Reload this Page >

Pelican 1500 vs 1510

Pelican 1500 vs 1510

Old Mar 22, 13, 3:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Pelican 1500 vs 1510

Searched but only found one thread remotely close to this topic, if it should be in Travel Products, mods feel free to move, but thought it should be there as it's about camera gear.

I'm looking at getting a Pelican Case for transporting my gear for an upcoming London/Paris/Zurich trip. I'm torn between the 1500 and the 1510 for transportation. Either way I'll be carrying-on the case, any only gate checking if I have to, so I can put a masterlock on it.

So far I'll be taking my 60D w/ grip, Tokina 11-16mm, 40mm pancake, my 18-135mm kit, 8mm fisheye, and the 430 EX II flash. I might replace the kit lense with something a little nicer, but in that same general size. I'll also have a tripod, charger, extra batteries, and a pelican memory card case. This is on top of my MacBook, iPad mini, 1TB external hard drive and various other cables to support everything.

The 1510 seems a little deeper than I would need, as the deepest thing I'll be putting in is my 60D w/ grip. But dunno how well that extra space would work out. Anyone have experience with the two cases and can give some feedback?
Old Mar 28, 13, 1:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
I would advise against the 1500 as it has no wheels and that weight becomes a killer after a while if you have it loaded or going long distances. I have 3 pelican 1510 cases 2 are 1510 with padded dividersand a 1510SC and are configured for various photo gear.

From what you are sayinga 1510SC might be a better choice for you so you can have everything in one case. Just couple things to be aware of is make the case look like it weighs nothing as gate agents and airline personel will key in on it to gate check it. I would also carry inside the case a set of very strong locks that theives (TSA, or baggage handlers) cant cut and a cheap duffel you can use as a cover.

Also look at storm cases as they are just as strong just a little lighter; the 1510 equiv is IM2500. Then if you want something a little less obvious look at the Think Tank Photo - Airport Series of bags.
Old Mar 28, 13, 8:21 am

Just a note that neither case is ideal for moving around while you're shooting though. I use a 1510 and a 1610 for location lighting, and I pull it out of the trunk into a location -- and that's about it. The 1610 is even a pain (loaded) to get up and down stairs. While the 1510 is lighter, it's still not as flexible as a backpack or rolling ThinkTank as Scubatooth recommends. From the locations, it doesn't seem like you're needing wilderness/waterproof protection. Not sure if you're dropping your gear into smaller bags when you get there, but you may have second thoughts lugging around a Pelican while you're shooting.

Or just do what I do and have a closet half full of camera bags!
Old Mar 28, 13, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by tbassny View Post
Just a note that neither case is ideal for moving around while you're shooting though. I use a 1510 and a 1610 for location lighting, and I pull it out of the trunk into a location -- and that's about it. The 1610 is even a pain (loaded) to get up and down stairs. While the 1510 is lighter, it's still not as flexible as a backpack or rolling ThinkTank as Scubatooth recommends. From the locations, it doesn't seem like you're needing wilderness/waterproof protection. Not sure if you're dropping your gear into smaller bags when you get there, but you may have second thoughts lugging around a Pelican while you're shooting.

Or just do what I do and have a closet half full of camera bags!
Pelican cases do have there disadvantages. I used them mainly for protection of critical equipment when traveling, but not once on location other then the one dedicated for UW Housing and associated gear.

Isnt that the truthl photographers and bag addicts/collectors. I rotate through alot of my bags/cases although my main stays (espcially when I dont want to check a bag) are my North Face Surge backpack, Mountainsmith Day with strapettes, and Mountainsmith Boarding Pass.
Old Mar 29, 13, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Scubatooth View Post
I would advise against the 1500 as it has no wheels and that weight becomes a killer after a while if you have it loaded or going long distances. I have 3 pelican 1510 cases 2 are 1510 with padded dividersand a 1510SC and are configured for various photo gear.

