Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Taking a Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM in hand luggage?

Old Sep 5, 15, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard, M&S Sparks

Hi

I am looking to purchase a Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM (Google if you don't know what it is!).

This lens is huge and would take up most of my hand luggage allowance, so I was wondering if I would have any issues with customs etc going from LHR to AUH and returning back to LHR from DXB?

I'm no journalist etc, just someone travelling for the F1 and a keen photographer

Thanks
Old Sep 5, 15, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paren View Post
Hi

I am looking to purchase a Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM (Google if you don't know what it is!).

This lens is huge and would take up most of my hand luggage allowance, so I was wondering if I would have any issues with customs etc going from LHR to AUH and returning back to LHR from DXB?

I'm no journalist etc, just someone travelling for the F1 and a keen photographer

Thanks
I'm sure that baggage claim and the TSA would treat it very nicely. At least until they had fenced it.

Welcome to why I switched from DSLRs (in my case, Nikons) to Micro 4/3
Old Sep 5, 15, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Your chances of it being lost are probably lower than with most other luggage types. I'd use the appropriate locks, include ID inside the case, record the serial number, possibly engrave ID info on the lens, and maybe even use one of the new tracking devices.

Professional photogs ship these, plus 500, 600, 800's everywhere they travel. If you can afford the lens, I suspect you can afford insurance on it.

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1 View Post
I'm sure that baggage claim and the TSA would treat it very nicely.
TSA won't touch it in LHR, AUH or DBX.

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1 View Post
Welcome to why I switched from DSLRs (in my case, Nikons) to Micro 4/3
How's shooting F1 with a Micro 4/3 system?
Old Sep 5, 15, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post

How's shooting F1 with a Micro 4/3 system?
I haven't done it, but other folks have had some success doing so:

http://www.mu-43.com/threads/79609/
Old Sep 6, 15, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
The question seems to be about carrying on this lens, not checking it. I think you'd be fine as long as you also carry the original receipt for the lens.
Old Sep 6, 15, 8:30 pm

Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
It shouldn't be any different than traveling with any other expensive electronics. I take my m43 kit in my carry on bag all the time without any issues (and my Nikon gear before I switched over). They may want to inspect it a little closer depending on how it shows up on the xray. But they see this sort of stuff every day at checkpoints. I agree that taking the original receipt might be a good idea just for customs purposes in case you get pulled over for customs inspection. But then again I've never had any trouble at customs with all of my camera equipment.
Old Sep 7, 15, 1:46 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
For customs - keep the receipt.

For continued joy of using the glass - keep it in you hand luggage!
Old Sep 7, 15, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard, M&S Sparks
Thanks all!

And yes, as the title says, it'd be in hand luggage. Would not risk putting it in the hold!

Good idea about the invoice too.

Search this Thread