Wiki Posts
Search

Timelapse from plane window..?!

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Timelapse from plane window..?!

Hello there,

I'm thinking of creating a timelapse video through the window of my plane.

I'm flying Lufthansa from JFK to FRA then FRA to DMM.

My tools onboard woud be my iPhone (with timelapse app), a regular Sony 12MP camera, and my macbook pro.

Of course, if I do this I'm going to be using the macbook to keep my iPhone on during the flight. If things "feel" okay (JFK TSA are complete moronic monsters) I'll stick my iPhone or my camera to the window with a piece of scotch tape.

The results won't be as good as this: http://youtu.be/8j36Erxd5rc

But I still feel like it would be fun to do.

Any chances of being stopped by a flight attendent for a "strange person taking pictures through the window the whole flight"? Maybe I'll find a friendly attendant and let them know what I'm doing?!

Not sure, so I need your advise.
Old May 9, 2011, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A few thoughts on this topic...

1) The TSA will have nothing to do with you by the time you're inside the airplane. Certainly they are not going to be the ones telling you to not tape your phone to the window.

2) Officially you are not supposed to have any electronics on during taxi/takeoff/landing. Whether you can get away with it (and choose to try) or not is up to you but we've got a whole thread here of shots that suggest it happens all the time.

3) I did it on my past few flights with a Flip video and no one cared, except the typical "all electronics off" comments.

These are three from last week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD4kuwBwAsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n-p53qLbhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ivFOXTBdQ
Old May 9, 2011, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
A few thoughts on this topic...
1) The TSA will have nothing to do with you by the time you're inside the airplane. Certainly they are not going to be the ones telling you to not tape your phone to the window.
Thanks for the response and the links.

I meant: the whole experience of going through the TSA at JFK airport makes one very wary of even trying to be artsy on a plane :P

I love how they keep yelling at crowds and throwing around the carry-on containers like they're the ones dealing with international affairs.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Thats a cool idea. I woudl be concerned with teh "all electronics" off situation as well. Some FAs don't notice, others are eagle-eyed and may reprimand you. Worth a shot though, I guess
Old May 16, 2011, 11:56 am

I think it sounds like a cool idea, but personally I wouldn't risk it. You could have a real strict flight attendant and who knows what how big of a stink they could make.
Old May 23, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP (qualified MVP for 2011), DL, AA
If you have the gear and the ability to power your device for the entire flight I would say its worth a shot. If you want to feel safe about doing it you could ask the FA if they would allow you to do that during flight (I would probably leave out the takeoff and landing part) and also ask the people around you to make sure they are all ok with it. As a photographer and an "artsy" person this sounds like a really cool idea, if you do it please post it here so we all can enjoy your trip! Good luck and safe travels!
Old May 24, 2011, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Welcome to Flyertalk flyingvibe and that video you linked was brilliant !! good luck on getting your project off the ground. Can't wait to see the results
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: Delta, American, United
I would go for it...the worst they'll say is "no"
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: MUCCI
If it is a dedicated camera (flip etc), and they challenge you for all electronics off, ask them if you are supposed to also remove the battery from your digital watch?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by David-A
If it is a dedicated camera (flip etc), and they challenge you for all electronics off, ask them if you are supposed to also remove the battery from your digital watch?

Getting in a fight with the FA when you know you're breaking the rules is childish and stupid.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
As a veteran take-off & landing photographer/videographer, I usually wait to start taking photos or movies until the FAs have taken their jumpseats.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
As a veteran take-off & landing photographer/videographer, I usually wait to start taking photos or movies until the FAs have taken their jumpseats.
Sneaky!!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:23 am

once they're in their jumpseats, your only concern is the stares of your seatmates
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by happythrive
once they're in their jumpseats, your only concern is the stares of your seatmates
Like Mrs. Jet'Dillo, who has been more than happy to rat me out on occasion. (still doesn't stop me )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.