From what you are sayinga 1510SC might be a better choice for you so you can have everything in one case. Just couple things to be aware of is make the case look like it weighs nothing as gate agents and airline personel will key in on it to gate check it. I would also carry inside the case a set of very strong locks that theives (TSA, or baggage handlers) cant cut and a cheap duffel you can use as a cover.

Also look at storm cases as they are just as strong just a little lighter; the 1510 equiv is IM2500. Then if you want something a little less obvious look at the Think Tank Photo - Airport Series of bags.
I have 20+yrs old 1650 that I used to use when I was carrying gear .
I still use 1510 divider with lid organizer for pleasure photo trips. I do not have any gate check issue if needed; just slap a padlock on.

Pelicans can be an overkill unless you have no choice regarding the handling of the case. I too, always place the case in a scruffy looking duffle as disguise. ThinkTank and other similiar Tamrac, Tenba, LowePro cases will do just as good a job.

The new 1510SC looks interesting with the computer lid. Do you know if they sell that lid organizer separately? I am just not willing to add to my 1510 collection.

Last edited by tentseller; Mar 29, 13 at 10:18 am
Old Mar 29, 13, 7:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

There is no way I'm using a Pelican to transport gear once at my destination/hotel. I just want something I can gate check if I HAVE to without being worried about it, and these were my two options that I saw.

And yes, I have quite a stash of camera bags, but I've been trying to weed them out lately and sold a few. I tend to find though, that all my bags are either just a tad to big or a tad too small, no matter what I order.

I might look at the 1510SC, but I want the foam (pick foam, I think it's called, right?) that I can set up myself, for better protection. I don't have a problem putting my laptop into the case, as I can just use my iPad for the plane, but if I'm going to have to have a bag for my iPad, batteries, earphones, etc. I might as well have a bag for the plane (with my macbook), a case for gear, and a bag for clothes.

Last edited by PainCorp; Mar 31, 13 at 12:27 am
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:59 am

Are you absolutely sure you want to buy a Pelican? The protection is great if there's a risk of water damage but keep in mind the 1500 weighs 3.2kg. This would double or even triple the weight of your kit.

I thought it'd be fun to have a bright yellow Pelican a couple of months ago but i've probably only taken it out two or three times because they're just so damn heavy.
Old Apr 3, 13, 2:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I'd love to be completely certain that I wouldn't have to check the gear, and that I could keep it on my person for all my flights/trains that I'll be taking. Unfortunately I can't, and I don't really trust any of my "walking around" bags to be checked on a potential 15 hour flight home from Oz, or on any of my shorter trips in EU/UK.

This case won't be used for transporting the gear around my destinations, just transportation from Point A to Point B. If you can suggest something as durable and rugged I'm willing to look at it, but seeing what a Pelican can handle, and having punished quite a few of them with gear valued at more than I make in a year inside, I feel pretty safe with them protecting my measly little personal collection, despite the minimal extra weight.
Old Apr 3, 13, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
The new 1510SC looks interesting with the computer lid. Do you know if they sell that lid organizer separately? I am just not willing to add to my 1510 collection.
You would have to call and ask them my last set of dividers and laptop lid pack were gifts/gratis from a gear rep.

Paincorp - I tend to ditch the pelican case once on location and same goes for around water. The duffel cover I have looks like its been through hell and back so doenst raise any eyes plus it takes up less room then a qt ziplock bag.

Too big or too small is how it goes it seems, but doesn't mean you cant influence change. One eye opener recently I have a case that I was looking to get another that was discontinued by the manufacture,but due to requests/demand that they are going to bring it back but also asking for input from end users on dimensions and specs, and accessories.

So if you like a bag but it needs changes send in the suggestions as manufactures do listen to feedback.

Kenneth Chong - Weight is always a factor that is where storm or seahourse cases come in as they save a a few pounds without giving up strength.
Old Apr 4, 13, 1:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

You would have to call and ask them my last set of dividers and laptop lid pack were gifts/gratis from a gear rep.

Paincorp - I tend to ditch the pelican case once on location and same goes for around water. The duffel cover I have looks like its been through hell and back so doenst raise any eyes plus it takes up less room then a qt ziplock bag.

