Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What's the best place to share photos online?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best place to share photos online?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Whatever notions of Google you harbor, the fact is that cblaisd's suggestion is a perfectly good one given your stated concerns. I am unaware of any online photo sharing service that does not require users to sign up for an account. Merely creating a Google account and uploading some photos will not result in jackbooted Google employees banging down your door and carting off your bank details.

If you'd prefer to build your own web server and share your photos that way, enjoy. But that seems to be a lot more bother than it's worth.
Thank you. The poster might also want to consider a Pogoplug device, but, still, his data will have to travel across the internet and thus is potentially hackable.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
So if I understand.

You want a site for just some people to be able to access

Yet you don't want the people to have to register to gain that access?

And you don't want anybody who is not on the list to be able to view them?

Since no such place exists, I would probably recommend you purchase as many flash drives as there are people and just send them the pictures directly.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A shared folder on Google Drive comes with the option of setting it up so that ones shared with don't in fact have to register.

Or, in line with your suggestion, the OP could also mail the printed photos so as to have no electronic version that could be somehow misappropriated.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
New Flickr is not bad for free accounts, 1TB of storage is huge. Interface redesign is similar to 500px, a lot of people are vocal about it, but I like it.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:57 am
Suspended

SkyDrive

You’ve got access to everything on your SkyDrive, your personal cloud, wherever you are. Your photos, documents, and other important files are available to you on your phone, tablet, PC, or Mac. In short, your stuff and your info isn’t limited to any single PC or device.

And, if you’re on Windows 8, and signed into a Microsoft account, you can view all your photos and files, edit and share Office documents, or share with whomever you choose. Plus, stuff like your background, your display, and your settings roam with you.

If you want to automatically sync your files across your computers, install the free desktop app on them — including Windows 8, Windows 7, or Vista, and Mac OS X Lion computers.

You’ll be able to access your photos and files from almost anywhere, store them, and easily share them. You can also try SkyDrive on the go with the SkyDrive mobile app.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:43 pm

New Flickr

What does everyone think about the Flickr new terms ? I currently have the $25 Pro plan. From the Flickr forum, most reactions are negative as the price basically increases from the $25 Pro plan to $50 Ad Free plan for the same features. I suppose the Free account is not suitable for hosting pictures in the FT trip report section.

And while I have less than 1 Terabyte worth of photos currently to stay within the Free account limit, I would like to be able to view my photos Ad Free !

I am looking for a Flickr alternative, is there any for around $25 / year for similar Flickr Pro features ? Or is the $50/ year Ad Free plan still a reasonable deal ?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by UAFlyer
What does everyone think about the Flickr new terms ? I currently have the $25 Pro plan. From the Flickr forum, most reactions are negative as the price basically increases from the $25 Pro plan to $50 Ad Free plan for the same features. I suppose the Free account is not suitable for hosting pictures in the FT trip report section.

And while I have less than 1 Terabyte worth of photos currently to stay within the Free account limit, I would like to be able to view my photos Ad Free !

I am looking for a Flickr alternative, is there any for around $25 / year for similar Flickr Pro features ? Or is the $50/ year Ad Free plan still a reasonable deal ?
If you are currently on the pro plan you can keep paying that perpetually and keep the same benefits. Flickr changed their mind so that you could renew pro even if you didn't have auto renew enabled. I think it's worth keeping the pro. The layout and flow is similar to 500px and you still have the benefit of the social forums, which is a major drawcard to Flickr.

500px is still quite good but it's a different crowd, and in the past 6 months comment and favourite farming has increased substantially (ie "hey nice pic, please check out my photos too" etc).

As long as you can copy and paste the html code (ie click on share then get the html code) then you can continue to use Flickr for trip reports etc, so the free account will still be fine.

Last edited by ozdude; Jun 17, 2013 at 7:01 am
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:03 am

Thanks

Originally Posted by ozdude
If you are currently on the pro plan you can keep paying that perpetually and keep the same benefits. Flickr changed their mind so that you could renew pro even if you didn't have auto renew enabled. I think it's worth keeping the pro. The layout and flow is not similar to 500px and you still have the benefit of the social forums, which is a major drawcard to Flickr.

