Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Combination daypack & photo bag???

Combination daypack & photo bag???

Old Jun 22, 16, 8:37 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31,439
Combination daypack & photo bag???

Once again I find myself wishing for something I have never seen:

A decent daypack that can carry a camera bag hanging in front--the thing is the bag would be supported from the pack rather than the usual strap around the neck and thus be less tiring.

I just spent three hours with my daypack and camera bag, the daypack was heavier but it's the camera bag that got to my neck. Note that I'm not interested in simply storing the camera in the pack, I don't think I went 10 minutes without at least one lens switch. (I have two: a superzoom and a good macro lens.) The rest of the photo gear perfectly well could be in the pack.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 1:03 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In order of nights spent: MSP, ORD, OGG, FCO, LHR
Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
Once again I find myself wishing for something I have never seen:

A decent daypack that can carry a camera bag hanging in front--the thing is the bag would be supported from the pack rather than the usual strap around the neck and thus be less tiring.

I just spent three hours with my daypack and camera bag, the daypack was heavier but it's the camera bag that got to my neck. Note that I'm not interested in simply storing the camera in the pack, I don't think I went 10 minutes without at least one lens switch. (I have two: a superzoom and a good macro lens.) The rest of the photo gear perfectly well could be in the pack.
2 lenses switching back and forth every 10 minutes. Wow......that part would drive me nuts. Personally I would probably try to invest in a lens that would meet my needs better. When I am out I usually am able to capture everything with one lens on the way, and make note of shots I want on the way back with another lens, and take those then. Depending on what I am doing I can get 95% of the shots I want with one lens for the day.

The best solution for you might be one of the Lowepro bags, that have quick access, as your daypack and camera bag. Then combine that with a really good shoulder strap (Joby Pro, or Black Rapid), or the holster method like Spider Holster.

For me, I'd rather invest the money in some new glass that fits my shooting needs better, than in new straps, bags, and all of the other things needed. Even if you are good at changing lenses it's costing you time, at least 2 minutes a change.

Change every 10 minutes, means 5 changes per hour, and 10 to 15 minutes in time changing the lenses (taking off lens caps, putting on lens hoods, filters, putting them away, etc.....). Plus all of the extra chances of exposure to getting things on your mirror (unless you shoot mirrorless i.e. sony alpha) and sensor.
mspreh is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 10:29 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31,439
Originally Posted by mspreh View Post
2 lenses switching back and forth every 10 minutes. Wow......that part would drive me nuts. Personally I would probably try to invest in a lens that would meet my needs better. When I am out I usually am able to capture everything with one lens on the way, and make note of shots I want on the way back with another lens, and take those then. Depending on what I am doing I can get 95% of the shots I want with one lens for the day.
One was a 18-200 superzoom, the other a 100mm macro lens. I'm not aware of any lens that does both.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 12:56 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In order of nights spent: MSP, ORD, OGG, FCO, LHR
Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
One was a 18-200 superzoom, the other a 100mm macro lens. I'm not aware of any lens that does both.
I bet you get some great close ups with that macro lens..... I get it, you see a flower, or something unique and want that real up close and personal shot.

Again, I would recommend looking at the lowepro bags, lots of good ones that can be used for daypack and camera gear with quick access. Then add a great strap or holster to save your neck and back.

If you get one of their bags with the mole system on it, you could mole another another small bag to it (that would be your spare lens holder). The paratactic line has this capability.
mspreh is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 4:55 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 429
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
One was a 18-200 superzoom, the other a 100mm macro lens. I'm not aware of any lens that does both.
I believe the Tamron 70-200 has a Macro setting, not sure if thats more than you want to lug around.
dascc is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 8:36 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31,439
Originally Posted by mspreh View Post
I bet you get some great close ups with that macro lens..... I get it, you see a flower, or something unique and want that real up close and personal shot.

Again, I would recommend looking at the lowepro bags, lots of good ones that can be used for daypack and camera gear with quick access. Then add a great strap or holster to save your neck and back.

