How to handle DSLR when traveling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle DSLR when traveling

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by diburning
If you have a camera with a metal body, (40D, 50D, 7D, 7Dii, 70D, 80D, or a full frame body) then protection isn't as necessary unless you care about the cosmetic condition which doesn't affect function or image quality.
I wouldn't recommend this.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by TRRed
Also, on the strap around the next, the first SLR I borrowed had a round metal strap to reduce the chance of someone cutting the strap while grabbing your camera, without regard for any damage to your neck.
I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on whether it's a good idea to have a reinforced strap like that. On the plus side, yeah, it definitely makes it harder to cut and steal. However, from what I've heard, there are some parts of the world where the traditional method of swiping cameras like this is to use a moped or similar and to grab it as they zip past you. The metal reinforced strap is far less likely to break, and has the potential to cause more injury in this situation.

Is that a legit argument one way or the other? Eh, no idea. Quite honestly, I'm still using the strap that came with the camera because I'm too cheap to get something else, although I would like to find one that's more comfortable some day, but for me, metal reinforcement isn't high on my list of requirements. Part of it is undoubtedly where I travel, but I've never really felt like I was in a situation where I'd have to worry about someone trying to swipe my camera - well, I suppose maybe I have been, but in most of those cases I was probably more worried about whether I was in an area I should really have been in the first place, and in those cases, the camera would be a small sacrifice compared to getting out alive .
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Troopers
I wouldn't recommend this.
Well, not with a lens attached of course. Pad your lenses. Once you knock an element out of alignment, it's done. If it's fixable, it probably will cost more than the lens does to repair it.

Body only, I wouldn't go to too much trouble to pad it. The body, if metal, is built to withstand quite a bit.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:03 am

Programs: QF
I carried a Canon 700D + 24-70mm 2.8 L II + 70-200mm 2.8 IS L II + 1.4x Extender III in a Red Oxx SkyTrain on a recent trip to South Africa. Not a camera bag but I put regular partitions in it and it worked wonderfully. For carrying I can't recommend the Peak Designs Slide Strap more.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
For carrying I can't recommend the Peak Designs Slide Strap more.
Thanks for the recommendation-I'll check it out
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:16 am

Actually looks pretty awesome - touch expensive but the fact that it's easy to get on and off looks great if you like to switch from walking around to tripod use etc.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by stingray072
Actually looks pretty awesome - touch expensive but the fact that it's easy to get on and off looks great if you like to switch from walking around to tripod use etc.
The adjustable strap length is something that ends up being used more than you would expect. It's great because a giant telephoto isn't going to sit the same as a walkaround lens. Both sides of the strap are different, one is grippy for walking around and the other is slippery for "sliding" to the shooting position. Ultimately, it was VERY comfortable even when carrying a silly amount of gear the ability to slip it on and off the strap is invaluable for use on a tripod. Cost is high but the feature set is well worth it!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by stingray072
What do people use when they just want to carry something smaller around on an outing - not all your lenses etc?
I take two camera bags when travelling.

One is the LowePro Photosport backpack - fits my camera and all my lenses as well other stuff that I need to carry with me on long-haul flights or if doing an extensive day trip etc.

I also then take a smaller camera handbag for when I'm exploring cities etc - Current one is from Epiphanie https://www.photoqueen.eu/out/pictur...lifestyle1.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.