Wiki Posts
Search

Canon 7D advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Canon 7D advice

I have had a Canon Rebel XTI (which I think is aka the Rebel 400D) for about 5 years now. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while. My last big upgrade was new lenses: I went from the 17-85mm EF-S lens to the 24-105 f/4L and also got the 50mm f/1.4, 10-22mm, and one of the less-good telephoto zooms.

I want a new camera body, and I've pretty much settled on the 7D so I can keep using my beloved wide angle 10-22 (which is EF-S). Plus, while I like the idea of full frame sensor, I'm not convinced it would make much of a difference for me. I mainly shoot vacation photos, and sometimes walking-about-town photos.

My mom the other day asked what the 7D could do that my current camera can't. I think the answer for me lies in better high-ISO performance and a faster AF system for action shots. But I realized I have no great answer that can justify the price, aside from wanting a new gadget. I would probably shoot some video, but limited, and certainly not enough for it to be a factor. When I want video, I'll probably just use my phone.

Those of you with the 7D (or its equivalents): what were deciding factors in the purchase?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:57 am

Honestly, I'd upgrade your glass before getting the 7D.

BUT, the extra autofocus points, can shoot at a faster fps, and can shoot at a higher ISO are all good reasons to move up.

That being said, it's still not full-frame. If it were me, I'd get better glass then go for the 5D after I was happy with my glass.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
XTi/400D was my first dSLR. I upgraded to the 40D and then the 7D when that came out.

The 7D is all about speed. Of course, compared to the XTi, it has much better AF - more points, faster and higher accuracy. And much higher frame rate. But it's also about ergonomics and control. With the extra joystick, you can manually control the auto-focus point extremely quickly. And the quick dial on back to do exposure compensation (or whatever fits you).

But also the 3 customs exposure mode, which is very very useful. For example, I set up one for outdoor, low ISO for scenery. Second one for interior with high ISO. Third for action shot with high ISO, continuous shooting, AI Servo AF.

I take most pictures when traveling, and the 7D allowed me to get much more useable shots than my previous dSLRs, without slowing me down at all. Outside bright sunshine, walk into a dark church, or something happening around me. Immediately, I can shoot at the best or near best shooting modes.

Now, ask yourself if you need those. Besides the cost, it's also a much heavier camera than the Rebel/x00 series. And with its extensive customized settings, it takes some time to set it up for your preferences. If you want something similar in size and control to what you have, the T3i/600D is really an awesome camera. The picture quality and low light performance is basically the same as the 7D, which is a significant improvement over the XTi/400D.

Last edited by rkkwan; Apr 24, 2012 at 9:30 am
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the perspectives.

I'm puzzled at the suggestion of upgrading lenses. The only one I'd want to upgrade is the telephoto, and frankly I don't use it enough to really care. I'm quite happy with the 24-105 f/4L as a walkaround lens, and the 50mm f/1.4 is a great prime.

The idea of the T3i is intriguing...though part of the reason for the 7D is the bigger size, which feels better in my hand. I'm not worried about weight.

I'm glad you mention speed: this is one of the issues I have with the xTi. I've missed many photos because I couldn't adjust settings and focus in time.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
So I had (still have, Mrs GHF uses it) one of the original Digital Rebels (300D). I went to the 7D a couple of years ago and never looked back.

The 7D is faster, the sensor is better, it is controllable through Windows 7 (the Rebel uses an older communications format that won't work with Win 7 and the workaround - PTP - won't handle raw files or really control the camera), better programmability, better focus points, and the ability to store both JPG and Raw files when shot. The 7D will do video but it's not all that practical - I use it when I don't want to bring a HD video camera. I also use flash slaving (don't recall that the Rebel will do that). There's more....

I don't know how much of that the XTi will do.

The communications format is a big deal for me. We just moved my wife to a Win 7/64 machine & it is more complex to download photos (on XP, the Canon software recognized the camera and downloaded automatically.... on 7, you can use PTP by resetting the camera & download through Microsoft's interface or you can use a card reader and copy).
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 24-105L seems long to me as a walkaround lens, but if that's been working for you (along with the 10-22), then I guess it's not an issue. [I bought the 17-55/2.8 soon after I got my XTi/400D. Two bodies and 5+ years later, it's still the lens that attach to my main body most of the time.]

The 50/1.4 is fine as is, though I love the 35L/1.4 more. [Yes, I know it costs a lot more.]

Anyways, if you only need the bigger size, but not all the controls and speed of the 7D, then the 60D may be just right for you. Seriously, it offers little more than the T3i/600D, other than size.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
The 24-105L seems long to me as a walkaround lens, but if that's been working for you (along with the 10-22), then I guess it's not an issue. [I bought the 17-55/2.8 soon after I got my XTi/400D. Two bodies and 5+ years later, it's still the lens that attach to my main body most of the time.]

