Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Zoom lens attachment for iPhone SE

Old May 7, 17, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM

Looking for a good quality zoom lens that I can aattach to my iPhone. We are going to Zambia for a family vacation and I want to get some decent pics without having to carry a camera and all the other equipment.

Not a photographer per se but want to take good pics for memories.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old May 8, 17, 5:00 am

Moment lenses are excellent, pricier than the competition, but the quality you'll get from them makes them worth the cost.
Old May 11, 17, 12:02 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
If you check the reviews on Amazon you can probably find some reviewers that have posted example photos as part of their review. You can use them to see what kind of quality of photos you can get with the lens. You might find some stuff on DPReview, too.

I did that when I was looking for lenses for my phone - and wound up buying an interchangeable-lens mirrorless camera.
Old May 11, 17, 5:27 pm

I'll move this thread over to the Travel Photography thread where this topic might get more exposure.
Old May 11, 17, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
I'll move this thread over to the Travel Photography thread where this topic might get more exposure.
what you did there......
Old May 11, 17, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by dascc View Post
what you did there......
nice catch!
Old May 12, 17, 8:03 am
Original Poster

So, after looking on amazon and some other places, I ended up buying the tile lens from Moment.

Should get it in a few days and will post my thoughts on it.
Old May 12, 17, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
So, after looking on amazon and some other places, I ended up buying the tile lens from Moment.

Should get it in a few days and will post my thoughts on it.
Thanks, curious to see how it performs. I've always been skeptical about the idea of putting another lens on top the iPhones lens.
Old May 12, 17, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
Thanks, curious to see how it performs. I've always been skeptical about the idea of putting another lens on top the iPhones lens.
Me too. I don't know how much improvement would an on top tele lens have over just the digital zoom of the phone camera. I don't think I could tell the difference between a 2x/3x optical zoom or digital zoom on the phone camera...
Old May 12, 17, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Need View Post
Me too. I don't know how much improvement would an on top tele lens have over just the digital zoom of the phone camera. I don't think I could tell the difference between a 2x/3x optical zoom or digital zoom on the phone camera...
You're losing pixels with the digital zoom so the optical will give you cleaner photos.
Old May 26, 17, 3:34 am
Suspended

digital zoom will lessen the pixels to your photos. You might consider smartphone gimal stabilizer to improve shooting quality.
Old May 26, 17, 3:16 pm

I have one of those attachment lenses for my iPhone. While I think it's clunky, but it does a decent job getting you either zoomed in or getting a wider angle.
Old May 27, 17, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Got the lens in.

Good build quality. Bought it with a stick on attachment that you glue on to your iPhone and then screw the lens. I screwed the lens in and fits tight. Haven't stuck the attachment on yet as I don't know if it will mess up the fit with the case I have the phone.

So far, I have just placed the lens over the camera and it takes good pics with an even deeper digital zoom.

Looking forward to trying it out on safari.
Old May 28, 17, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
Got the lens in.

Good build quality. Bought it with a stick on attachment that you glue on to your iPhone and then screw the lens. I screwed the lens in and fits tight. Haven't stuck the attachment on yet as I don't know if it will mess up the fit with the case I have the phone.

So far, I have just placed the lens over the camera and it takes good pics with an even deeper digital zoom.

Looking forward to trying it out on safari.
Would you be able to post some pictures to compare the lens 2x zoom to the phone's 2x digital zoom?

Search this Thread