FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/)
-   -   DSLR inflight use (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography/1827553-dslr-inflight-use.html)

Explorer789 Mar 6, 2017 1:31 pm

DSLR inflight use

So I'm considering to get my first DSLR (Nikon D7200 and 18-200mm Nikkor lens) soon to use for my upcoming trip this summer. Of course, common sense dictates no flash and avoid taking pics of other people, but one thing I was wondering about is the shutter noise. What's the etiquette to using a DSLR during the flight to take pics of food and window shots? Do you switch to your cellphone for meal service? Or does no one care and do whatever you want?

Just trying to get an idea of what many of you do.

Madone59 Mar 6, 2017 1:43 pm

I use my DSLR the whole trip; especially if I am doing a trip report.

Typically no one will hear the click of a DSLR over the roar of the engines anyway. Have great trip ^

s0ssos Mar 6, 2017 1:46 pm

a tip

The 18-200 lens is not a good one if you are flying. You need a fast lens. VR does not help

LufthansaFlyer Mar 6, 2017 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789 (Post 27999951)
So I'm considering to get my first DSLR (Nikon D7200 and 18-200mm Nikkor lens) soon to use for my upcoming trip this summer. Of course, common sense dictates no flash and avoid taking pics of other people, but one thing I was wondering about is the shutter noise. What's the etiquette to using a DSLR during the flight to take pics of food and window shots? Do you switch to your cellphone for meal service? Or does no one care and do whatever you want?

Just trying to get an idea of what many of you do.

never an issue if you follow your own rules about flash and other people. Your camera has a quiet shutter setting....turn the dial on the left of the camera to 'Q' and your shutter will be a bit muted, but I wouldn't even bother to be honest with you.

abmj-jr Mar 6, 2017 3:13 pm

When I wish to photograph during a flight, I usually keep my fastest "normal" lens on the camera and save the more versatile zooms for other times. Shooting at f/1.4 means I can keep the flash turned off. A good rule of thumb is to avoid disturbing other pax.

Explorer789 Mar 6, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Definitely still have a lot to learn about photography.

The 18-200mm is being considered for two reasons. First, I was planning to buy a single starting lens and second, it seemed to be more versatile for indoor/outdoor shots at the trip destination, where a large chunk of the photos will be taken. Now, I wouldn't mind getting a second lens if that's going to improve the quality of my pics. Is there another Nikkor lens suggested for in-flight/low-light use for under $500?

LufthansaFlyer Mar 6, 2017 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789 (Post 28000773)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Definitely still have a lot to learn about photography.

The 18-200mm is being considered for two reasons. First, I was planning to buy a single starting lens and second, it seemed to be more versatile for indoor/outdoor shots at the trip destination, where a large chunk of the photos will be taken. Now, I wouldn't mind getting a second lens if that's going to improve the quality of my pics. Is there another Nikkor lens suggested for in-flight/low-light use for under $500?

you can always rent one for a few bucks instead of spending a ton for an 'inflight' lens.

The nikon 50mm 1.8 is a steal, the 1.4 is awesome as far as cost/quality is concerned. But that might not help take a photo when your looking at your tray. There's also a 35mm 1.8 for under $200.

abmj-jr Mar 6, 2017 5:58 pm

For a crop sensor body, I think I'd go wider than 50mm. Anywhere from 18-35. That 35mm looks good or something even wider if you can find one in your price range at f/1.4 or f/1.8. F/1.2 is better but won't be cheap.

Vaucluse Mar 6, 2017 7:00 pm

Is there another Nikkor lens suggested for in-flight/low-light use for under $500?

Tamron 17-50 2.8

Vaucluse Mar 6, 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer (Post 28000819)
you can always rent one for a few bucks instead of spending a ton for an 'inflight' lens.

The nikon 50mm 1.8 is a steal, the 1.4 is awesome as far as cost/quality is concerned. But that might not help take a photo when your looking at your tray. There's also a 35mm 1.8 for under $200.

For crop body, 35mm 1.8 is great fit.

WilcoRoger Mar 7, 2017 6:46 am

If you're worried about the shutter noise, the D7200 has a silent mode (I have the D7000 and it has, so I'm sure the D7200 has it too)

dascc Mar 7, 2017 9:59 am

You can get a fast prime that would fit your budget. I'd personally go with the 24 2.8D. Its a screwdrive lens but that will work on the D7200. They go for $390 new on Amazon, but I picked up a minty fresh copy used for around $250. The 35mm 1.8 DX is a great value for the money but on a DX body it might not be wide enough to take pics of food etc. or other up-close items.

mspreh Mar 7, 2017 5:29 pm

For the D7200, you should consider a USED Nikon 17-55 f2.8, it's for DX cameras, and is very nice. You can find them in very good condition for around the $500 range. Brand new that lens is around $1500, but you should have no need to buy that lens brand new.

If you get the Nikon 17-55, my recommendation would be to forget the 18-200. You could get the new (just released) Tamron 70-200 for less than $1200 and the pair would give you amazing lenses, versatility, and 2/3 of the trinity considered by most pro's using DX format Nikon gear....... On the 7200 the 70-200 would really act like a 105 to 300mm lens..... Give you almost all of the range that you would have had, but much better optics, sharper images, color saturation, micro-contrast, etc, etc........ Might be more than you are wanting to spend, but if you get into photography as a hobby, you will wish that you had both of those lenses.

Those would be my first 2 lenses if I were buying the D7200..... (I used to have a D7100, almost the same camera, one generation older). I have the D500 now which is the same sensor size, and love both of those lenses..... Extremely Sharp, and great shots......

You will love the D7200, it's a great camera......

225 Mar 7, 2017 6:55 pm

Try to get a 1.4 lens if you can. Even with a 1.4 lens, it is going to be hard getting decent pictures out the window at night or at dawn/dusk.

The engine noise pretty much drowns out the shutter sound as some of the other posters have said.

bthotugigem05 Mar 8, 2017 1:18 am

Just act normal and you should be fine. And get the fastest glass you can get, you'll be shocked at how dim most airline cabins truly are.