Drone photography

Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by quick_dry
Mavic Pro, I don't think anything else comes close for the size that it can pack down to - Mavic with 5 batteries, filters and controller fits in a bag that is smaller than a Phantom or Solo on their own, let alone batteries and everything else.

I made the switch to it and describe it as "Now my drone fits in my carry-on luggage, beforehand, the drone _was_ my carry on luggage" (and you're hoping they don't check the weight)
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Some more recent shots from Lofoten in Norway. My Phantom 4 Pro isn't as portable as the Mavic but the image quality is worth it IMO.

Hamnoy

Henningsvaer
alanslegal and piotreq86 like this.

Last edited by bthotugigem05; Jan 14, 2018 at 8:27 pm Reason: adding words
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

I use Phantom 4 Pro
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Some more recent shots from Lofoten in Norway. My Phantom 4 Pro isn't as portable as the Mavic but the image quality is worth it IMO.

Hamnoy

Henningsvaer
These are really cool pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:51 pm

Anyone else get the Mavic Air?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:29 pm

Not yet but from the initial reviews I've watched I think I'll be picking one up this summer.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
I'm planning on ordering a Mavic Pro Platinum in a few days. It's spendy with the Fly More Combo but the combination or portability, image quality, range and battery life, and (with the Platinum) low noise make it the obvious choice for me. I'd like to wait a few months for the likely price drop it will get now that the Air is on the market, but I really want a month or so to become passable as a pilot before my upcoming trip to Costa Rica in early March.

Anyone here have experience or tips with all the various regulations across the globe? I know there are a few websites where you can look up the laws in different countries, but from some stories I've read, a lot of local law enforcement doesn't even know the laws well. On top of that fact, laws in this realm are changing very frequently. Any tips on how to deal with legal grey areas with UAVs generally? (This is another reason I like the Mavic over the Phantom line and larger hexicopters; it's probably easier to pass it off as a nice toy than a serious photographic device. Not that that distinction necessarily matters in a lot of locales, but it could be a factor in enforcement's perception.)
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Seems like anything larger than a Mavic Pro would require dedicating your carry on to the drone and accessories.

So some may have to choose between taking a larger drone or a DSLR kit on an overseas trip.

There are rumors of an updated Mavic coming this year which would have a 1-inch sensor.

I think a 3:1 zoom would be very useful as well but not sure they can fit that in a smaller drone.

I'd also be interested in doing panos which is where the zoom would be useful.
There are third party apps. Which promise to automatically capture multi-row or spherical pano shots, which make it sound like the drone could be like a gigapixel robot mount.Anyone try out any of the third party apps. for DJI drones?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:10 am

Two very good examples for Mavic Pro performance ...

Hamburg harbor (Germany)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbWCiDfmSQ

Wind Generators (North Germany)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF4AL42-auE
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Seems like anything larger than a Mavic Pro would require dedicating your carry on to the drone and accessories.

So some may have to choose between taking a larger drone or a DSLR kit on an overseas trip.

There are rumors of an updated Mavic coming this year which would have a 1-inch sensor.

I think a 3:1 zoom would be very useful as well but not sure they can fit that in a smaller drone.

I'd also be interested in doing panos which is where the zoom would be useful.
There are third party apps. Which promise to automatically capture multi-row or spherical pano shots, which make it sound like the drone could be like a gigapixel robot mount.Anyone try out any of the third party apps. for DJI drones?
I haven't tried out the third party apps yet but the DJI pano mode is awesome
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05

Hamnoy

Henningsvaer
wow those are crisp as hell, what did you use to tweak them afterwards?

To answer someone earlier, I've been lugging a dji spark around asia for 2 months and only really managed to use it once.... I saw security been pretty strict with someone at Angkor in cambodia forcing him to pack his away (I've heard about someone being deported next day for flying there). I've heard of 2 people having their drones confiscated as they entered myanmar at rangon airport (the only airport there that xrays your luggage on arrival), and a fair few signs around vietnam prohibiting it. In thailand now and hopefully will be able to use it in the next few days!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
One blogger said he was hassled when he was about to launch in some small Italian town to he walked about half a mile away and flew it FPV over the piazza he wanted to film.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:57 am

Thanks! I used Lightroom, Photoshop, and the Nik Collection suite for tweaking afterward. The Phantom 4 Pro raw files are surprisingly flexible so I was able to push and pull very well to suit the look I was going for.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Turntable-Evangelism
Love those photos from Drones!
Old May 11, 2018, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by alicet
Amazing clicks.
I agree! Those shots are amazing and I love it. It's an art.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.