If you get one of their bags with the mole system on it, you could mole another another small bag to it (that would be your spare lens holder). The paratactic line has this capability.
Google thinks you mean ProTactic, am I right? That looks like it might do the job.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Jun 24, 16, 8:32 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In order of nights spent: MSP, ORD, OGG, FCO, LHR
Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
Google thinks you mean ProTactic, am I right? That looks like it might do the job.
Yes, sorry auto spell check on my computer changed the words.
mspreh is offline  
Old Jun 24, 16, 1:29 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,596
Originally Posted by dascc View Post
I believe the Tamron 70-200 has a Macro setting, not sure if thats more than you want to lug around.
A lens with a macro setting doesn't make it a macro lens.
tentseller is offline  
Old Jun 24, 16, 4:06 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: 30+ years of continous AS MVP/MVPG, Hertz Gold Plus 5*, Marriott Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Posts: 609
I'd carry two bodies with that kind of lens switching requirement in play.

Being a Fuji shooter - it's not hard to do.

Might be a little rough with a full sized DSLR.

I thought about one of these lens flipper straps but figured for a bit more $ I would just get a 2nd body.

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/18/gowi...-lenses-flash/
sea_jeff is offline  
Old Jun 24, 16, 4:16 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,596
Originally Posted by sea_jeff View Post
I'd carry two bodies with that kind of lens switching requirement in play.

Being a Fuji shooter - it's not hard to do.

Might be a little rough with a full sized DSLR.

I thought about one of these lens flipper straps but figured for a bit more $ I would just get a 2nd body.

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/18/gowi...-lenses-flash/
The rear cap of my lenses are double ended. The lens that came off goes in the cap then the lens to be mounted is taken off and mounted on. One can DIY by glueing two together back to back.
tentseller is offline  
Old Jun 24, 16, 4:27 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: 30+ years of continous AS MVP/MVPG, Hertz Gold Plus 5*, Marriott Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Posts: 609
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
The rear cap of my lenses are double ended. The lens that came off goes in the cap then the lens to be mounted is taken off and mounted on. One can DIY by glueing two together back to back.
That's a clever fix
sea_jeff is offline  
Old Jun 24, 16, 8:57 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31,439
Originally Posted by sea_jeff View Post
I'd carry two bodies with that kind of lens switching requirement in play.

Being a Fuji shooter - it's not hard to do.

Might be a little rough with a full sized DSLR.

I thought about one of these lens flipper straps but figured for a bit more $ I would just get a 2nd body.

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/18/gowi...-lenses-flash/
I do find myself tempted to get a second body, although most of the time it isn't that bad, that was about the worst it's been. That wouldn't address the carrying issue, though.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Jul 1, 16, 2:53 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 217
Ever try a photo vest? Dorky but very functional. spreads the weight, and gives you quick access for lens changes and such. Heck, I even put a 7" tablet in one when I toured Tokyo, with all my pdf etc of tour information. Much more readable than a phone, and just as light.

I've tried backpacks, but found that it took too much time to drop the pack, open it, switch, remount the pack...maybe i'm just slow?
klevin99 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 16, 9:59 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31,439
Originally Posted by klevin99 View Post
Ever try a photo vest? Dorky but very functional. spreads the weight, and gives you quick access for lens changes and such. Heck, I even put a 7" tablet in one when I toured Tokyo, with all my pdf etc of tour information. Much more readable than a phone, and just as light.

I've tried backpacks, but found that it took too much time to drop the pack, open it, switch, remount the pack...maybe i'm just slow?
Weather permitting I wear a Scottevest which is nice for some things but a lens change out of it wouldn't be the easiest thing. (Both of my lenses are big things in the 1# range.) I agree with you about the awkwardness of taking off a pack, that's why I want something in front to hold the lens.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Jul 2, 16, 10:31 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,596
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
Weather permitting I wear a Scottevest which is nice for some things but a lens change out of it wouldn't be the easiest thing. (Both of my lenses are big things in the 1# range.) I agree with you about the awkwardness of taking off a pack, that's why I want something in front to hold the lens.
Scottvest is crap for photogs.

Have you tried the Lowepro vest harness system for frontal access to equipment?
It look very industrial but works great.

A more visual solution is the Tilley vest.
tentseller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread