Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on 2 of my travel photos large canvas prints?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM

I have a groupon for 2 canvas prints (20x30) that is expiring in a couple weeks, and I'm wanting to put some of my own photos on the wall -- in the living room. I'm not a pro, but I've been to a lot of interesting/unique travel spots and I have some photos that I think are pretty good. I want to make sure I choose photos that are unique and that I'd want to stare at every day. I don't really want something that is "blah"/generic/lifeless that won't impress anyone.

I'm thinking of going with these two images:

http://i.imgur.com/tf4Z4l6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IL3D7HL.jpg

Honest feedback is very appreciated -- whether it excites you, comments on my post processing, etc. Definitely feel free to say that I should go with a different image. I have other travel photos I can go with instead.

And if you're feeling bored/generous and like my images but not my PP'ing and want to play around with the photos yourself, here are the original files from my camera:

http://i.imgur.com/3JKyTna.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2Gt4xpW.jpg
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Nice pictures. I can't get the full Exif to come up so I don't know what camera and settings were used but would be a little concerned about how well that 3110x2073 "boat" image will render in 20x30. What camera and resolution was the original and do you have the Raw?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Nice pictures. I can't get the full Exif to come up so I don't know what camera and settings were used but would be a little concerned about how well that 3110x2073 "boat" image will render in 20x30. What camera and resolution was the original and do you have the Raw?
Thanks for the reply! Well, I shot in JPG at the time, not RAW. I know, I know. :-(

I uploaded the original JPG directly to imgur.com, which apparently wipes the exif, but that's the full size original file. But here is the metadata for the boat photo:

http://imgur.com/yiybs8x

Let me know your thoughts..
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:43 am

Well, for that size image to be enlarged to a 20x30 print, the resolution drops to a tad over 100 ppi. That is pretty sparse. On the other hand, the images are nice and wouldn't be viewed very close up and you are not paying full boat for the printing. I'd say go for it.

If you don't like how the big prints look when you get them, I'd recommend paying for smaller enlargements in the 11x14 range. At that smaller size they should look great. But try the larger ones first. You might be surprised and quite happy with the result.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Any thoughts on this one as an alternative boat pic (both Inle Lake, Burma): http://i.imgur.com/IFfGFc3.jpg
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:29 pm

It is subjective but I think the first one is a better image. The sun looks better, the light illuminates the nets and the subject fills the frame more. Proportions seem better to me as well.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Nice pics LAX_Esq, but I prefer the Easter Island one for sure - and I predict it will look better on your wall. The fisherman one is a little too....ambiguous somehow (it's not immediately apparent what is going on). IMHO, of course

Which printing service are you going with?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mikity
Nice pics LAX_Esq, but I prefer the Easter Island one for sure - and I predict it will look better on your wall. The fisherman one is a little too....ambiguous somehow (it's not immediately apparent what is going on). IMHO, of course

Which printing service are you going with?
Exactly my thoughts. The Easter Island one is amazing.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:26 am

I find that canvas prints are pretty forgiving when it comes to image resolution, you should be just fine. I LOVE your Easter Island shot.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Another vote for the Easter Island image.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: DL,Marriott,Hilton, Avis, SPG
Both are very nice shots. Rather than going with canvas have you considered an exhibition quality matt paper? It would be a different look but may be better suited to the colors.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Now I'm thinking about putting your photos on my wall!
Voting for Easter Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.