500px is still quite good but it's a different crowd, and in the past 6 months comment and favourite farming has increased substantially (ie "hey nice pic, please check out my photos too" etc).

As long as you can copy and paste the html code (ie click on share then get the html code) then you can continue to use Flickr for trip reports etc, so the free account will still be fine.
Thanks ozdude. I was not aware Flickr changed their mind, just signed up to stay Pro with an automatic 2-year renewal. I think $44.95 / 2 year is a very good deal, assuming they don't change the terms again.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I'm looking for a dedicated photo sharing upon for one time use by a restricted group of people; are there any out there?
One thing SmugMug allows you to do is to set up an unlisted gallery, which won't show up on your home SmugMug page (unless you're logged into your account), but which is visible to others IF you provide them with the exact URL to the gallery. Galleries can also be set to block search engines (both Google and SmugMug's own onsite engine) from finding them. If you put your photos up in an unlisted gallery and block all searches, you can be fairly confident that no one you don't want seeing your pictures will accidentally stumble onto them - but your friends/family need only to click on the URL you give them to see the pics (no login required). Would that suit your needs?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:12 am

It depends if your pictures are larger in size that can not attached with the email. Then you can create a 4shared or media fire account and upload your pictures over there and share those pictures links with the desired people. And the benefit is that they don't change the quality.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by UAFlyer
Thanks ozdude. I was not aware Flickr changed their mind, just signed up to stay Pro with an automatic 2-year renewal. I think $44.95 / 2 year is a very good deal, assuming they don't change the terms again.
Yeah I also hope they don't change their Ts and Cs with respect to legacy pro accounts.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:17 am

My suggestion. Besides, its free

I would suggest http://www.zenfolio.com. However, the website is not free. So I would say, flickr.com is a pretty decent one. It does not compress the photos unlike any other photo-hosting sites.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ozdude
New Flickr is not bad for free accounts, 1TB of storage is huge. Interface redesign is similar to 500px, a lot of people are vocal about it, but I like it.
I uploaded a few pics to Flickr in 2006 and then totally forgot about the service.

Last week, I was looking around for a cloud backup for my files (total of about 100GB), stressing that I was going to have to break things up among a bunch of 5GB-7GB sites. Then I stumbled upon Flickr, with 1TB! It appears to support over 95% of my total needs (which are mostly photo/video file types). So between Flickr and one other Dropbox/Google/Microsoft type site for music and other random non-photo documents, I think I'm set. My only challenge is that sending 100 gigs to the cloud takes a while even with a strong broadband connection.

I'm shocked that they didn't get more media buzz for 1TB free. I was blown away when I saw that. There doesn't seem to be a catch beyond the limited file types...although Yahoo obviously has some sort of long-range strategy for doing this...

So far, the interface seems easy enough to me, just uploading blocks of 200 photos at a time and putting them into sets. Guess it would be nice to be able to upload 2000+ at a time and let it run overnight...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I uploaded a few pics to Flickr in 2006 and then totally forgot about the service.

Last week, I was looking around for a cloud backup for my files (total of about 100GB), stressing that I was going to have to break things up among a bunch of 5GB-7GB sites. Then I stumbled upon Flickr, with 1TB! It appears to support over 95% of my total needs (which are mostly photo/video file types). So between Flickr and one other Dropbox/Google/Microsoft type site for music and other random non-photo documents, I think I'm set. My only challenge is that sending 100 gigs to the cloud takes a while even with a strong broadband connection.

I'm shocked that they didn't get more media buzz for 1TB free. I was blown away when I saw that. There doesn't seem to be a catch beyond the limited file types...although Yahoo obviously has some sort of long-range strategy for doing this...

So far, the interface seems easy enough to me, just uploading blocks of 200 photos at a time and putting them into sets. Guess it would be nice to be able to upload 2000+ at a time and let it run overnight...
They got more media buzz around the pro account issue, which probably took away from the free 1TB accounts. You can find many apps to bulk upload and download from your profile, so it is a great option for backing up original size jpegs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.