Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Bought "broken" lens in Korea - recourse?

Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:16 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond

I bought a used Nikon 18-200 VR lens at an electronics kiosk in Seoul. I tried it out a few times while in the shop and it seemed to work fine. The next day, however, I noticed the AF was sluggish and wouldn't focus in a lot of different lighting situations. Manual focus seems to work fine.

I went to Nikon in Tokyo and they ran an assessment on the lens, quoted $350 in repairs. :/

I called Chase (cc I used for the transaction) when I retruned home to see if either the purchase protection or return protection would help cover it. They suggested a merchant dispute which I submitted online. Any thoughts on whether that was the right course of action? Part of me thinks this was a lesson learned and I should just move on.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: most of them
typically used stuff is bought and sold "as is" unless some sort of warranty is mentioned. If it worked in the shop there's no way of knowing when it was damaged. So it seems like holding them responsible isn't fair.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:19 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
typically used stuff is bought and sold "as is" unless some sort of warranty is mentioned. If it worked in the shop there's no way of knowing when it was damaged. So it seems like holding them responsible isn't fair.
That seems fair. I might cancel the dispute I have opened and just try to sell the lens to B&H or Andorama; they may still be interested given the defect.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: most of them
You might also try KEH. They buy and sell a lot of used gear. I sold a bunch of my old gear to them last year. It was just collecting dust. In the end of course it was nowhere near what I paid for it all. I could have tried selling it myself but it was easier to just take their offer. It was all in very good/excellent shape. So, a broken lens might not get you much.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
I'd leave the dispute open. If you lose, you lose. But that's why we use cards. To sort this sort of thing out.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:30 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
You might also try KEH. They buy and sell a lot of used gear. I sold a bunch of my old gear to them last year. It was just collecting dust. In the end of course it was nowhere near what I paid for it all. I could have tried selling it myself but it was easier to just take their offer. It was all in very good/excellent shape. So, a broken lens might not get you much.
I went to a local camera shop who buys via KEH. They would pay me reasonably and did an inspection on the lens before making the offer.

Still out some and now need to come up with a new travel lens but lesson learn - buy used but from a reputable place.

Doing a little more research, this issue with the focus seems to be pretty common in this lens with lots of posts online reporting a similar issue.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:32 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
I'd leave the dispute open. If you lose, you lose. But that's why we use cards. To sort this sort of thing out.
The offer I got above is good for two weeks. I just sent in supporting documentation to the CC company for the dispute. I will let it ride for a bit and see how it plays out.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: DL,Marriott,Hilton, Avis, SPG
The 18-200 is an AF-S lens and there's no way it should be sluggish. On the other hand, the fact that it doesn't focus properly in 'some lighting conditions' would point to a body problem. The only thing that I can think of in the lens that would cause focus issues in low light would be if it isn't opening up to the maximum aperture.
I've sold and seen literally hundreds of this model lens and it's been pretty trouble free. I'd suggest cleaning the rear contacts on the lens with some denatured alcohol and then doing the same to the body contacts. You're completely AF by wire on this lens so dirty contacts could create an issue. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:53 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rybolt
The 18-200 is an AF-S lens and there's no way it should be sluggish. On the other hand, the fact that it doesn't focus properly in 'some lighting conditions' would point to a body problem. The only thing that I can think of in the lens that would cause focus issues in low light would be if it isn't opening up to the maximum aperture.
I've sold and seen literally hundreds of this model lens and it's been pretty trouble free. I'd suggest cleaning the rear contacts on the lens with some denatured alcohol and then doing the same to the body contacts. You're completely AF by wire on this lens so dirty contacts could create an issue. Hope this helps.
This is basically the issue I am running into (though mine basically occurs in the 25-80 range):
http://photo.stackexchange.com/quest...-focal-lengths

Sometimes it will just click when attempting to AF at certain focal lengths and in lower contrast settings. Turning the camera on and off again seems to get it to work a bit as does changing the focal length or using manual focus.

I have tried this lens on two bodies with the same issue. Cleaning the contacts is a good idea though - I will give it a try.

Last edited by TTT; Jul 15, 2015 at 11:38 am
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:53 am

Unless you can go back to the merchant (probably too late now), I think you did the right thing by going through your credit card. Hope it works out for you.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA

Did you try out the lens with your camera or one in the store?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:40 am

You probably misheard the sale person saying "broken" rather than "bokeh"
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

At least the shop wasn't trying to sell it as a new lens. That has been known to happen in Namdaemun.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:36 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m.photog
Did you try out the lens with your camera or one in the store?
I tried it with my camera. Have since tried with a second body with the same issue.
Originally Posted by infinii
You probably misheard the sale person saying "broken" rather than "bokeh"

Originally Posted by Aventine
At least the shop wasn't trying to sell it as a new lens. That has been known to happen in Namdaemun.
It was marketed as used so no issues there.

Currently pending with Chase. Will see if the merchant responds, they have 2 statement cycles. Even if they lose they still got the lens I gave as trade, a Sigma 18-250.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.