Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Best Pocket-Sized Point and Shoot < $1000

Best Pocket-Sized Point and Shoot < $1000

Old Oct 16, 13, 7:16 pm

Programs: *G
yes, great range and aperture... but it seems to be large. not pocketable at all
Old Oct 17, 13, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyboy60 View Post
That's a high price for a used S95, unless it was barely used with all the in-box accessories included. I'd say under $200 is fair value. I would also add, at that same under $200 price, the Olympus XZ-1. BTW, I don't agree that the lens on the S100 is better than the one on the S95. The zoom range is broader, but the lens is slower as well.
Originally Posted by jacknyoc View Post
you won't regret getting the Canon S...it provides a great deal of flexibility or simply straight Auto shooting. Check Amazon...used S100s are going for low $200s and have a newer sensor and improved lens (wider and longer zoom).
Thanks flyboy60 and jacknyoc! I'll see if I can find a better deal on the S95 or look into the S100 in the low $200s instead. I'll take a look at the Olympus XZ-1 as well and see how that stacks up
Old Oct 18, 13, 11:23 am
Suspended

If one goes back to the premise of this thread - a pocket sized point and shoot for under $1000, the newly announced Panasonic GM1 basically brings interchangeable lenses and a larger and excellent sensor to a camera the size of a Sony RX100. This camera appears to be about $750 with it's kit lens, which is a very small interchangeable zoom lens (24-65mm equivalent). Other options will be fast primes of either 28mm or 40mm equivalents, and really tiny telephoto zooms will also be available for it.

Basically, think of it as a Sony RX100 II but with interchangeable lenses and a sensor that's twice the size.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pan...lumix-dmc-gm1/

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-35829216.html
Old Oct 18, 13, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL, BA
I just spent a week with a colleague's DSC-RX100 (I think it's version 2?). Great camera for the non-serious photographer (me). I'd probably pick one up but for the fact that my Fuji X100s (with viewfinder) is almost as portable.
Old Oct 20, 13, 10:15 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mrbrad View Post
I just spent a week with a colleague's DSC-RX100 (I think it's version 2?). Great camera for the non-serious photographer (me). I'd probably pick one up but for the fact that my Fuji X100s (with viewfinder) is almost as portable.
theyre complimentary. the x100s is portable, but not really pocketable (except for large coat pockets). and it has only 1 focal length. you can crop... but its 16mp as a starting point, rather than 20mp on the rx100
Old Jan 11, 14, 2:39 am

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Pleasantly surprised by the LX7. Good price from B&H, got here yesterday. We'll see.... Years of lugging SLR's prompted my mirrorless test. Wanted something more portable & discreet.

1st tests show some of that Panasonic noise also prevalent in their video cameras. Both the DVX & HVX bodies were TV workhorses until this whole HDSLR thing happened. I digress... Panny's have trademark noise just like Sony has that sharpness detail overload.

Anyway - pics to follow
Old Jan 11, 14, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Glad you're enjoying it...good luck with it. It's a good camera.

Still happy with my Canon s100 when I don't want to carry the dslr kit around. Despite being a life-long Nikon fan and user, the Canon p&s is very nice...great functionality and really nice colors. I got a great deal on a lightly used S100 and sold my s95 (both of which I like a lot...but the extra zoom reach with the s100 is nice). I've looked at the new s120, but think I'll pass for now.

it's pretty amazing all the pretty high-end p&s equipment available these days...

Originally Posted by fevercity View Post
Pleasantly surprised by the LX7. Good price from B&H, got here yesterday. We'll see.... Years of lugging SLR's prompted my mirrorless test. Wanted something more portable & discreet.

1st tests show some of that Panasonic noise also prevalent in their video cameras. Both the DVX & HVX bodies were TV workhorses until this whole HDSLR thing happened. I digress... Panny's have trademark noise just like Sony has that sharpness detail overload.

Anyway - pics to follow
Old Jan 11, 14, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I've got the LX7 and it's a very good camera. I was considering the new m43 Lumix GM1, which has a body size similar to the Sony RX100 and a fairly compact lens. Overall, about the same size as the LX7 (although not the same price ).
Old Jan 12, 14, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
There are certainly better options at the $400-and-up part of the range, but at the cheaper part of the range, the Canon S110 (latest of the S90 and on series) is very hard to beat. It's $219 on Amazon, which is at the nicer end of general consumer camera territory, but has a larger sensor (if not as big as the Sony RX series), great high-iso performance, a bright lens, and raw shooting.

Granted, there are a ton of $400-ish cameras which have all the same features (including the new S120) but most of them are chunkier... the only comparable option I've seen in the sub-$300 price class (LX7) is not really pocketable.

I love my S95. There's nothing in the S100/110/120 that would convince me to replace it right now, but when it goes I see no reason to stray from this model line.
Old Jan 15, 14, 5:17 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Tired of carrying around my Nikon DLSR I got the RX100 for a recent trip to New York and thought it was great. Picture quality was superb, only thing I missed was the zoom of course.

Just had a look at the Panasonic GM1 as mentioned above and that looks like it could be a winner. Still got the option to return the RX100 so I may do that and pay a little more to upgrade to the Panasonic.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: