Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Camera lenses and new aviation security enhancements

Old Mar 22, 17, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

As some of you may know there have been some changes made earlier this week that require travelers to check in all electronic devices larger than a mobile phone when flying into the US from certain airports. (https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21/...rts-commercial). I've read several articles that said that cameras had to be checked in as well, but it was not clear if one could check in the camera body but keep the lenses in the carry-on. Does anyone know the answer to this question?
Old Mar 22, 17, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684 View Post
As some of you may know there have been some changes made earlier this week that require travelers to check in all electronic devices larger than a mobile phone when flying into the US from certain airports. (https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21/...rts-commercial). I've read several articles that said that cameras had to be checked in as well, but it was not clear if one could check in the camera body but keep the lenses in the carry-on. Does anyone know the answer to this question?
My understanding from everything that I read, and speaking to contacts at LH, the impression is it applies to devices that contain batteries. So unless you have some monster Sigma 200-500 2.8 that I think needs batteries, you should be OK boarding with lenses. They may pull your lenses out for additional screening since the lens elements usually show up black and they can't see if something is hiding in the element. Happens to me all the time especially in FRA. pocket Digicams should be OK, but DSLRs and larger are banned. Sucks if you have a lot invested in good bodies. Not to mention all the thieves in baggage handling are licking their chops at all the new found prey. Make sure your stuff is insured!
Old Mar 22, 17, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
My understanding from everything that I read, and speaking to contacts at LH, the impression is it applies to devices that contain batteries. So unless you have some monster Sigma 200-500 2.8 that I think needs batteries, you should be OK boarding with lenses. They may pull your lenses out for additional screening since the lens elements usually show up black and they can't see if something is hiding in the element. Happens to me all the time especially in FRA. pocket Digicams should be OK, but DSLRs and larger are banned. Sucks if you have a lot invested in good bodies. Not to mention all the thieves in baggage handling are licking their chops at all the new found prey. Make sure your stuff is insured!
That was my initial thought as well, but if battery is the primary concern why not let travelers bring cameras without batteries or laptops with battery removed (if possible) on board. As you said, I'd be borderline ok checking in my old 5DII body, but if I had 1Dx II or even 5D IV I'd be pretty uncomfortable with checking in a $3k+ camera.
Old Mar 22, 17, 10:16 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I think the size of the device is also a concern. You can't pack much explosive into an iPhone but you could put a fair amount into a FF DSLR. The question about lenses is interesting. No battery but one could certainly remove the inner works from a large lens and pack a lot of bad stuff into the shell.

All of this is interesting and certainly a problem for those who fly the affected airlines. Nothing has been said (at least that I have seen) about liability when high-value items like laptops or cameras are pilfered or broken while in checked luggage. All the airlines state clearly that they are not responsible for loss or damage to such items and that they should be kept in the cabin. Now, pax will be forced to check them without any protection for loss. I foresee a huge additional theft problem for those airlines considering their luggage holds will now be such a target-rich environment.

Since I simply will not check or gate-check my camera bag, I will just have to avoid the affected airlines, routes and airports. I imagine life will become problematic for traveling business-people or travel photographers based in the affected areas.
Old Mar 23, 17, 7:52 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Easy, just bring my chemical sensor camera!
Old Mar 23, 17, 8:07 am

so for my trip from iad (or ewr) to bcn in early may I should be ok with my canon 7d, 17-50 tamron f2.8, sigma 70-200 f2.8 and sony nex-5 (with kit lens and 50-200-ish) and laptop in my hand carry? the total value of the camera gear/computer I plan to bring is considerably worth more than the ticket itself?

as long as I have the batteries separate from the camera body I should be ok with that as my hand carry, right?

tia!
Old Mar 23, 17, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan View Post
so for my trip from iad (or ewr) to bcn in early may I should be ok with my canon 7d, 17-50 tamron f2.8, sigma 70-200 f2.8 and sony nex-5 (with kit lens and 50-200-ish) and laptop in my hand carry? the total value of the camera gear/computer I plan to bring is considerably worth more than the ticket itself?

as long as I have the batteries separate from the camera body I should be ok with that as my hand carry, right?

tia!
Flights from the USA are not affected. Flights from Europe are not affected. You should keep the battery installed in the camera and any spare batteries MUST be in your carry-on/cabin bag with the contacts protected from short circuiting.
Old Mar 23, 17, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Flights from Europe are not affected.
Depends where you consider "Europe" to be. I am flying from Istanbul tomorrow, which is in Europe, and is most definitely affected.

However in general you are right - most European airports are not affected, as long as you are not connecting via one of the airports that is affected. (eg, BCN-IST-USA would be affected)
Old Mar 23, 17, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
With this new security measure what happened to the warning about checking lithium batteries in your luggage? This is an accident waiting to happen!
Old Mar 23, 17, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp View Post
With this new security measure what happened to the warning about checking lithium batteries in your luggage? This is an accident waiting to happen!
apparently thats not important anymore!
Old Mar 26, 17, 7:31 am

Programs: TK*G, AB G ;), HH D
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Depends where you consider "Europe" to be. I am flying from Istanbul tomorrow, which is in Europe, and is most definitely affected.

However in general you are right - most European airports are not affected, as long as you are not connecting via one of the airports that is affected. (eg, BCN-IST-USA would be affected)
Depends on which airport in Istanbul you are going to. IST is in Europe, SAW is in asia.
Old Mar 26, 17, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus View Post
Depends on which airport in Istanbul you are going to. IST is in Europe, SAW is in asia.
There are no flights to the US from SAW, so for the purposes of this thread it's in Europe.

(There are flights from SAW to the UK, but the UK rules don't include cameras)
Old Mar 26, 17, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
apparently thats not important anymore!
Yeah, it's not a US airliner that would go down.
Old May 18, 17, 3:34 am

Programs: Professional Studies
Security security security pffff
Old May 23, 17, 1:21 pm

What happens if the restrictions (or new ones) are put in place again?

I have a trip from Europe to the USA that I'm about to book that is mainly to do some non-commercial photography. I'll be carrying a D810, spare batteries, and a tablet at least in terms of powered equipment.

If the policy changes again, rendering my trip infeasible, would travel insurance cover this? Did the airlines allow cancellation on non-refundable tickets for then affected airports/airlines?

Any commentary would be appreciated.

Search this Thread