Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High Quality Photo Printers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Mod note - Moved this into its own thread, since the original bumped an 8 year old thread.

Original thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789629

Last edited by gfunkdave; Dec 20, 2016 at 11:21 am
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I'm making some changes in my home office ...Anyone happy with color printers for making 8 x 10 prints (or 8 1/2 x 11, if you wish)?

Your comments about this and other high-end photo printers are welcome.
*bump*

I'm in a similar position today but I imagine technology has moved on in the last decade.

I'm looking at:
  • Epson Expression Photo XP-760 for proofs + local printing service for finals
  • Canon Pixma Pro-1 Printer
  • Canon Pixma Pro-100S
  • Canon Pixma Pro-10S

By finals, I mean something approaching a fine art print @ A3-ish size with a fair bit being black and white.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this but I can see trips to the local printing service adding up in time/hassle* and spending on the Pixma's could be worth it just in time/hassle savings....but probably not.

Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on the above printers?

* There is also a certain creative element that is heightened by the constraint of having to wait for the results.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
There's a $250 rebate from Canon right now on the Pixma printers which makes the PRO-100 an astounding value. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...to_Inkjet.html $130. The Epson has a similar price in the UK but not in the US. There are threads on dpreview like https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53514887 this comparing the Pixma Pro 10 to the 100 but with the $250 rebate the price / value of the 100 is just out of this world.

Last edited by chx1975; Dec 20, 2016 at 6:46 am
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
There's a $250 rebate from Canon right now on the Pixma printers which makes the PRO-100 an astounding value. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...to_Inkjet.html $130.
Thanks! But this looks like a USA only offer and I'm UK based.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Well, dear forum members, anyone wanting to help The_Diamond_Z ?

The Epson is cheap in the UK, tho.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by chx1975
There's a $250 rebate from Canon right now on the Pixma printers which makes the PRO-100 an astounding value. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...to_Inkjet.html $130. The Epson has a similar price in the UK but not in the US. There are threads on dpreview like https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53514887 this comparing the Pixma Pro 10 to the 100 but with the $250 rebate the price / value of the 100 is just out of this world.
Thanks very much for this information. I just ordered a PRO-100 from BH.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Avis PP. Dropped UA*G.
I compared the Canon and Epson A3 printers and preferred the output quality of the Epson. I spent several hours looking closely at output from both printers, and both were sublime.

Then when I went to order my finger slipped and I upgraded my choice to the SC-P800, though I generally still only print to A3 on it. I really love the monochrome and colour output of this printer a lot.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:11 am

Best Overall: Canon Pixma Pro-100
Canon Pixma Pro-100

When it comes to photo printers, the last thing you want to sacrifice is quality for budget. Canon’s Pixma Pro-100 might have some first-time buyers questioning the expenditure, but you get what you pay for with this printer. All photo printer brands like to claim fast printer speeds and great color prints, but Canon backs it up with room to spare. One notable difference between photo printers at lower price points is the use of dye inks over pigment inkjet, which won’t stand up as well to the test of time. Before you raise another eyebrow, rest assured that under proper storage conditions, Canon claims photos from the Pro-100 will last up to 100 years.

Just three buttons decorate the front of the well-designed silver and gray casing: power, cancel/resume, and WiFi. The Pro-100 offers an 8-color ink system that can handle prints up to 13”x19” inches and the main paper tray can handle up to 120 sheets of plain paper or 20 sheets of thicker stock photo paper. A single-sheet heavy stock input sits at the bottom of the rear of the printer. Weighing just over 43 pounds, the Pro-100 will need a dedicated space but if you’re looking to get serious about photo printing, that seems like a fair trade-off. Setup takes around 15 minutes or so if you’re installing all the utilities and drivers.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by shutter
I compared the Canon and Epson A3 printers and preferred the output quality of the Epson. I spent several hours looking closely at output from both printers, and both were sublime.

Then when I went to order my finger slipped
A warning to anyone else looking at printers in this category. Finger slippage is a very real risk.

I went for the Canon Pixma PRO 1...and now I'm considering building an addition to the house the thing.

It's rather large, but the prints are really quite nice.

Thanks for all the input/feedback.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
[US Only]
If anyone is considering a Canon Pixma pro printer, check Craigslist.

As noted upthread, Canon USA has a rebate on the printer. They often bundle the Pro-100 and/or Pro-10 in a rebate with a body and/or a lens.

To increase their rebate, people purchase a bundle, then put the printer up on Craigslist. Some aren't a bargain, but often there is a Pro-100 in a sealed box for $150. Amazon current price is $380 and Canon Direct is $500 (Before possibly generous rebates.)

Caveats: the printer is 'used' even if the box is sealed, and it may be a month or a year old. The Barcode on the box will likely be cut out for the rebate.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: *G
canons are almost always discounted in 1 way or another. i think they still have the business model of making money through ink.

epsons i never see this. they sell less of em... though quite popular in the photo prosumer community. i enjoy my p600 but also would have liked to have gone with p800 for the extra width
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think its better to use a professional lab to print your images instead of doing it on your own. You can get much larger selection of print sizes & papers from professional lab (ie. metallic paper). You also dont have to worry about performing maintenance on your printer.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: *G
much more fun and control printing at home, experimenting, etc
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Ive bought two of the pro-100 canons before, usually they end up being 100$ or 0$ after a rebate.. sometimes in conjunction with buyer a camera, etc. They do VERY nice prints and the quality is certainly mountable and professional print quality. For larger sizes, (over 20x40) I send prints out to my place, but even large mountable I print here..

INK can be spendy, easily 100$ for the whole rack of color cartridges, but one can find even the canon cartridges on sale for 75-80$ and I buy them opportunistically when on sale. It will print a LOT of pictures before running out of even one of the cartridges (obvi B&W would use less of the colors)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I have an oldie but goodie 7 ink Canon MP970 all-in-one photo printer which can print, scan and copy. It has 6 photo cartridges plus a pigment black for documents. The resolution for photo printing is 9600 x 2400 dpi and I have always loved the results. The photo size it can produce goes up to 8.5 x 11 inches which is more than I ever need as most of my photos are either 4x6 or 5x7.

The MP970 is 10 years old and although I have kept it going with deep cleaning, etc it is on its last legs. The dimensions of the printer are 18.5 x 15.5 inches and fits perfectly on my desk and I really don't want an printer much larger as it won't fit properly.

Here is the catch, I want to replace it with an all-in-one photo printer with approximately the same size and it has to have excellent photo printing capabilities and I have yet to find one capable of such high resolution and having as many individual photo color cartridges. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.