Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

GoPro From Helicopter? Anyone?

Old May 29, 17, 7:13 am
Original Poster

This year when I head to Africa for a couple of weeks, we'll be moving between 3 or 4 lodges via a Helicopter transfer.

Was curious if anyone had ever attached a GoPro to the belly or nose of a Helicopter.

The suction mount I have is rated for over 150mph so it should be OK as far as staying attached (but I'll tether it anyway).

Operator says no problem attaching it, so I'm looking forward to the result.
Old May 29, 17, 10:08 am

Programs: (PM)AA UA DL SPG
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
Was curious if anyone had ever attached a GoPro to the belly or nose of a Helicopter.
Not a direct answer: Bradley Friesen is a Vancouver Canada Youtuber [1] who owns an R44 helicopter with several GoPro cameras attached, including at least 2 external. In his videos, they don't look like suction cups. I suggest looking at a few of the videos to get an idea of what's possible. He hasn't done an 'equipment' video. He's on twitter [2] if you wanted to try a DM.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1U...yBAVudD-3R5y3w
[2] https://twitter.com/bradleyfriesen
Old May 29, 17, 10:11 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
This year when I head to Africa for a couple of weeks, we'll be moving between 3 or 4 lodges via a Helicopter transfer.

The suction mount I have is rated for over 150mph so it should be OK as far as staying attached (but I'll tether it anyway).

Operator says no problem attaching it, so I'm looking forward to the result.
Done it in my previous career mounting a F2 with MD and gyro attached and remoted into the cabin. It was a Manfrotto or Foba (can't remember exactly) with 4 suction cups locked down by levers and safety cabled.

Originally Posted by reft View Post
Not a direct answer: Bradley Friesen is a Vancouver Canada Youtuber [1] who owns an R44 helicopter with several GoPro cameras attached, including at least 2 external. In his videos, they don't look like suction cups. I suggest looking at a few of the videos to get an idea of what's possible. He hasn't done an 'equipment' video. He's on twitter [2] if you wanted to try a DM.

If he own the bird it would most likely be a permanent mount to the craft.
Old May 29, 17, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I suspect you're going to have a very shaky result unless there's some type of isolation/stabilization between the chopper and the camera.
Old May 29, 17, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reft View Post

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Done it in my previous career mounting a F2 with MD and gyro attached and remoted into the cabin. It was a Manfrotto or Foba (can't remember exactly) with 4 suction cups locked down by levers and safety cabled.

If he own the bird it would most likely be a permanent mount to the craft.
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I suspect you're going to have a very shaky result unless there's some type of isolation/stabilization between the chopper and the camera.
Thanks for the tips and ideas.....I was curious just how bad image stability would be, but I guess there's only one way to find out. Worst case scenario is that I need to reformat the memory card because the video sucked. Best case, I get overhead shots of herds of elephants, etc.
Old May 29, 17, 11:16 pm

I've flown on a number of helicopters and every pilot I have come across are very cautious about anything that has the possibility of coming loose and hitting the rotor. I would be beyond shocked if a pilot would allow a passenger to attach anything to the outside of the copter. Even when I've done photography with the doors off or windows open they have been very strict about even allowing lens caps to be loose on the inside of the craft. I don't think I'd want to fly with an operator that allowed it...
Old May 30, 17, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirReadsAlot View Post
I've flown on a number of helicopters and every pilot I have come across are very cautious about anything that has the possibility of coming loose and hitting the rotor. I would be beyond shocked if a pilot would allow a passenger to attach anything to the outside of the copter. Even when I've done photography with the doors off or windows open they have been very strict about even allowing lens caps to be loose on the inside of the craft. I don't think I'd want to fly with an operator that allowed it...
I thought that would be an issue as well, but when I ask the pilot whose helicopter it is, she said it wouldn't be a problem and that she's had other people do it in the past. I suspect if its attached via clamp or suction and has a tether, that maybe they're more comfortable with it. Keep in mind this is a South African outfit, so maybe they operate under less stringent rules.

I've had them attached inside of LH cockpits on delivery or other speciality flights in the past so I'm hoping I can raise the bar on the kind of video I can capture.
Old May 30, 17, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I found this -
. It looks to be fine, stability-wise.
Old May 30, 17, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I found this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzRUSY8jhbw. It looks to be fine, stability-wise.
that's excellent quality! Thanks!

Search this Thread