Northern Light Camera

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northern Light Camera

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Northern Light Camera

Hello All,
After my last ELPH310 went kaput, I am confronted with the task to find my next camera. Next month I am travelling to Alaska to hopefully catch some Aurora.

My budget is US$200-400 and I am looking at something that could take decent picture of the aurora. I understand I need a wide angle as in 24-28mm and the largest aperture possible (greater than 2.8) and the largest sensor possible.

S100: no more than ISO-80 and 15s so not an option
S95: a possibility
ELPH310: f2.0 and CHDK could do something good
LX5 ?

Or some older generation Micro 43 (GF2, GF3). Most of these come with lenses with aperture around 3.5. Dunno if a larger sensor and f3.5 would be better than the S95 at f2.0 ?

Any advice?
I am not looking at SLR due to budget and mostly size constraint. Am I overlooking serious contenders?

The S95 was supposed to have good high ISO performance back in the days. However, the new CMOS sensor seems to be yielding good results and until the S100 gets CHDK, I am stuck with smaller size CMOS sensor in the P&S category.

My regards,
Minos
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm planning on heading for a Northern Lights trip in October & I have an SLR (which I really need to learn to use!)

This may be worth a read - http://www.alaskaphotographyblog.com...igital-camera/

Also, I think a tripod is VERY important & so is a warm battery (and/or backup battery).
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:11 pm
Suspended

For relatively long exposures at night (i.e. auroras) a decent tripod and a camera capable of long exposures (i.e a "bulb" mode) with a remote release are pretty much mandatory. The GF1 has a remote release port and a bulb mode I believe. The GF2 and GF3 don't I believe.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Indeed, towards the higher part of the budget bracket, I have identified the following two:
- GF3 with 14mm f2.5
- Sony NEX C with 16mmm f2.8

However this is quite a bit above my budget.

In terms of noise, what is the sensor size / aperture relationship?
ie
For the same amount of noise, am I better with f2.0 and sensor 1.6 or f2.8 and sensor APS-C or f2.5 and sensor m43?

Minos
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:08 am
Original Poster

So I have finally come up with the following three systems. Still not sure which one would be better for Aurora:

- Panasonic DMC-GF3 with 14mm f2.5 ASPH ($552)
- Panasonic DMC-GF2 with 14mm f2.5 ASPH ($450)

- Sony NEX C3 with 16mm f2.8 ($499)

Any ideas to tip the balance.
The SONY sensor seems better (for low light high ISO) while the PANA lens seems to be better (both in Aperture and corner sharpness). The Sony one is slightly wider (24mm eqv instead of 28mm eqv)

I really do not know where to go...Any help?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles (silver) & AA Advantage
I would agree that a sturdy tripod is essential. Remote release, not so much. I've shot a lot of the aurora and never had a remote release . . . photos turned out great!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:05 pm

Check into the Canon S95. Fully able to function via manual controls and turns out excellent photos. It's towards the top of your price range but well worth the money.

As for DSLRs, I wouldn't down them so fast. Yes, they are bigger BUT take such nice quality pictures that you really can't get from a camera with a smaller sensor. Most smaller cameras do really well now and likely you can find something that will do the job but if you really want the best, I'd look into an older model Canon Rebel (like an XTi or such). I would think you could find one in the 400 range...even used is ok as long as it's in good condition. They typically come with an 18-55mm lens which works pretty well considering it's a kit lens.

But I would go for the Canon S95 if you didn't quite want a DSLR but did want good quality. I don't trust Sony for quality of pictures, although some can put out ok. Panasonics are a dark horse in photography...not all that bad.

Here's the Canon Rebel XS within your price range:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XS-Digit...389563&sr=1-15

You will definitely need a tripod. Definitely. Shooting anything low light and getting good quality pictures requires that your camera be as still as possible and hand shake is an issue at such low shutter speeds/high ISO/whatever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.