Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Camera that can post to Instagram or Android compatible Wifi?

Old Jan 22, 14, 4:01 pm
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Dontcareist, Delta & United Silver

Hello,
Apologies if this has been asked before (I did a search and didn't see).

I'm looking for a wifi enabled camera that has the ability to post directly to Instagram (1st choice) or that is Android Wifi Enabled (2nd Choice).

As far as camera specs, I'm not anywhere near a pro photographer, I just want something with a little more meat on the bones than my Samsung galaxy 3 smartphone 8MP for travel (and would rather not travel with my smartphone when I'm not using it as a phone).

Budget flexible for now...I'm just clueless as to where to begin research and would appreciate any suggestions from out in the field. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by The Deal Mommy; Jan 22, 14 at 4:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 22, 14, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.samsung.com/us/photograph...EK-GC110ZWAXAR

That is an entirely Android powered camera, can post to anything you want that has an Android app.
Old Jan 22, 14, 4:23 pm
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Dontcareist, Delta & United Silver
Thanks! Would love to know if anyone has used it and how they like it for durability, wifi usage, etc.
Old Jan 23, 14, 1:13 am

I was going to suggest getting an Eye-Fi card but that Samsung looks interesting.

OP, be aware that the maximum image size instagram supports is 1936x1936 which is about 3.7MP. What I am getting at is that your phone already does what you are looking for and you don't have to buy anything.
Old Jan 23, 14, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy View Post
Thanks! Would love to know if anyone has used it and how they like it for durability, wifi usage, etc.
I have that one and its older version. It takes decent photos - not as good as my Sony RX100 of course, but definitely in line with a top of the line point and shoot. The Android portion is fast, but unlike a normal camera, you can't always just turn it on and shoot away unless it is in "sleep" mode, in which case the batter will only last a few days.
Old Jan 24, 14, 3:55 pm
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
I was going to suggest getting an Eye-Fi card but that Samsung looks interesting.

OP, be aware that the maximum image size instagram supports is 1936x1936 which is about 3.7MP. What I am getting at is that your phone already does what you are looking for and you don't have to buy anything.
Thanks...hadn't thought of image pixel size. Was more thinking of definition, zoom, etc.
Old Jan 24, 14, 3:56 pm
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
I have that one and its older version. It takes decent photos - not as good as my Sony RX100 of course, but definitely in line with a top of the line point and shoot. The Android portion is fast, but unlike a normal camera, you can't always just turn it on and shoot away unless it is in "sleep" mode, in which case the batter will only last a few days.
Thanks! Sounds like just what I'm looking for. Not so worried about battery as I'll usually have a charger available.
Old Jan 24, 14, 4:21 pm

Programs: A3 *G, HH Gold
You can also check out the Sony QX10 and QX100:
http://store.sony.com/smartphone-att...-Light-Cameras
http://store.sony.com/smartphone-att...pfm%3Dcategory

Its a super stripped down camera that connects to your phone via NFC or Wifi and can just be attached to the back of your phone. Actually I think the QX100 is actually using the same sensor and lens as the RX100 too so you'll get pretty good quality while the QX10 is half the price.
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
I know this is a little bit different, but have you thought about a GoPro? The photos are great, the videos are awesome and it's incredibly easy to use. Connects to your phone over wifi via an app and can post immediately from there!
Old Feb 24, 14, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
An alternative to GoPro is a smartphone with a waterproof weatherproof underwater case.