Too big or too small is how it goes it seems, but doesn't mean you cant influence change. One eye opener recently I have a case that I was looking to get another that was discontinued by the manufacture,but due to requests/demand that they are going to bring it back but also asking for input from end users on dimensions and specs, and accessories.

So if you like a bag but it needs changes send in the suggestions as manufactures do listen to feedback.

Kenneth Chong - Weight is always a factor that is where storm or seahourse cases come in as they save a a few pounds without giving up strength.
Yeah, might get a duffel bag/cover if I go with the 1500, but I can only imagine how awkward that would go with the 1510.

What bag are you referring to about being brought back? I'm always on the look out for my next bag.

Last edited by PainCorp; Apr 8, 13 at 1:20 am
Old Apr 7, 13, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp View Post
Yeah, might get a duffel bag/cover if I go with the 1500, but I can only imagine how award that would go with the 1510.
Awkard yes, but I am not one to allow $10K+ worth of gear out of my control without assumption of liability paperwork first, and why its in the case. Not going through that ordeal ever again, not without a fight.

What bag are you referring to about being brought back? I'm always on the look out for my next bag.
Its the mountainsmith boardingpass. I have had a mountainsmith rollaboard since the Correspondent when it was first released. Need a couple more rollaboard type bags for new gear set-ups.
Old Apr 8, 13, 1:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Awkard yes, but I am not one to allow $10K+ worth of gear out of my control without assumption of liability paperwork first, and why its in the case. Not going through that ordeal ever again, not without a fight.
I can only imagine how shady that could look with the bag cut to allow the handle and the wheels out of the duffel.

Valid point about liability, I'm not too concerned with gate checking the case, as I can put a masterlock on it that doesn't have to be TSA approved. I also don't travel with $10k in gear, I don't make enough to invest that much in my hobby, at least not in the increments you probably purchased your glass and bodies.

I was just at a gig this week and they had several Pelican 1500s and 1510s that we were loading in, but I didn't have time to look at them side by side. Might have to do that tomorrow depending on some other stuff. I have enough sitting in my Amazon account in GCs to purchase either case right now, just waiting for a sale with them, if they ever put them on sale.
Old Apr 8, 13, 4:56 am

I can only imagine how shady that could look with the bag cut to allow the handle and the wheels out of the duffel.
Guess I should have clarified in that the duffel I have is to put the 1510 in if Im forced to check/ gate check

Valid point about liability, I'm not too concerned with gate checking the case, as I can put a masterlock on it that doesn't have to be TSA approved. I also don't travel with $10k in gear, I don't make enough to invest that much in my hobby, at least not in the increments you probably purchased your glass and bodies.
My gear kit is from adding piece by piece over years, most of it when I was shooting full time.

I was just at a gig this week and they had several Pelican 1500s and 1510s that we were loading in, but I didn't have time to look at them side by side. Might have to do that tomorrow depending on some other stuff. I have enough sitting in my Amazon account in GCs to purchase either case right now, just waiting for a sale with them, if they ever put them on sale.
Pelican cases dont go on sale very often and if they do its not very much. Best prices I have seen recently were from http://www.pelicancasesforless.com/.
Old Apr 8, 13, 12:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Guess I should have clarified in that the duffel I have is to put the 1510 in if Im forced to check/ gate check
Ah, I thought it was to keep attention away from it to try and just roll it on to the plane, without them picking it out for weight as a pelican.

Pelican cases dont go on sale very often and if they do its not very much. Best prices I have seen recently were from http://www.pelicancasesforless.com/.
I'll keep this site bookmarked, but Amazon.com beats them for both the 1500 and 1510 right now.
Old Apr 8, 13, 5:01 pm

sorry to hijack the thread, but is there a pelicase that fits a 17" laptop and camera gear whilst still being 'carry on friendly'

The 1510 looks ideal (for carry on purposes) but not sure its internal dims are enough to take 2 bodies, a couple of lenses and a laptop measuring 40x30x3cm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: