Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle DSLR when traveling

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:26 pm

Some sort of bag is a good idea, the less it looks like a camera bag the better. If you're staying in a hotel, it's a good idea to not leave or enter the premises with the camera out on display.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
Find the smallest, thinnest, tapered, slightly padded case you can find, that opens from the back (so when lens is pointing down the camera back is up, and exposed when open). Then just tuck it into your own preferred travel/day bag of choice. Battery and charger go wherever. Don't need them during the day. You pack it in your day bag at the top, leave the camera bag top open and unlocked or unzipped. It takes just seconds to pull out. It'll take up maybe half your bag, but I'm not sure that's any different than a camera bag.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by cs19
Find the smallest, thinnest, tapered, slightly padded case you can find, that opens from the back (so when lens is pointing down the camera back is up, and exposed when open). Then just tuck it into your own preferred travel/day bag of choice. Battery and charger go wherever. Don't need them during the day. You pack it in your day bag at the top, leave the camera bag top open and unlocked or unzipped. It takes just seconds to pull out. It'll take up maybe half your bag, but I'm not sure that's any different than a camera bag.
Agree with this. I've tried many configurations, and found that worked best wasn't necessarily a camera bag, but whatever bag I wanted plus a slim case for the DSLR itself.

That being said, as I've started to travel with more gear, having a sleeve that can house three lenses and the DSLR in whatever bag I want has been a nice change.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:12 pm

...and the more minimal the kit, the better; there's less to keep track of and worry about. If you're used to shooting with the 70D and that zoom, no need to change that. An extra battery is a good idea, and sadly so is a charger. I still carry a mechanical film body, both to shoot film and as an ultimate backup when all the electronics fail (as they inevitably do).
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:40 pm

This kind of scenario is why I went to Micro Four Thirds. I still own my DSLR and use it but it does not leave home anymore. A Panasonic GM5 or Olympus E-M10 and one or two good lenses is more than enough to capture great pics and be less disruptive during travel.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
When I travel with more than just one lens or real long glass I use this one. Quite well built and the interior padded compartments are re configurable for whatever you want to carry.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DW99H8 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DW99H8

When traveling a bit lighter on the glass I just toss this inside my carry on (takes up most of it):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TZWNF0 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TZWNF0
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I have one just like it, and have had for a few years..

Travels well. Just make sure the laptop zipper is closed on the side and not the top...
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Thanks all for the suggestions. I ended up getting a sleeve and placed it in my carry on bag for the plane, and then I used the sleeve to take it out to various places on the trip as well, along with my Sony RX100. Also had an interesting experience at a hotel where I was told I couldn't use my DSLR at all during my stay because I hadn't arranged for prior approval. I went to the front desk afterwards to get some clarification on this policy and a manager gave me his card and said as long as the pictures were not directly of people I was welcome to use the camera. This was my first time having an issue with photography at hotels, but I think people may have just gotten a bit wary of the large DSLR frame/lens, even though it technically has the same zoom capabilities of my Sony pocket camera.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You can get a camera bag that just goes up to the maximum dimensions for a carryon bag, for instance like the Think Tank Airport bags. Those will have room for your DSLR, a lens or two and your laptop and maybe some other valuables that you don't want to put in a checked bag.

Also to consider is the Think Tank Helipak which is already divided to support a drone, DSLR, lenses and laptop.

Or the other way is to get a camera bag that fits under the "personal item" limitation for carryons, which would be 45 linear inches. So a sling or smaller backpack or a shoulder bag which can hold your DSLR with a second lens and an iPad. With this, you can use it for your day camera bag.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
If a 70D and standard zoom is all you are carrying a basic backpack or pack it in your clothes/carry-on will be just fine. It will make it no problem
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by svo242
I think people may have just gotten a bit wary of the large DSLR frame/lens, even though it technically has the same zoom capabilities of my Sony pocket camera.
General perception: small camera = tourist, large camera = pro. (Wish it was true ) Some places might have an issue with pro photography on the premises and none at all with tourists snapping away.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a Kinesis Photo Gear belt and pouches for stuff. You look like an idiot wearing it but it's quite comfortable. www.kgear.com

I fold it all up and put it in a backpack with my headphones, iPad, etc when traveling.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:17 am

I have only two zoom lenses, and like to keep it light as possible -- I love my compact bag from Artisan and Artist in Japan.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I used to carry my SLR in the Tom Bihn Pilot. It doesn't really have any padding but I've never had a problem. When I need to carry more things (for example while hiking), I just use a backpack. You can also get something like the Crumpler Haven to hold your camera, and just carry it in whatever bag you have handy.

I've started using the The Everyday Messenger recently. It holds a bit more than the Pilot and has a bit of padding as well as a laptop slot which holds my MacBook Air. I can carry the body and 3 lenses in it - it'll also fit some of the larger telephoto lenses (but not the ridiculously large ones).

On the plane, my camera bag always goes under the seat in front so that it doesn't get banged up in the overhead bins. I try to avoid bulkhead. At least in the US, you can hand hold your SLR on takeoff/landing if you don't have a seat in front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.