Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most vital DSLR accessories?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Question Most vital DSLR accessories?

I recently wrote an article online on the most vital DSLR accessories for new owners, but the list was rather short (8) so I wanted to know some more. Please keep your items to under $200 apiece since these are beginners.

Here's the original list
Old May 29, 2013, 4:42 pm
Suspended

An assistant to carry my gear
Old May 29, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I stopped reading at item 1. Sorry to be rude, but advising the purchase of a $10 UV filter is about the worst advice you could give a newbie.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: most of them
I kind of have to agree with CPRich. I would say a circular polarizer is a much more important tool than a UV filter.

I also prefer carbon fiber tripods which are usually a bit lighter but just as strong as aluminum. Of course you also need a head to go with the tripod and that's not on your list.

I also have to wonder what kind of quality a $20 fisheye lens has.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Written like a camera store salesman on commission, triple spiff on accessories!
Old May 29, 2013, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
I stopped reading at item 1. Sorry to be rude, but advising the purchase of a $10 UV filter is about the worst advice you could give a newbie.
What's so terrible about the idea of keeping a cheap filter always on your expensive glass as protection??
Old May 29, 2013, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
What's so terrible about the idea of keeping a cheap filter always on your expensive glass as protection??
For protection, maybe.

The cheap filter then becomes the weakest link in the optical path.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:14 pm
Suspended

I use lens caps for that.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
I never use filters, I don't like the extra piece of glass which can increase, or even create flare in images.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I only agree with a couple of your "essentials" but everyone has their own sense of what is important. I would correct some misinformation though. On a consumer-grade DSLR with crop sensor, the fast-50 neither "mirrors the human eye" nor creates wide-angle shots. Unless used on a full-frame DSLR or film SLR, the 50 mm is a short telephoto. "Normal range" for crop-sensor DSLRs is 30-35 mm.

I'd agree with others that a UV filter isn't really very useful for digital photography. In the film days it had its place but for protection on a digital camera, a super-clear protection filter is far better. Better yet is NO filter, relying instead on the lens hood and cap to protect the lens.

You didn't mention lens hoods. I assume you include that as part of the lens but many beginners make the mistake of leaving it off - or in the reversed travel configuration all the time. The hood must be on and in the proper configuration to do the job and is far more important than any filter.

Although not really a "beginner" item, the most used filter in my camera bag is a circular polarizer. You need to know when and how to use it, though.

I'd add extra memory card(s) to your list, along with something to clean lens surfaces - a lens cloth, brush, or my preference, a lens pen. Small and easy to carry around, with a brush on one end and cleaning pad on the other.

Old May 30, 2013, 8:47 am

The "nifty fifty" is a decent lens for the price. As others have mentioned, on a crop sensor, it's a short telephoto. For something this cheap, skip the filter.

A cheap UV filter becomes the weakest link. If you're spending $$$$ on expensive lenses, get high quality filters (preferably B&W, or Hoya). Otherwise, just use the lens hood for protection.

The only filters I use these days are circular polarizer and neutral density filters.

Tripods. Quality tripods and ballheads are expensive. Don't buy the junk stuff that is weak or is susceptible to vibrations.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:59 am

If I am going to a really dirty, dusty place, I use Nikon NC (Neutral Clear) filters. I worry about dust particles scratching my lenses as I try to clean them in a rush.

Nothing wrong with a high quality clear filter for protection when needed.
Old May 30, 2013, 5:29 pm

I use a two axis bubble level quite a bit. Helps avoid leaning people, downhill roads that don't, fake leaning towers etc. cost? about $20. And very useful with tripods.

Another tool: remote shutter release. goes well with a tripod, good for shake free long exposures etc. non-canon work and are cheap on amazon, b&H etc.

finally, the cheapest and most useful of all: a baggie and rubber band. Starting to drizzle? tear a hole in the bag for the lens to stick through. Rubber band in place. Put your hand through the big hole or work through the bag. Protects cameras quite well while you get that glistening shot.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:36 pm

The glass is expensive for specific reasons. A cheap filter in front of it defeats one or more of those reasons.

A better investment is a lens hood.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by klevin99
I use a two axis bubble level quite a bit. Helps avoid leaning people, downhill roads that don't, fake leaning towers etc. cost? about $20. And very useful with tripods.

Another tool: remote shutter release. goes well with a tripod, good for shake free long exposures etc. non-canon work and are cheap on amazon, b&H etc.

finally, the cheapest and most useful of all: a baggie and rubber band. Starting to drizzle? tear a hole in the bag for the lens to stick through. Rubber band in place. Put your hand through the big hole or work through the bag. Protects cameras quite well while you get that glistening shot.
All great ideas, completely agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.