Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Convince me I shouldn't buy a small drone

Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage

So I am looking at this https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...ne/x/5633299#/ campaign and need someone to convince me it's a bad idea. I am salivating here about what video I could make if I could fly this around, say, Il Duomo di Firenze.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Here's my shot - all major cities and sites that you may want to record in Italy are no fly zones, and you might get arrested.

Man Arrested for Flying Drone Over Colosseum, Could Face $100K+ Fine.

If you really want to obtain an Italian RPAS Pilot Certificate/License, obtain insurance, install the required identification, etc., etc., the English translation of the regulations are here.

I suspect most major cities, attractions, parks, etc., etc. are similarly protected. No one that has responsibility for these wants numerous, random aircraft, not under their control, to be flying around, crashing into, damaging, etc., whatever they are responsible for. You're probably free/safe to fly around in the countryside, away from anyone else, etc., etc.

Just popping up at the Duomo, Empire State Building, Burj Khalifa, Great Wall, etc., and flying around taking video - ain't gonna happen without extensive permitting, payments, logistical planning, etc., etc. - IMHO.

Pilot Crashes Drone into Seattle Space Needle, May Face Jail and Fine
etc.
"Flying drone fine" returns 601,000 Google hits.

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 23, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975
So I am looking at this https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...ne/x/5633299#/ campaign and need someone to convince me it's a bad idea. I am salivating here about what video I could make if I could fly this around, say, Il Duomo di Firenze.
Its not a bad idea at all, just be prepared for liabilities that could arise if you hit something or someone, or trespass private property. If I see one near my property, a 22 caliber (or more) is going to play an anti-aircraft gunnery game with the drone.....
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Its not a bad idea at all, just be prepared for liabilities that could arise if you hit something or someone, or trespass private property. If I see one near my property, a 22 caliber (or more) is going to play an anti-aircraft gunnery game with the drone.....
A 12 gauge works much better.

Good duck practice, too.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
A 12 gauge works much better.

Good duck practice, too.
Exactly!!!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
No help here. I'm really thinking about a Mavic Pro...
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I think there was a small window after consumer drones were released where you could get away with flying them in cities and tourist sites. Now they have become too popular and restrictions are in place to prevent them from being flown.

I also really want to buy the Mavic Pro, but I'm wondering how much I'd actually use it given the restrictions everywhere.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:18 am

That particular drone is typical crowdfunding hype - it won't work well in that form factor with 4K. The bitrate will be so low and the stabilisation horrible - if existent at all.

You could achieve the same result by drawing an eye on a potato and throwing it really high.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPRich
Here's my shot - all major cities and sites that you may want to record in Italy are no fly zones, and you might get arrested.

Man Arrested for Flying Drone Over Colosseum, Could Face $100K+ Fine.

If you really want to obtain an Italian RPAS Pilot Certificate/License, obtain insurance, install the required identification, etc., etc., the English translation of the regulations are here.

I suspect most major cities, attractions, parks, etc., etc. are similarly protected. No one that has responsibility for these wants numerous, random aircraft, not under their control, to be flying around, crashing into, damaging, etc., whatever they are responsible for. You're probably free/safe to fly around in the countryside, away from anyone else, etc., etc.

Just popping up at the Duomo, Empire State Building, Burj Khalifa, Great Wall, etc., and flying around taking video - ain't gonna happen without extensive permitting, payments, logistical planning, etc., etc. - IMHO.

Pilot Crashes Drone into Seattle Space Needle, May Face Jail and Fine
etc.
"Flying drone fine" returns 601,000 Google hits.
My thoughts exactly. This site gives a high-level overview for italy, i'm sure for other countries, also:
https://uavsystemsinternational.com/...ly-drone-laws/
  • You may not fly your drone over 230 feet
  • You may not fly your drone further than 490 feet horizontally or out of visual line of sight
  • You may not carry dangerous goods on your drone
  • You may not fly your drone over populated areas, gatherings, beaches, national parks, urban areas, infrastructures, railways, highways and industrial plants
  • You must stay at least 8km away from aerodromes
  • You must only fly your drone during daylight
  • Your drone must weigh under 25kg
  • You must keep your drone 50m away from persons/property not under control of the drone operator
  • You must carry third party insurance
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
OK. Don't do it!

Did that help?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
I bought a Micro Drone 3.0 on this site. Lots of people like me had problems. I wouldn't recommend buying a drone without lots of user​ reviews.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:45 pm

Dooooo ittttttttt. Just don't buy that thing. There's no way that'll work the way they claim it will. I just ordered my first quad, a Hubsan X4 Pro. Should be here in about a week and I can't wait to go fly it.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
First time my wallet thanks Flyertalk. Usually it becomes much lighter reading various product threads here but this time the money stays in there.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:40 pm

http://dronelife.com/2017/01/23/crow...rone-industry/
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:47 am

Drone insurance

Hi. As an insurance guy, my contribution to this is to call your insurance agent to be sure you have liability insurance for a drone. You may not be automatically covered. Your insurer may exclude drones, or may want an additional premium.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.