FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/)
-   -   X100/X100s/X100t (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography/1615099-x100-x100s-x100t.html)

FlyingDoctorwu Sep 23, 2014 10:57 am

X100/X100s/X100t

Anyone here have any experience with the Fuji X100 series cameras? I've been shooting with a D700 for almost forever and I typically use some sort of prime lens (50/85 1.4) almost all the time (I don't have a wider prime). I'm sick of carrying this setup and am considering a used X100s. Anyone have one of these and can comment? They are still almost $800.... For reference I also travel with a little underwater Sony point and shoot but have used the S95 in the past. Other things to conisder woud be the 1" sensor compacts I guess...

FDW

deniah Sep 23, 2014 12:39 pm

I had the X100 and upgraded to X100s which i didnt think was worth it.
I wouldnt upgrade to X100t mostly because the lens is the same*, but for a big other reason as well**

-*lens is quite soft at 2.0 negating that nice big aperture
-operation is fussy and slow... even newest iteration of X100s with newest firmware
--if you like the idea of the camera, buy a used X100 with updated firmware
-battery is horrendous
-some say the 12MP CMOS sensor of X100 renders more favorably than the 16MP X-Trans sensor of X100s and X100t........ i really cant tell TBH

i love the idea and the operation of the camera. but the fussy battery and glacial autofocus really kills the keeper rate and the joy of using the camera.

**the reason i would advise against it is the m4/3 sensor of the newly announced Panasonic LX100. Olympus M43 is my new main system and I love it. LX100's lens is Leica-co-designed. It's bright. It has a useful focal range. The sensor is large enough for ISO, DR, and etc. And knowing what I know of Panasonic's AF system, it should be really speedy too.

If you are okay with fixed lens, and are not tied to having a view finder, the Ricoh GR 28mm (FOV equiv) with APS-C sensor is a good option too.

bhomburg Sep 23, 2014 11:46 pm

I concur with what deniah said. As a longtime Panasonic LX user (3, 5, 7) I briefly toyed with the X100 when it come out but found the usability lacking mostly due to awkward controls and too-slow focus.
I had the LX100 in my hands at Photokina and would totally recommend getting one of these over the X100/s/t. If you don't want to wait or spend less money for a used one, I'd rather get a (used) Sony RX100/II/III than the X100.

FlyingDoctorwu Sep 24, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks for all the info... looks like I will pass on this camera... Just found out my brother in law has the X100 and he echoes the same sentiments; but he's more than willing to let me borrow it.. the new LX looks great...

FDW

sea_jeff Sep 28, 2014 7:07 pm

Interesting. I have the X100S and absolutely love it.

Yes - the battery life is terrible - especially after getting an EyeFi card.

Luckily batteries are cheap and small. I carry two spares and they last me all day and night.

It's a fantastic travel camera. Also terrific in low light conditions.

Not at all a great sports/action camera.

At F2.0 the center of the image is great. Nice bokeh wide open.

Tack sharp at 4.0 and higher. Very easy to carry around. Looks great. People smile when they see it and are not at all intimidated by it.

I only find the autofocus slow when there isn't much of a contrast in the background and the manual focusing is really very nice - especially with the focus peaking.

If your BIL has upgraded to the latest firmware on the X100 it should give you a decent idea of what the S is like.

UAL_Rulez Oct 5, 2014 3:30 am

If you like the IQ of this series because of the amazing sensor (OLPF-less CMOS APS-C) and inconspicuous form factor, but don't like the limitations of the fixed lens X100_ models, check out the XE-2 or Pro bodies. I just bought a whole XE-2 system including the pancake 27mm/f2.8 lens, 18-55/f2.8-4.0 OIS and 55-200/f3.5-4.8 OIS...around $2K all in...could not be happier. Whole kit in a bag with chargers, spare batts etc. weighs like 2 pounds. Image quality and handling are simply amazing. I think I'll only ever pull out my Nikon DSLR kit ever again for video or super-fast action (which I never shoot anyway).

