoff between image quality and portability.

One the one hand, the bulk and weight of specialized gear make them impossible to use for a lot of situations. OTOH, regulatory restrictions limit the use of drones.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:08 am

You should check some youtube hyperlapse tutorials. All you need is camaera with grid on it's lcd / viewfinder I've been doing them without any tripods during my trips, as I always try to fit all my gear to my backpack. Well used neck strap is a great stabilization!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:55 pm

Palm Jumeirah, Dubai.

Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:16 am
Suspended

Nice!

Which drone did you pack?

They don't care in Dubai if you fly?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Nice!

Which drone did you pack?

They don't care in Dubai if you fly?
Taken with my Mavic 2 Pro. I live in Dubai and are registered to fly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.