Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What's the best place to share photos online?

Old Jan 23, 13, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG

Facebook is easiest b/c it's connected to most of my friends.. but given that you lose photographic rights, plus they condense your photo quality.. i'm wondering what's a better alternative.. i see pro/con to a variety, was wondering if there are some new alternatives I haven't heard of lately.

I'm looking for in order of importance:

-storage of photo at original size (so ONLY I can download it at any location).. but if you right click, you can only get a tiny screen resolution version, or best not able to right click->save as
- a site that doesn't 'own' your uploads or photo rights
- able to share with people and easy to use/upload, easy to use interface (i.e. for other users to browse photos, across albums etc)
- able to create albums/folders etc.
- no (or limited) storage limit
- ability to leave comments
- free is great.. some reasonable cost ok too

Outside of creating my own webpage, any existing service provide this?

Cheers!
Old Jan 23, 13, 10:52 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by vmsea View Post
Facebook is easiest b/c it's connected to most of my friends.. but given that you lose photographic rights, plus they condense your photo quality.. i'm wondering what's a better alternative.. i see pro/con to a variety, was wondering if there are some new alternatives I haven't heard of lately.

I'm looking for in order of importance:

-storage of photo at original size (so ONLY I can download it at any location).. but if you right click, you can only get a tiny screen resolution version, or best not able to right click->save as
- a site that doesn't 'own' your uploads or photo rights
- able to share with people and easy to use/upload, easy to use interface (i.e. for other users to browse photos, across albums etc)
- able to create albums/folders etc.
- no (or limited) storage limit
- ability to leave comments
- free is great.. some reasonable cost ok too

Outside of creating my own webpage, any existing service provide this?

Cheers!
www.flickr.com -"pro" $25pa for unlimited

BTW anyone with screen capture can copy/steal your photos from any site, right-click disabled or not @:-) .
Old Jan 23, 13, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
www.flickr.com -"pro" $25pa for unlimited

BTW anyone with screen capture can copy/steal your photos from any site, right-click disabled or not @:-) .

True.. but they'd only get the 'screen' copy.. not the 25mb original file size/resolution right?
Old Jan 23, 13, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
True.. but they'd only get the 'screen' copy.. not the 25mb original file size/resolution right?
Correct.
Old Jan 23, 13, 10:46 pm

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Not really correct. For those who put in some effort can get the full things.
Old Jan 24, 13, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smugmug has various plans. It's run by photographers for photographers.

https://secure.smugmug.com/skiptrial.mg
Old Jan 25, 13, 7:15 am

Programs: Qantas
Razzi isn't bad - all free, and easy to use. That's what I use, especially since flickr has hit the limit. Easy to import flikr images as well - unlimited number of photos too.
Old Jan 25, 13, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I had a pro Flickr account but now I refused to pay. I switched to Panaramio. If you have a Google account use Panaramio. Its free and easy to share photos.
Old Jan 25, 13, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's impossible to actually disable right click save as. The only way you can stop them from downloading the high res version is to not show the high res version.

If you run into a site that disables right click simply load the page and turn off javascript. Alternately, load it in Firefox, view page info, media. The image is there, save it.
Old Jan 26, 13, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Make a website with Squarespace. File storage is one thing you can limit access to, e.g. to you or someone with a password you assign (not the user) and the files are thus inaccessible - while the photos you have in galleries are web sized 72 ppi that are worthless to downloaders.

It has all the features you want including comments, galleries (albums) , and a WYSIWYG interface that anyone can figure out. Very modular with modules you can add in seconds. You can set up galleries that are also limited to users, and others that are publicly accessible.

There is no limit on a paid account but IIRC file sizes are limited to 20MB per item which is a pretty large photo. Very large.

I have had a Squarespace site for about 3 years and there's yet to be something I cannot do on it.
Old Jan 27, 13, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I also use Smugmug, and have for about several years. They have unlimited storage, including full-res jpeg (though not RAW files - I have Crashplan for that), and have many tiers/levels of security. In fact, they went through a bit of a challenge with a hacker group a few years back the really pushed them to get the security right.

It is pay, and you need an Power account to perform detailed customization, which is somewhat difficult (unless you're a css whiz). I sense that they aren't as out in front of the competitors as they were years ago, but I'm still with them. It's worth at least a try. Coupon code G171UaFcXSOjA gets you some kind of discount. (I get some credit too, I believe, though it's been years since I used it).
Old Jan 28, 13, 8:52 am

Programs: most of them
I use Picasaweb for mine. Since I have had the account for several years I am "grandfathered" and get 20 GB extra space for $5 a year. But it looks like if you are new you have to pay $2.50 a month for 25 GB of space and you have to use Google+ instead of Picasaweb. I HATED Google+ when it first came out and hijacked my Picasaweb. Had to ditch Google+ altogether in order to get Picasaweb back. Not sure if it is any better now, but I doubt it.

Shutterfly is pretty easy to use. Free, unlimited storage. (I believe)
Old Jan 29, 13, 2:47 pm

I have Flickr pro and Smugmug, although I prefer Flickr a lot more -- mainly because I'm not a pro photographer looking to sell my photos, prefer flickr's ui and iOS app, and just generally have a lot of friends who use Flickr as well. Facebook is indeed easiest because it's how all my friends can see my pictures, so I just link to my flickr account.
Old Jan 30, 13, 12:35 am

is there any possibility to stop stealing images from facebook. According to me, it is not...
Old Jan 30, 13, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lisare View Post
is there any possibility to stop stealing images from facebook. According to me, it is not...

right click -> save as?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: