Reload this Page >

Nikon D7100 vs D7200

Nikon D7100 vs D7200

Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Nikon D7100 vs D7200

I'm taking a Photography class this semester, and needed to buy a DSLR. I obviously also love to take photos when I travel so I've been toying with a DSLR for awhile now. I'm currently debating between the D7100 and D7200 and besides the lack of wi-fi on the D7100 can't seem to figure out the difference. I'm curious as to what everyone on the board thinks of both cameras?
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
From dpreview.com (Digital Photography Review):

One of our favorite DSLRs in the past few years is the Nikon D7100, which was introduced way back in February 2013. The D7200 isn't a radical upgrade by any means, yet it still adds some important features, most notably a larger buffer, improved autofocus performance in low light, 60p video, Wi-Fi with NFC, and 15% better battery life.
Full review, from this past June, here. Lots of D7100-D7200 comparisons. Gets an 84% rating overall, which is very good from them. Loses points mostly on video mode and connectivity. Their summary:

The D7200 is a gentle refresh of an excellent camera. The sensor sees improvements in dynamic range, AF works in lower light and the continuous shooting buffer lets you make use of its class-leading subject tracking. The slow live view autofocus and awkward lack of aperture control during movie shooting means it's not as flexible as some of its rivals but it's a formidable DSLR for stills work.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I'm taking a Photography class this semester, and needed to buy a DSLR. I obviously also love to take photos when I travel so I've been toying with a DSLR for awhile now. I'm currently debating between the D7100 and D7200 and besides the lack of wi-fi on the D7100 can't seem to figure out the difference. I'm curious as to what everyone on the board thinks of both cameras?
Cheers
Howie
Thom Hogan's commentary:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/...7200-dslr.html
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 225
I pay a lot of attention to what Thom Hogan has to say.
I also want to throw in some commentary of Chase Jarvis with regard to the 7100.

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/201...ec-highlights/

As for me, I have a 7100, and I really like it

OP, are you planning on buying the kit lenses or are you looking for other stuff?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I've owned a 7100 and really liked it a lot. I didn't keep it for long - I upgraded to it from a D7000, and have since upgraded again to a D750 because I wanted to go with a full frame body. But, the 7100 is a great camera. I'm sure the 7200 is even better, but it is just an evolutionary upgrade, and the differences between the two are small. You mentioned the lack of Wi-Fi on the 7100 - it is available, but requires an add-on adapter from Nikon. The cost for that item is about $50 IIRC. Overall, I'd go with the 7200, but if your budget is tight, you really can't go wrong saving some money with the 7100, and then using some of that savings to invest in lenses.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:05 pm

What's your budget? If you're okay with spending $1k on a D7200, I would actually recommend that you take a serious look at going with a full frame DSLR - the D610, in particular. It's close to that price point, and has a reputation for being a very good DSLR for the price. I started out with a D5200 myself, thinking it'd be all I'd need, but wound up upgrading to a D750 earlier this year. The difference between crop sensor and full frame is very evident. You'll save yourself a lot of money in the long run by going straight to full frame if you even think you'll one day do it by simply buying full frame lenses from the start.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NTP9766
What's your budget? If you're okay with spending $1k on a D7200, I would actually recommend that you take a serious look at going with a full frame DSLR - the D610, in particular. It's close to that price point, and has a reputation for being a very good DSLR for the price. I started out with a D5200 myself, thinking it'd be all I'd need, but wound up upgrading to a D750 earlier this year. The difference between crop sensor and full frame is very evident. You'll save yourself a lot of money in the long run by going straight to full frame if you even think you'll one day do it by simply buying full frame lenses from the start.
That is a good price, but is that the one that had the dust problems?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon
That is a good price, but is that the one that had the dust problems?
The D600 had oil issues, which IMO is one big reason they released the D610 so quickly. If you get a used/refurb D610 from a reputable vendor, I'd say go for it. I nearly went that route, but couldn't pass up on the D750.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NTP9766
Absolutely.

My D7000 was my first DSLR I had tons of 35mm film SLR experience from years ago, but hadn't had a DSLR until my partner gave me one for Christmas in 2011. I really loved that camera, but after a few years was wishing I had a full frame body. I had acquired several full frame lenses, so once I did move to the D750, I didn't have to replace everything, but it would have been cheaper overall to go full frame from the start.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Nishan Dass
Nikon D7100 is best
Perhaps it is ... but could you please explain why you think so, and why you think the newer D7200 isn't better?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
The trite answer might be that if you need to ask the question you should go for the D7100 and as suggested above spend on lenses. The websites suggested above provide an excellent overview of pros and cons of the D7200 over the D7100. I'm not sure it is a question of whether one is better than the other but rather whether the extra features and capability of the 7200 justify the extra cost.

I have a D7100 and have not used the D7200 and as such cannot offer a comparison. I moved to the D7100 from a D90 and the main differences I note with the D7100 are markedly better low light performance and autofocus performance. I am happy with the DX format and enjoy the extra 'reach' provided for wildlife photography and do not see limitations in image quality that make me yearn for an FX body (yet).

I shoot mainly wildlife and landscapes and have not reached any situations where the limits have been the camera rather than me. I would respectfully suggest that the D7100 will be more than good enough at this stage and probably for a good while yet. Probably the bigger question is what lenses will you put on it!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dimramon
I pay a lot of attention to what Thom Hogan has to say.
I also want to throw in some commentary of Chase Jarvis with regard to the 7100.

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/201...ec-highlights/

As for me, I have a 7100, and I really like it

OP, are you planning on buying the kit lenses or are you looking for other stuff?
Thanks everyone! Planning to start off with the 18-140 kit lens and a 50mm from my dad's Nikon SLR. I feel like the 7100 or 7200 is a good starting point as the full frames are out of my price point. The 7200 with a the kit lens and extras just barely makes my budget.
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Thanks everyone! Planning to start off with the 18-140 kit lens and a 50mm from my dad's Nikon SLR. I feel like the 7100 or 7200 is a good starting point as the full frames are out of my price point. The 7200 with a the kit lens and extras just barely makes my budget.
Cheers
Howie
Are you sold on that kit lens? I ask because for the same price as that D7200 kit brand new, you can grab a refurb D7200 and a used Nikon 16-85 for the same price, and the 16-85 is a superior lens (arguably the best walkaround lens for DX bodies).
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
The trite answer might be that if you need to ask the question you should go for the D7100 and as suggested above spend on lenses. The websites suggested above provide an excellent overview of pros and cons of the D7200 over the D7100. I'm not sure it is a question of whether one is better than the other but rather whether the extra features and capability of the 7200 justify the extra cost.

I have a D7100 and have not used the D7200 and as such cannot offer a comparison. I moved to the D7100 from a D90 and the main differences I note with the D7100 are markedly better low light performance and autofocus performance. I am happy with the DX format and enjoy the extra 'reach' provided for wildlife photography and do not see limitations in image quality that make me yearn for an FX body (yet).

I shoot mainly wildlife and landscapes and have not reached any situations where the limits have been the camera rather than me. I would respectfully suggest that the D7100 will be more than good enough at this stage and probably for a good while yet. Probably the bigger question is what lenses will you put on it!
After much discussion I ended up ordering a Refurb D7100 for an excellent price.Debating on the lens between the 18-200 or 16-85.
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:15 pm

Enjoy the D7100. I also bought a factory refurb last week and am loving it so far.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.