The 50/1.4 is fine as is, though I love the 35L/1.4 more. [Yes, I know it costs a lot more.]

Anyways, if you only need the bigger size, but not all the controls and speed of the 7D, then the 60D may be just right for you. Seriously, it offers little more than the T3i/600D, other than size.
I guess I'm just used to the 24-105.

My only beef with the 50mm is that it's a bit too telephoto for what I like using it for, but I suppose that's more a reflection of the APS sensor than the lens.

I'll check out the 60D as well...but knowing me, I'll wind up with the 7D anyway.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have had a Canon Rebel XTI (which I think is aka the Rebel 400D) for about 5 years now. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while. My last big upgrade was new lenses: I went from the 17-85mm EF-S lens to the 24-105 f/4L and also got the 50mm f/1.4, 10-22mm, and one of the less-good telephoto zooms.

I want a new camera body, and I've pretty much settled on the 7D so I can keep using my beloved wide angle 10-22 (which is EF-S). Plus, while I like the idea of full frame sensor, I'm not convinced it would make much of a difference for me. I mainly shoot vacation photos, and sometimes walking-about-town photos.

My mom the other day asked what the 7D could do that my current camera can't. I think the answer for me lies in better high-ISO performance and a faster AF system for action shots. But I realized I have no great answer that can justify the price, aside from wanting a new gadget. I would probably shoot some video, but limited, and certainly not enough for it to be a factor. When I want video, I'll probably just use my phone.

Those of you with the 7D (or its equivalents): what were deciding factors in the purchase?
I made a somewhat similar leap three years ago on the Nikon side: I went from a D70 to a D300 (the jump in technologies was probably even greater in my case). It was worth every penny. For me, the most significant improments were the vastly improved autofocus system, a far better LCD, a better viewfinder, much faster operation, a more solid and weatherproofed body, improved battery life, better color rendering, vastly superior ISO range. And, yes, the leap in resolution from 6MP to 12 MP did not hurt either.

If you like your cameras on the large side, also consider a vertical grip. I have one on my D300 and I never, ever take it off. It makes the camera more solid and stable and gives a whole new dimension to vertical shooting, plus it gives even more battery life.

Cheers,
T.

Last edited by Thalassa; Apr 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It's new and cool!!! Isn't that all we need to buy new toys...

To be honest, unless you're cropping quite a bit and printing large format, it's hard to objectively justify most body upgrades unless you make a living with it. Normal vacation photos rarely need 7fps, ISO6400+, remote flash trigger, magnesium body, etc., etc. Frankly, I could probably still be shooting with my 10D, certainly my 40D, and get most of what I need for what I shoot/display (18x12 usually). Yes, the 10D would be frustratingly slow, and I use the AF options on the 7D periodically, but a logical justification for the additional cost would be a challenge.

But hobbies don't have to be logical. (Moms sometimes don't get that - they also drive around in nice practical cars, buy sensible clothes, cook at home, etc - where's the fun in that)

Regarding lenses - I'm no cheapskate when it comes to photo gear and probably have 8 or 9 lenses. And the 10-22 and 24-105 have a permanent place in my bag, along with the 70-200/2.8 or 100-400, depending on what I'm going to shoot. If I were starting over, the 17-55/2.8 may fit in there, but I wouldn't think at all about replacing what you already have.

(I'll second the recommendation on a grip, and I think everyone should have a card reader for transferring files. Just sooooo much easier.)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks...I'm coping with the fact that 65% of the purchase desire is due to "oooh! new toy!".

I have a card reader, and don't think I've ever plugged my camera into my computer. I wish Canon would switch to SD cards in their prosumer cameras...my laptop has a built in SD card reader that I never use.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:41 am

I am nothing to state else that i am going to buy it simply i am crazy of it
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:45 am

I'm puzzled at the suggestion of upgrading lenses. The only one I'd want to upgrade is the telephoto, and frankly I don't use it enough to really care. I'm quite happy with the 24-105 f/4L as a walkaround lens, and the 50mm f/1.4 is a great prime.
In that case, if you have no plans to upgrade your glass or get other glass, then only drawback I have for you is that it is still a crop sensor.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:47 am

Thanks...I'm coping with the fact that 65% of the purchase desire is due to "oooh! new toy!".

I have a card reader, and don't think I've ever plugged my camera into my computer. I wish Canon would switch to SD cards in their prosumer cameras...my laptop has a built in SD card reader that I never use.
I think some of the new Canon bodies have switched to SD cards (5D2 had both CF and SD slots, IIRC). I look every so often as I would like to update the Rebel XT (350D) to a newer version.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta DM
Like everyone else, upgrade your glass first, then when money permits go with a new body. You are only as good as your best glass.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but the OP already has good glass and an ancient body.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.