Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Airlines offloading pax for photography?

Old May 29, 15, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum

Just read this article on a travel blog I subscribe to
http://www.eglobaltravelmedia.com.au...+Peanut+Butter

It suggests there are increasing examples of airlines accosting passengers for taking pictures of planes etc.

This seems totally ridiculous...I mean how to do trip reports now if true!!

Does anyone have any experience of this?
Old May 30, 15, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
... if true!!
Key point there.

Take pictures of your seat, your meal, views out your window and you'll be fine. Take pictures of the crew, other pax, etc. and you may have issues.

Not really all that complicated.
Old Jun 3, 15, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Take pictures of the crew, other pax, etc. and you may have issues.
What exactly is illegal about that? I realize it can be obnoxious, but I'm not sure it's against the law.
Old Jun 3, 15, 7:33 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Mikity View Post
What exactly is illegal about that? I realize it can be obnoxious, but I'm not sure it's against the law.
It may or may not be interpreted as illegal, depending on court and jurisdiction, but it certainly would violate every airline's rules. They can remove you from a flight for that.
Old Jun 5, 15, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mikity View Post
It probably is not against the law, though I am certainly not a lawyer and will not speak to the various jurisdictions which might cover such actions.

But I never said I was illegal. I said you might have issues. By which I mean that the airlines are free to object to such actions and do things like toss you from the plane. And that would be completely legal.
Old Jun 5, 15, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
It probably is not against the law, though I am certainly not a lawyer and will not speak to the various jurisdictions which might cover such actions.

But I never said I was illegal. I said you might have issues. By which I mean that the airlines are free to object to such actions and do things like toss you from the plane. And that would be completely legal.
[emp added]

I have doubts about that in many countries. Certainly of dubious legality in the US and EU.

In the US, for example, most (all?) airlines prohibit photography, but they only say so usually in places like their in flight mags. That's not any sort of contract or agreement - possibly even if referenced in the ticket itself (unless they make the text available). It's like saying "Try the veal!" in the magazine and then insisting it is a legal requirement to "try the veal!"

Search this Thread