Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Sony FF NEX announcement tonight!

OK guys, if you are not excited, something is wrong with you
Up-to-date info on sonyalpharumors.com
If those cameras are anything close to my RX1R and they work well
with wide rangefinder lenses, tonight might be the most significant
photography announcement in years. Can't wait!

Andrew
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:36 pm
Suspended

No, I'm not excited, because the lenses will not have the main advantage of other mirrorless systems: Small size and weight.

Full frame mirrorless doesn't excite me any more than Full Frame DSLRs do.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:54 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
I am somewhat excited but probably for a different reason than the OP.

With more FF cameras in different classes, the sales and thereby the production of FF sensors increases and the prices come down, benefiting everybody who wants an FF camera regardless of the form factor.

Cheers,
T.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: most of them
Not being called NEX since it's FF.

It will depend on how the lens line up shakes out. But the advantage of other mirrorless systems is the small size and weight of the kit. While you can use adapters for other lenses that adds one more piece to the puzzle so added size and weight.

I know Olympus is pushing the E-M1 with Full Frame shootout comparisons that show even blown up huge most people can't tell the difference between FF and shots from the E-M1. Of course those shots are models in bright lighting conditions. Low light, high ISO comparisons might not be quite so favorable.

It's great that Sony continues to push the technology though.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Not being called NEX since it's FF.

It will depend on how the lens line up shakes out. But the advantage of other mirrorless systems is the small size and weight of the kit. While you can use adapters for other lenses that adds one more piece to the puzzle so added size and weight.

I know Olympus is pushing the E-M1 with Full Frame shootout comparisons that show even blown up huge most people can't tell the difference between FF and shots from the E-M1. Of course those shots are models in bright lighting conditions. Low light, high ISO comparisons might not be quite so favorable.

It's great that Sony continues to push the technology though.
My main hope for this system is that it pushes Olympus to more realistic pricing of their OMD-EM1, which I might buy when I can get one for around $800.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by flyboy60
My main hope for this system is that it pushes Olympus to more realistic pricing of their OMD-EM1, which I might buy when I can get one for around $800.
^^^
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:03 pm

Don't hold your breath on that one. The E-M5 is still almost $1k. And initial demand for the E-M1 has apparently been huge (or at least hugely beyond Oly's ability to fill orders). Don't expect a new $800 E-M1 for a long, long time.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: *G
No, I'm not excited, because the lenses will not have the main advantage of other mirrorless systems: Small size and weight.

Full frame mirrorless doesn't excite me any more than Full Frame DSLRs do.
they dont have the lens selection of MFT either. looking at the EM1 for xmas
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Don't hold your breath on that one. The E-M5 is still almost $1k. And initial demand for the E-M1 has apparently been huge (or at least hugely beyond Oly's ability to fill orders). Don't expect a new $800 E-M1 for a long, long time.
I am willing to bet these Sony FF cameras put a dent in that demand.

In any case, it's a moot point for me right now - I just got an E-PL5, and I have a Panasonic G5, and together they meet my needs. Any body I buy in the future needs to be well behaved with both the Panasonic 20mm lens and the 7-14mm lens, and NONE of the Olympus bodies are.

BTW, I wasn't expecting that $800 price any time soon - I'm realistically talking a year to a year and a half down the road in any case. BTW, Refurb E-M5s with an Olympus warranty can be gotten for $700 nowadays, if I wanted one, which I don't. My E-PL5 and G5 together cost me only about $600.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 6:48 am

Maybe. But people who are invested in m43 infrastructure (lenses, etc) are likely the ones driving E-M1 demand rather than newcomers. Although I am sure there are some newcomers as well. So those folks might consider the Sony. But again the lenses aren't there yet and when they are they will be very expensive. (not that m43 lenses are all cheap, but there are enough relative bargains in the line up)
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:28 am
Suspended

Maybe. But people who are invested in m43 infrastructure (lenses, etc) are likely the ones driving E-M1 demand rather than newcomers. Although I am sure there are some newcomers as well. So those folks might consider the Sony. But again the lenses aren't there yet and when they are they will be very expensive. (not that m43 lenses are all cheap, but there are enough relative bargains in the line up)
On the Micro 4/3 dedicated websites I participate in, there is a lot of fawning over these new Sonys by the same folks who have tried to get an E-M1 on day one, with several of them talking about canceling their orders, or even refusing delivery on orders that are already shipped. Which I agree is silly behavior, but it's how a lot of the folks who need the newest and greatest as soon as possible tend to roll. I've always watched that behavior bemusedly while buying 1 generation (really 6-12 months usually) behind the leading edge at a fraction of the cost (which is why I got a pristine lightly used E-PL5 for under $350 less than a month ago, and a similar condition G5 for just over $250 about 4 months ago).

The fact is, for the next year or so, these Sonys are going to be mainly used as great Full Frame backs for use on a whole raft of legacy manual focus lenses - and they will be great at serving that limited role, I have no doubt. But that's how long it's going to take before there is anything approaching a comprehensive NEW lens offering for them that would serve any serious user.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:13 am

yeah, you're definitely right about that. Most of the online forums are full of people who are just into accumulating gear rather than actually using any of it much.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:27 am
Original Poster

The fact is, for the next year or so, these Sonys are going to be mainly used as great Full Frame backs for use on a whole raft of legacy manual focus lenses - and they will be great at serving that limited role...

maybe it's limited, maybe not. Thanks to NEX many people started using
their old lenses on modern digital cameras, now it's possible to do
on a modern FF digital camera.
I know some amazing lenses like my Voigtlander 125 APO macro
work by far the best on a NEX, can't wait to mount it on a FF NEX.
I also refused to buy a digital Leica camera because they are so bad
it's not even funny (no, I'm not saying "expensive", I'm saying "bad").
Now I can put my great Leica glass on a great camera without cropping.
I think this market is large enough for Sony to take into consideration
in the design process, all the news about micro-lenses etc clearly
are aimed at people like me. There is honestly only one bit of info
we are all waiting for - how well it's gonna work with wide rangefinder lenses.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
Just started using this little puppy - RX1R. Exactly what a traveler wants - compact, sharp and very good low light performance.

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
OK guys, if you are not excited, something is wrong with you
Up-to-date info on sonyalpharumors.com
If those cameras are anything close to my RX1R and they work well
with wide rangefinder lenses, tonight might be the most significant
photography announcement in years. Can't wait!

Andrew
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
maybe it's limited, maybe not. Thanks to NEX many people started using
their old lenses on modern digital cameras, now it's possible to do
on a modern FF digital camera.
I know some amazing lenses like my Voigtlander 125 APO macro
work by far the best on a NEX, can't wait to mount it on a FF NEX.
I also refused to buy a digital Leica camera because they are so bad
it's not even funny (no, I'm not saying "expensive", I'm saying "bad").
Now I can put my great Leica glass on a great camera without cropping.
I think this market is large enough for Sony to take into consideration
in the design process, all the news about micro-lenses etc clearly
are aimed at people like me. There is honestly only one bit of info
we are all waiting for - how well it's gonna work with wide rangefinder lenses.
You might not be as happy with Leica lenses on a Sony A7 or A7R as you might hope - early indications are not so good:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...o-reasons.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.