FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/)
-   -   What type of strap do you use for your camera? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography/1773501-what-type-strap-do-you-use-your-camera.html)

RSSrsvp Jun 21, 2016 6:19 am

What type of strap do you use for your camera?

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday after trying on several different brands I purchased a Sun Sniper Rotaball-Pro shoulder sling strap. I am curious how many people use shoulder straps as opposed to a traditional neck strap like the type that usually comes with a camera, a wrist strap or a hand grip strap? Please indicate your preference on this poll and if you can include a picture of the strap please do so.

phranktzi Jun 21, 2016 7:02 am

Joby UltraFit Sling Strap. Only thing I don't like about it is I have to check to make sure the tripod socket is tighten as it feels loose after much swinging.

RSSrsvp Jun 21, 2016 11:46 am

Originally Posted by phranktzi (Post 26809317)
Joby UltraFit Sling Strap. Only thing I don't like about it is I have to check to make sure the tripod socket is tighten as it feels loose after much swinging.

Don't they offer some sort of belt clip accessory for the Joby to stop the swinging?

phranktzi Jun 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp (Post 26810783)
Don't they offer some sort of belt clip accessory for the Joby to stop the swinging?

The strap itself is fine, its the connector to the socket that might get loosen by 1/8 of a turn.

I should describe it more of the camera twisting around that causes it to loosen.

abmj-jr Jun 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Even when using the strap normally included with a new camera, I highly recommend getting it off the neck and over one shoulder. Dangling the weight of a camera from the neck causes significant fatigue and eventual neck pain, not to mention difficulty in controlling that swinging weight. I replace the cheap included fabric strap with a slip-less neoprene strap. Upstrap makes good ones but there are other brands.

RSSrsvp Jun 21, 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by phranktzi (Post 26811048)
The strap itself is fine, its the connector to the socket that might get loosen by 1/8 of a turn.

I should describe it more of the camera twisting around that causes it to loosen.

The Sun Sniper Rotaball-Pro strap I purchased has an attachment on the connector to prevent it from turning.

Troopers Jun 21, 2016 2:46 pm

Don't use one.

mspreh Jun 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by phranktzi (Post 26811048)

Try the Joby Pro Sling Strap instead, it comes with an extra safety tether cable, and upgraded materials. I know a lot of the photographers that shoot extreme sports (mountain type stuff, climbing, skiing/boarding, paragliding, etc), and sporting events.

Many of them have switched from Black Rapid, to the Joby Pro Sling, in combination with the Joby Arca Swiss plate that allows them to mount to a mono pod or tripod with the strap still attached, or they can quick unscrew the strap and hook it up without having to put the QR plate on.

At the last olympics Jeff Cable was the only photographer still using Black Rapid. Not that everyone else was using the Joby Pro, but it was the new dominate strap for photographers from the US. In London four years ago everyone was using Black Rapid straps.

For me personally, I like both the Black Rapid straps and the Joby. Either one though I would want a new QR plate for my tripod. If using the Black Rapid, the Fusion Photo plate (expensive around $65) has an eyelet that pops down to attach your strap, or fold up to mount your camera to your tripod.

The Joby plate is just longer and has an additional mounting screw on the bottom towards one side so you can put the camera in the tripod mount with the strap still on.

So I would go with one of those two options.

WilcoRoger Jun 22, 2016 2:13 am

I use one and is very satisfied with the concept. My only issue is that it is attached where the tripod would go, so it is always a bit of hassle if using the tripod as well. For walk-around photography it's much better for me than the neck-strap.

deniah Jun 22, 2016 3:43 am

wrist strap 95% of the time

will put on the neckstrap in the 5% where im moving but also lugging stuff, wearing lots of layers, etc

phranktzi Jun 22, 2016 5:26 am

Thanks mspreh, I'll look into that.

AltaBound Jun 23, 2016 12:05 am

I flip between wrist strap and Joby Pro Sling depending on circumstances.

WillCAD Jun 23, 2016 3:47 pm

I use a harness that I made myself. It supports the camera hands-free on my belly and doesn't allow it to swing around and bump stuff, but it's in the ready position like a neck strap would be, and I can grab it one-handed and swing it up to take a shot almost instantly. The harness also distributes weight equally to both shoulders, so I can wear it all day without much fatigue.

I like the concept of sling straps, but I don't like how the camera hangs with them - at your waist, upside-down, swinging and twisting around so that you have to keep your hand on it almost constantly to prevent impact damage. The big advantage is that since your hand is on the camera constantly, you can swing it up to take a shot quickly.

dascc Jun 23, 2016 4:47 pm

I love my Peak Design strap.

It can be configured as a (1)typical neck strap mounted to the two side strap anchors, (2)mounted solely to the tri-pod mount, my personal fav since the strap doesn't get in the way when bringing the camera to your face, or (3)one to the tripod mount and one to the side anchors.

The tri-pod mount one is very secure, you have to use an included allen wrench to attach it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....fL._SY355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

*Side note* That allen wrench for the strap was the same size for my tri-pod head that came loose during some midnight photography at Joshua Tree. So having that strap saved the photoshoot!

sea_jeff Jun 23, 2016 5:47 pm

Too lazy to post a pic but I have two Barton 1972 straps. The XL can be worn over the shoulder vs. around the neck.

I loved them dearly. :)

No longer recommended.