Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

The Nikon D600 is coming

The Nikon D600 is coming

Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
The Nikon D600 is coming

The rumor mill has been going on for a while but it now seems the low-price Nikon FX camera is finally about to arrive. The announcement should come in September.

Expected full specs can be found here, but in essence we are looking at a full frame 24 Mpix camera at around USD 1500.

To me, the D600 seems like a game-changer in the prosumer segment.

Cheers,
T.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
I have a friend who is a pro who told me about the rumors a while back, and I have been anticipating. I am set to upgrade from my Sony A100 to the next level, and this may send me the way of Nikon.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Just get a used D700.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: NullPointerException
I just hope canon follows suit, I've been thinking it's almost time to upgrade my camera - 30D - and would like to go full frame for my EF lenses but full frame with canon has been priced prohibitively...

Nice job Nikon.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 9Benua
Just get a used D700.
Quite frankly, no. The four years between D700 and D600 means a major difference in sensor and image processor technology.

Cheers,
T.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: most of them
I didn't think the price was confirmed. My guess is that it will be more than US$1500. Probably closer to $2K, but still $1000 cheaper than a D800.

Another interesting thing is that the D7000 is apparently being discontinued. But no clear word on a D7100 replacement for it.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Photokina is coming up. All the mfrs are gearing up for their new releases.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

The D600 is official now. The specs as found here are pretty much as expected apart from one significant exception. The price is not the rumored/wished for $1500 but rather $2099. This is still an interesting price point but not truly game changing.

Cheers,
T.

Last edited by Thalassa; Sep 13, 2012 at 7:42 am Reason: Incorrect link
Old Sep 13, 2012, 3:02 am
Suspended

when it will come and what new features for next genration of it.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eithan
when it will come and what new features for next genration of it.
Nikon is promising availability starting September 18. The specs can be found behind the link in my previous post (the link is corrected now).

There is little groundbreaking tech in the D600, one could call it a scaled-down and less-expensive D800. But it is the least expensive full frame Nikon.

Cheers,
T.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:13 am

a far better camera for travelling would be the

SIGMA DP2 Merrill^^

It is really compact, has a fantastic lens, and resolution about on par with the Nikon D800...
too sad nobody knows this camera because sigma is such a niche player. anyways I have the predecessor, the sigma dp2, and planning to buy this great beast.
be warned though: the sigma dp2 merrill is not for somebody who just wants to "point and shoot", it is for people who are genuinly interested
Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidVIE
SIGMA DP2 Merrill^^

It is really compact, has a fantastic lens, and resolution about on par with the Nikon D800...
too sad nobody knows this camera because sigma is such a niche player. anyways I have the predecessor, the sigma dp2, and planning to buy this great beast.
be warned though: the sigma dp2 merrill is not for somebody who just wants to "point and shoot", it is for people who are genuinly interested
The DP2m is an interesting camera (as is its sibling the DP1m) with the Foveon sensor giving some fantastic results. Having said that, comparing it with a full frame DSLR is really apples and oranges. Better comparisons would be the Fuji X100, Sony RX1, or even some Leicas.

Cheers,
T.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Thalassa
The DP2m is an interesting camera (as is its sibling the DP1m) with the Foveon sensor giving some fantastic results. Having said that, comparing it with a full frame DSLR is really apples and oranges. Better comparisons would be the Fuji X100, Sony RX1, or even some Leicas.

Cheers,
T.
sure, youre totally right with that of course, just wanted to point out a compact alternative (with many pros and cons that are better discussed in photo forums) that rivals the big, heavy D600 in terms of image quality. To me, a compact format is important as I travel with a carry on only most of the time.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
For only $900 less than a D800 get a D800.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
And Canon releases the 6D as a direct competitor. On paper, the biggest dud in this market in quite some time. Perhaps testing will show that it's better in person than on paper. But I'm not holding my breath.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.