Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Canon S120 to Canon G7 X?

Old Sep 28, 15, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thinking about upgrading my Canon S120 to a new G7 X. Mostly because of the brighter lens and better DOF.
Considered the Sony RX100 III, but I like the Canon software and larger zoom range better.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 30, 15, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
I personally think moving to the G7X is a great option. Menu and functionality are very similar. Canon colors and IQ are great in my opinion. I moved from the S95 to S100 (unfortunately...loved the s95)...and then to the Sony RX100mii. Never liked the Sony...difficult menu and I never liked the colors (flat) or IQ. Granted, some of the tweaks on the miii and miv have been touted as improvements over earlier models. Finally tried the G7X and have been really very happy with it. I know it doesn't get the high volume of raves as does the Sony, which I don't understand, but for me it was a great move. I think you would be very happy with it.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Thinking about upgrading my Canon S120 to a new G7 X. Mostly because of the brighter lens and better DOF.
Considered the Sony RX100 III, but I like the Canon software and larger zoom range better.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 30, 15, 3:06 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
As a very general rule, it is probably a good idea to stay with a particular brand if you become used to and happy with that company's system and way of doing things. Changing systems completely involves much more than learning the basic functions of the new camera. Unless you are looking at top-end pro models, the differences between similar Canon and Sony cameras are pretty minor. Go with what you are comfortable with.

Search this Thread