barte Oct 5, 2014 6:06 am

Had the X100s for a while.
Great camera, easy to take with.
Pictures are razorsharp.
Big difference in AF between x100 and x100s

sea_jeff Oct 5, 2014 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez (Post 23628425)
If you like the IQ of this series because of the amazing sensor (OLPF-less CMOS APS-C) and inconspicuous form factor, but don't like the limitations of the fixed lens X100_ models, check out the XE-2 or Pro bodies. I just bought a whole XE-2 system including the pancake 27mm/f2.8 lens, 18-55/f2.8-4.0 OIS and 55-200/f3.5-4.8 OIS...around $2K all in...could not be happier. Whole kit in a bag with chargers, spare batts etc. weighs like 2 pounds. Image quality and handling are simply amazing. I think I'll only ever pull out my Nikon DSLR kit ever again for video or super-fast action (which I never shoot anyway).

When Fuji comes out with the X Pro 2 - my Nikon body and lenses hit eBay and I will convert over completely.

barte Oct 6, 2014 1:23 pm

Why wait for the X-PRO 2? X-T1 is already brilliant.

sea_jeff Oct 6, 2014 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by barte (Post 23635115)

$$$ and not needing it right away. :D

Still working to master the X100S ^

AussieExPat Dec 31, 2014 9:48 am

I purchased the x100s on clearance a few months ago after the release of the x100t. I have to say, I love it. I have not taken my old Canon 5d on a trip with me since purchasing it, and I've rarely missed it. I paid a little extra for the "US version", which apparently comes with much better battery life, but probably not much else.

If you appreciate it for what it is (in my opinion an excellent "street photography" camera), I think you'll enjoy it. As previously mentioned, if you're looking for sports or action photography this is not likely to be the best option. Nor for those who are looking for point-and-shoot simplicity. I've found it takes a little more thought before the photo to make my shots with the x100s look as good as I want them to. Perhaps that's just the limitations of my photographic abilities shining though... :)

philwupdx Mar 21, 2015 10:31 pm

I, too, am thinking seriously of the X100T. I've taken several multi-day hiking/walking trips over the past few years, the most recent to Peru and another upcoming one in June to the Scottish Highlands, where we will be walking the Great Glen Way, about 85 miles over 7 days. In the past I've lugged around a Nikon D7000 plus a 300mm zoom telephoto. Too bulky, too heavy, and I just don't want to do that again with all the other stuff I have to carry.

Reviews of the X100T seem excellent, but I also acknowledge the comments in this thread.

Not sure what to do!

deniah Mar 22, 2015 4:45 am

Originally Posted by philwupdx (Post 24545238)
I, too, am thinking seriously of the X100T. I've taken several multi-day hiking/walking trips over the past few years, the most recent to Peru and another upcoming one in June to the Scottish Highlands, where we will be walking the Great Glen Way, about 85 miles over 7 days. In the past I've lugged around a Nikon D7000 plus a 300mm zoom telephoto. Too bulky, too heavy, and I just don't want to do that again with all the other stuff I have to carry.

Reviews of the X100T seem excellent, but I also acknowledge the comments in this thread.

Not sure what to do!

A camera with a fixed 35mm eFOV and one with a lens hitting 480mm eFOV are completely different animals. They're not interchangeable in usability and composition.

If you want the lightest for wide landscapes, there is Ricoh GR. For telephoto reach, any of the super bridge like Panasonic FZ1000, that still has coverage and lightweight.

If you need the versatility and capabilities of D7000 there are good systems with lightweight bodies in m4/3.. tons of bodies and especially tons of lens. Nikon 1 system will also have some tele lens option

sea_jeff Mar 22, 2015 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by barte (Post 23635115)

Quick update: You are right.

Couldn't wait any longer and picked up an X-T1.

It is a brilliant camera. Love the 56mm 1.2, the kit 18-55 and the weather resistant 18-135. Even picked up the XC 50-230 lens which is fantastic as long as there is enough light available.

And for having a camera that I can plunk into my briefcase/backpack/bag or for walking around the X100s has exceeded my expectations. Would recommend without any hesitation.

barte Mar 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Great you like it.
Would love to try the x100t though :)