Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Do you think instagram makes all our photos look the same?

Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Hi people, do you think instagram makes all our photos look the same?

more and more of us now just carry camera phones (in everyday use) but the quality is still not there yet.

bring back kodak.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by jaspermanhattan
... do you think instagram makes all our photos look the same?
Popular trends make photographs look the same.

A photographer got on a ladder to photograph a medium or larger group from the near 'eagle eye view', and for a while, that's all you saw for group photo arrangements in marketing literature and periodicals.

Big Head, tiny body?

Laser background fad for school photos?

Fake film rebates?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I think Instagram makes all its photos look crappy. "Look at my pseudo-retro camera filter! It's like my camera phone is a dinky camera from 1965."
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
No, I think Instagram makes all its photos look crappy. "Look at my pseudo-retro camera filter! It's like my camera phone is a dinky camera from 1965."
+1^∞
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:04 am

I'm inclined to agree with this.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Flahusky
+1^∞
Which, interestingly enough, is 1.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:28 am

+1
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by reft
Popular trends make photographs look the same.

A photographer got on a ladder to photograph a medium or larger group from the near 'eagle eye view', and for a while, that's all you saw for group photo arrangements in marketing literature and periodicals.

Big Head, tiny body?

Laser background fad for school photos?

Fake film rebates?
This; while Instagram and its smartphone-filtered companions might make a lot of peoples' pictures look the same, it's only the latest in a long long series of terrible snapshot trends. The notable difference, at least in my opinion, is that - unlike most others - at least filters allow the possibility of legitimately artistic results, in the hands of someone with talent.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: Delta, American, United

Haha
I think for the people out there who take crappy pictures, I'd prefer to see all theirs as instagram. It's like seeing trash is rose tinted glasses... Doesn't look too bad, only you can't forget that smell...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Add Content
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: *A Silver
as a traditionalist i agree 100%, but carrying around all my plastic/retro cameras isnt easy

to OP, a fad is a fad is a fad, color correction in photos is nothing new but instragram makes it easy, also, a poorly composed/taken is a poor photo regardless of the filters used on it.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by reft
I've dealt with this a lot. As cliche as it's become, it solves several design problems, the biggest being that you can't hardly see what bad taste in clothes a lot of people have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.