Search

EVIL for travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
EVIL for travel

So a lot of people are looking at Micro 4/3 or some other formats which are smaller, lighter yet still have interchangeable lenses and the ability to use filters.

I went for DSLR because the sensor was bigger. But now, I'm intrigued by the NEX series. They're not that much smaller and lighter -- you still can't pocket them.

But they have the APS-C sensors and NEX7 was acclaimed for having one of the best if not best IQ among APS-C cameras. Lens selection isn't as great as my D7000 but so far, for travel, I mostly use wide angle (not prime, haven't been able to justify a fast wide-angel prime) or telephoto (and most of the time under 150 mm on a crop).

The intriguing thing is the built-in HDR. Yes I know you can do better bracketing the shots and using software. But there are situations in travel where you're not allowed to use tripods or you don't want to carry them.

Plus, the rhythm of travel photography, at least for me, is to shoot and run, not deliberate over getting the perfect shots. (Incidentally why I haven't filmed as much video, because really not that easy to take, edit and produce good video, without a lot of planning and work afterwards).

So besides the size and weight, these smaller cameras may offer certain advantages over DSLRs in travel photography.

Anyone else contemplating a switch or have made such a switch?
Old May 1, 2012, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I plan on renting the NEX7 for my Yellowstone trip next month...as I posted in the NEX thread I created the other day, I'm not sure how to handle the lens situation.

The 18-200 is too slow and has picture quality issues. I could go with a fast wide angle prime and use the camera as a rangefinder, hoping the 24MP quality delivers excellent "zoom quality" when I crop - but I don't think digital crops are a good idea, quality wise.

I don't plan on shooting too much wildlife, but want stunning crispness and color depth to capture landscape detail, waterfalls, colored mud pots, etc.

I'm intrigued by the Zeiss 16-80MM lens, but it needs an adapter - by the time I snap everything together, I'll have a DSLR-size camera with all the weight out in front.

I think the camera itself is great - but the lack of quality E-mount lenses is a big handicap.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I've seen some fantastic interiors shot with the 20 or 24 mm Zeiss 2.0 I believe it is? The lens is like $1000. This was with in-camera HDR too, so the tonal range was terrific.

That would be good for landscapes and darker areas.

But you probably want the telephoto reach as an option too.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wco81
I've seen some fantastic interiors shot with the 20 or 24 mm Zeiss 2.0 I believe it is? The lens is like $1000. This was with in-camera HDR too, so the tonal range was terrific.

That would be good for landscapes and darker areas.

But you probably want the telephoto reach as an option too.
Yes, telephoto is very important. I don't need anything crazy like 400mm and up, but I'd like to at least range from 16/18 on the wide end (without distortion) to 125mm on the long (up to 200mm with a small amount of cropping from full resolution RAW).

My current Sigma 18-200 mated to a Digital Rebel XT just falls apart on anything beyond 100mm...not distortion as much as a complete loss of sharpness.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Major color fringing issues with WA and UWA lenses on the NEX7.

Due to the sensor size, emount lenses are not much smaller than DSLR lenses. M43 has far better lens selection than any other "compact" system.

IMHO, the best balance is m43. I carry every day in a Tenba mini-messenger (which easily fits in even RJ and EMB overheads):
Panasonic G3
Leica D 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 (with adapter until a native version comes out later this year)
Panasonic 8/3.5 fisheye
Panasonic 20/1.7
Panasonic/Leica 45/2.8 macro
Panasonic 45-200/4.0-5.6
iPad
Wallet, passport, memory sticks, etc - without this, I could probably carry another body

I have printed up to 13x19 images cropped from my old 12 MP GF1, and the image quality is outstanding. I really don't know why I would need the 24 MP's of the NEX7(and the accompanying low light performance loss - man, what a sensor that would be at 16 MP)
Old May 5, 2012, 11:08 pm

I'm the same as ~tc~ and went the m43 route mainly due to issues with the quality of the Sony lenses and the fact that since the Nex series is using an APS-C sensor they're really no smaller than what you have for a DSLR (and imo it's lenses that take up the space/weight, the body is only a small part).

I'm using an EP-3 atm but will get an OM-D once the initial launch fuss is over and supply stabilises. The idea of running with this combo is it gives APS-C quality images, high end APS-C DSLR functionality and around half the size and weight. I also use the tenba mini messenger which takes all the camera gear plus laptop, work papers, power supply's etc so I can do a 1 week 2 suit international work trip with just a 20" rollaboard and the mini messenger as my personal item. There's just no way I could do that with a DSLR or with a Nex
Old May 5, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: United Platinum
I got a NEX 5N at Christmas for when I didn't want to carry my Canon 7D and lenses around. With a Tamron 18-200 zoom it still fits in a jacket pocket for skiing/hiking etc. I really like it, especially the ISO range and image quality from the APS-C sensor. It won't replace my SLR, but is a great alternative when I don't want the big camera but want something better than my iPhone :-)

I wouldn't get rid of an SLR in favor of it, but if you can afford both it's a good option.

Bob
Old May 6, 2012, 8:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I think the NEX 7 got reviewed as having the best IQ of any APS-C camera.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: *G
im not interested in the bulk and million buttons of APS

the NEX-7, OM-D, and X100 (/XPro1) are IMO the top 3 serious/prosumer mirrorless cameras out there

i however like shooting wide angle and the aforementioned reason is why im not big on the NEX7.

i now own both the OMD and X100. what i discover i would not like about hte NEX, projected from using the OMD, is that i prefer the external controls of the X100. a marked knob for aperture, shutter, and EVcomp. no need to refer to the viewfinder or LCD to see camera setting. A/S knobs also have A(utomatic) mode, effectively setting camera to Av/Tv/M ... no need for silly PASM dial

also it has a bright and fast F2.0 lens. currently the m4/3 compact 40mm prime is impossible to find (Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake)

so fuji is my choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.