Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Convince me I shouldn't buy a small drone

Convince me I shouldn't buy a small drone

Old Mar 23, 17, 6:21 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Posts: 2,016
Convince me I shouldn't buy a small drone

So I am looking at this https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...ne/x/5633299#/ campaign and need someone to convince me it's a bad idea. I am salivating here about what video I could make if I could fly this around, say, Il Duomo di Firenze.
chx1975 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 17, 12:00 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 25,029
Here's my shot - all major cities and sites that you may want to record in Italy are no fly zones, and you might get arrested.

Man Arrested for Flying Drone Over Colosseum, Could Face $100K+ Fine.

If you really want to obtain an Italian RPAS Pilot Certificate/License, obtain insurance, install the required identification, etc., etc., the English translation of the regulations are here.

I suspect most major cities, attractions, parks, etc., etc. are similarly protected. No one that has responsibility for these wants numerous, random aircraft, not under their control, to be flying around, crashing into, damaging, etc., whatever they are responsible for. You're probably free/safe to fly around in the countryside, away from anyone else, etc., etc.

Just popping up at the Duomo, Empire State Building, Burj Khalifa, Great Wall, etc., and flying around taking video - ain't gonna happen without extensive permitting, payments, logistical planning, etc., etc. - IMHO.

Pilot Crashes Drone into Seattle Space Needle, May Face Jail and Fine
etc.
"Flying drone fine" returns 601,000 Google hits.

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 23, 17 at 12:16 pm
CPRich is offline  
Old Mar 23, 17, 9:16 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GRR, USA
Posts: 3,206
Originally Posted by chx1975 View Post
So I am looking at this https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...ne/x/5633299#/ campaign and need someone to convince me it's a bad idea. I am salivating here about what video I could make if I could fly this around, say, Il Duomo di Firenze.
Its not a bad idea at all, just be prepared for liabilities that could arise if you hit something or someone, or trespass private property. If I see one near my property, a 22 caliber (or more) is going to play an anti-aircraft gunnery game with the drone.....
LufthansaFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 23, 17, 9:24 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,690
Cool

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
Its not a bad idea at all, just be prepared for liabilities that could arise if you hit something or someone, or trespass private property. If I see one near my property, a 22 caliber (or more) is going to play an anti-aircraft gunnery game with the drone.....
A 12 gauge works much better.

Good duck practice, too.
Doc Savage is offline  
Old Mar 23, 17, 9:26 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GRR, USA
Posts: 3,206
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
A 12 gauge works much better.

Good duck practice, too.
Exactly!!!
LufthansaFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 23, 17, 9:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: 30+ years of continous AS MVP/MVPG, Hertz Gold Plus 5*, Marriott Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Posts: 610
No help here. I'm really thinking about a Mavic Pro...
sea_jeff is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 7:31 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington, DC (DCA)
Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Posts: 3,463
I think there was a small window after consumer drones were released where you could get away with flying them in cities and tourist sites. Now they have become too popular and restrictions are in place to prevent them from being flown.

I also really want to buy the Mavic Pro, but I'm wondering how much I'd actually use it given the restrictions everywhere.
uva185 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 8:18 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 47
That particular drone is typical crowdfunding hype - it won't work well in that form factor with 4K. The bitrate will be so low and the stabilisation horrible - if existent at all.

You could achieve the same result by drawing an eye on a potato and throwing it really high.
mcwobby is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 9:16 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gggrrrovvveee (ORD)
Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,023
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Here's my shot - all major cities and sites that you may want to record in Italy are no fly zones, and you might get arrested.

Man Arrested for Flying Drone Over Colosseum, Could Face $100K+ Fine.

If you really want to obtain an Italian RPAS Pilot Certificate/License, obtain insurance, install the required identification, etc., etc., the English translation of the regulations are here.

I suspect most major cities, attractions, parks, etc., etc. are similarly protected. No one that has responsibility for these wants numerous, random aircraft, not under their control, to be flying around, crashing into, damaging, etc., whatever they are responsible for. You're probably free/safe to fly around in the countryside, away from anyone else, etc., etc.

Just popping up at the Duomo, Empire State Building, Burj Khalifa, Great Wall, etc., and flying around taking video - ain't gonna happen without extensive permitting, payments, logistical planning, etc., etc. - IMHO.

Pilot Crashes Drone into Seattle Space Needle, May Face Jail and Fine
etc.
"Flying drone fine" returns 601,000 Google hits.
My thoughts exactly. This site gives a high-level overview for italy, i'm sure for other countries, also:
https://uavsystemsinternational.com/...ly-drone-laws/
  • You may not fly your drone over 230 feet
  • You may not fly your drone further than 490 feet horizontally or out of visual line of sight
  • You may not carry dangerous goods on your drone
  • You may not fly your drone over populated areas, gatherings, beaches, national parks, urban areas, infrastructures, railways, highways and industrial plants
  • You must stay at least 8km away from aerodromes
  • You must only fly your drone during daylight
  • Your drone must weigh under 25kg
  • You must keep your drone 50m away from persons/property not under control of the drone operator
  • You must carry third party insurance
gobluetwo is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 12:39 pm
  #10  
Moderator, Trip Reports
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 6km East of EPAYE
Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,344
OK. Don't do it!

Did that help?
Madone59 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 2:14 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CMH
Programs: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott/BW Plat; Hilton Dia; Radisson Gold; Hertz Prez (OK, some are +1's)
Posts: 571
I bought a Micro Drone 3.0 on this site. Lots of people like me had problems. I wouldn't recommend buying a drone without lots of user​ reviews.
rxgeek is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 6:45 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: KSUX
Posts: 772
Dooooo ittttttttt. Just don't buy that thing. There's no way that'll work the way they claim it will. I just ordered my first quad, a Hubsan X4 Pro. Should be here in about a week and I can't wait to go fly it.
LtKernelPanic is offline  
Old Mar 24, 17, 9:08 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Posts: 2,016
First time my wallet thanks Flyertalk. Usually it becomes much lighter reading various product threads here but this time the money stays in there.
chx1975 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 17, 12:40 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,904
http://dronelife.com/2017/01/23/crow...rone-industry/
Need is offline  
Old Mar 30, 17, 6:47 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Drone insurance

Hi. As an insurance guy, my contribution to this is to call your insurance agent to be sure you have liability insurance for a drone. You may not be automatically covered. Your insurer may exclude drones, or may want an additional premium.
fcas80 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread